Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:15AM

I've been a coffee-drinker since my teenage years. It was a fun way to rebel. I used to put lots of cream and sugar in it, but these day's I drink it black. I can do without the other niceties. But my academic friends always have tea instead of coffee. I like it. I can drink it every day the way I drink coffee. It's inexpensive and very cosmopolitan. ButwWhat are the health advantages? It certainly seems easier on my stomach.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 04:16AM by Troy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:27AM

It sure makes my mugs difficult to clean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 04:27AM by Troy.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:51AM

I have always liked both tea, and coffee, but I like the variety of flavors in tea better. On the other hand good coffee is awesome, but I cannot afford it. For my personal health reasons, too much coffee is bad, because it dehydrates me.

My dad used to bleach his coffee cups.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:48AM

The say that Green tea is supposed to contains 'antioxidants' which are good for your health for some reason or other.

I don't believe either is 'good' or 'bad' for your health when taken in moderation.

It's just personal preference. I like Tea. Earl Grey or Jasmine, although mostly I drink standard blended tea.
I dont like coffee so much, unless its mucked about with (lots of cream, whipped milk, sugar, etc)

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 06:14AM

A little ditty from a little band from my locality - the Lancashire Hotpots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM1jQ8cIFuU

So I suppose, you know where I stand?

Briggy

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:20PM

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:52AM

This is my vice...I pick this up during my lunch breaks.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pov0TgR0eJQ/SwRynCAiB8I/AAAAAAAAB7w/-PLWz3S74RI/s1600/Sweet+Leaf+Tea+bottle.jpg

As per which you drink, it's all personal preference. There's no reason you can't drink both.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:55AM

Iced Sweet Tea, thank you. (he says with a suthin' drawl)

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 11:10AM

I had a weird experience with teeth staining right before my wedding a couple years ago. It turned out it was the brand of mouthwash I had just started using, but I stopped drinking coffee while trying to figure out what was causing the stains. I just never went back to drinking it on a regular basis after that. I still enjoy coffee on occasion, but it tends to make me jittery. I really like green tea, and drink that most mornings at work.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:11PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:20PM

Don't worry about what other people think or what seems more in vogue or urban or whatever. If you like tea more, then drink that. Or don't drink anything at all if you prefer. Nobody is going to judge you either way.

Tea makes me feel relaxed and good, but I prefer the taste of coffee. Also, coffee makes me ready to focus and work. I never tried either until my 30s. I like my tea without any additives. Putting in anything just spoils it. However, I love the froofie coffees with lots of cream and sugar, though I use an artificial sweetener now. I also like Diet Coke.

I don't care what anyone thinks. My days of molding my life to suit the needs of other people ended with my involvement in the Mormon church.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:40PM

and my cups MUCH more than coffee does.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:11PM

I love Chai tea- the spicier the better!

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:34PM

I like tea, iced or hot. I like coffee, iced or hot. I agree with rain, Chai is very yummy as well. I just drink what I am in the mood for on a given day and I don't care what anyone else thinks about my choice. lol I had enough of that from TSCC. :)

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:41PM

Green tea may help prevent colon cancer.

Jean Carper (writes on health issues in those weekly magazines that come with the newspaper) called tea a "miracle" drink because of the many health benefits. And listed a bunch of benefits. But that was a while back.

And the cancer prevention is the only one I remember.

I know someone who thinks she can handle the caffeine better in tea. It has about half the amount.

There are some really nice herbal teas (chamomile or Sleepy Time) that help you relax and sleep. And some that are supposed to fight infection (Golden Seal--disGUSTing, though).

But I prefer coffee with hot chocolate in it. MMMMMMMMM.

Posted by: samantha ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:27PM

Well I liked iced tea, but only if it is unsweeted and unflavored.

And I love coffee, but I drink it black. I just don't like flavorings or cream.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 03:00PM

I like both and select which I want depending on my mood, the availability of the substance and how much effort I want to put into the process.

Mood: I tend to prefer tea when I am alone and wanting to pamper myself. Snowy Sunday morning, fire in the fire place, warm blanket, a good book, and a nice pot of fresh brewed tea, life is good.

Availability: Let's face it, in the USA a good cup of tea is not always available.

Effort: I have a coffee pot with a timer so I can have fresh coffee waiting for me when I wake up. There is no way that I know of that one can set a timer and get a good pot of tea. To do tea right takes more effort than brewing a pot of coffee.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 04:44PM

I love coffee, hot or iced, and tea hot or iced. Right now, I'm having some straight espresso at home. I especially love Bigelow's Constant Comment tea, and not only is it great hot, it also makes a delicious iced tea.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 05:01PM

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:00PM

coffee in the morning

green tea in the afternoon

peppermint/ginger/decaf tea in evening

Posted by: mi ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 08:45PM

Amen.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:13PM

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:26PM

http://www.nursingdegree.net/blog/18/33-health-benefits-of-drinking-tea/

unfortunately, milk in tea lowers the antioxident benefit. Lemon is fine (I keep individual sachets of powdered lemon in my desk drawer. But I must insist you do it the proper way--hot up the pot first, boiling BOILING water and LOOSE tea. The lowest grade of tea leaves (dust) os what they put in those insidious little bags, and the leftover leaves make excellent compost.

Posted by: mi ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 08:47PM

Coffee is acidic, so it can be hard on the stomach. This is especially true for those prone to ulcers and acid reflux. But it tastes oh so good.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 09:23PM

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:28PM

False dichotomy. Drink both. Enjoy both based on how you feel today.

Posted by: testiphony ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 04:09AM

I love the taste of black coffee I grind myself before brewing, but I hate the crash from it, irritability, confusion, fatigue.

I prefer Yerba Mate tea from S. America. Much less caffeine and a variety of natural stimulants like theobromine. Apparently its caffeine metabolizes easier. No crash, just clean, clear-headed energy. Acquired taste though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.