Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 06:12AM

Went to church in a local, old and established Presbyterian church with a friend. He had been asking me to go for an extended time. He's quite religious, and is a brilliant individual who's also very interested in Mormonism, purely from the academic standpoint, reading about it voraciously, even looking forward to General Conference. I had put off church with him for so long that it was beginning to be rude, so I met him and his family there this yesterday.

My report is, if you're going to put your life into the hands of some religious leader, anyway, make sure he's qualified. The two pastors delivered a fantastic service, one hour jam-packed with New Testament action. The music was beautiful, with real singers and an organist of Tabernacle quality, playing a large pipe organ. The tunes were familiar, the lyrics the unchanged Protestant verses (i.e., no Joseph Smith or "restoration" words).

The sanctuary and overflow were packed. People came to worship and seemed to enjoy. They were dressed in a variety of ways, from suits and dresses to shorts and flip-flops. Plenty of smartly dressed women in sleeveless dresses (because it's rather hot here), no shaming, no old men glowering. And a church with a local and established mission, finding foster parents to provide care to the thousands of kids who need it here. They did a short televised ad for it right in the middle of the service.

And they had coffee, cold lemon water, and sodas available, even for during the service.

The people were surprisingly happy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 07:17AM

Makes you wonder more why so many Mormons stick around, eh?

So true about other churches often having much nicer services. That is why I am okay continuing to play the organ at a Christian church even though I no longer consider myself Christian. Better atmosphere, shorter service with better sermons, and I get paid to play better music and am expected to develop my musical abilities.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 07:52AM

I visited a beautiful old Presbyterian church a few years ago as a musical performer, but stayed for the whole service of course.
It was lovely!

The pastor gave a very well-constructed, beautifully delivered, interesting and inspiring sermon that related to current life challenges. Not a peep about obedience. It was as if he really wanted to HELP the people in the room have a better life. Imagine that.

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 08:10AM

Glad to read about your nice Sunday at the Presbyterian church. A completely different atmosphere, not the boring sacrament meetings!

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:00AM

So if those churches are so great then why is Mormonism the fastest growing religion?

Okay, that was a Mormon brain trying to justify why they sit through mind numbing repetitious drivel. Mormonism isn't the fastest growing religion, but maybe the fastest dying religion.

Although I'm not a believer in any religion, I can see the appeal of a service like you experienced. Some old rock church with stained glass windows in a canopy of trees, that is filled with kind people to visit and have coffee with is a church I could get support.

Posted by: finnan haddie ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:05AM

danr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So if those churches are so great then why is
> Mormonism the fastest growing religion?

Har har.

But cultish religion will always have its niche. Lovebombing works.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:06AM

I was raised Presbyterian and didn't appreciate it until I met my exmo husband.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:31AM

Immediately after my departure from Mormonism I attended many churches to compare experiences. I was very impressed by the Dutch Reform church near my grandmother's house. I stayed for Sunday School and was blown away by the professional lesson that was taught. The handouts and references as well as historical facts that accompanied the lesson were amazing. It was more of a religion class one would expect to be taught at a major university!

Posted by: incredulous ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 10:08AM

It was an amazing experience when I began attending a progressive Christian church. I feel happy while I'm there and go home inspired to do good - not because I've been guilted into it, but because of how empowered I feel. For the first month, I cried through most of the service, because I was so relieved and happy to be free.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 10:59AM

So, then, you were somewhat persuaded by a slick presentation and professional-level music...along with a few refreshments?

:)

From my point of view, they just have a better sales pitch than the mormons do. Same product, though. Different model perhaps (like Ford vs. Chevy), but same product.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 12:13PM

It was actually the coffee. Likely won't be going back because at home I have my own coffee and better music. But would I rather spend an hour with the Presbyterians than three with the Mormons? Any day. There was just no comparison whatever.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 12:36PM

I love attending Calvary Chapel SLC once in awhile. The pastor, Terry Long, has tattoos and rides a Harley. The service is just over and hour long and I get to wear jeans -- which is great. Plus, they have a band that plays some rockin' Christian music.

I was never a temple-worthy Mormon and when I attended the LDS Church wearing a sleeveless dress, people treated me (especially men) like I was diseased.

Screw 'em!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.