Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 06:40PM

So. I just get home this afternoon. Dogs start barking like crazy & I look out the window. Missionaries are at the house next door (nobody home). They get back on their bikes and 1 guy rides down the sidewalk to my home, makes a loop on my front lawn & crosses over the parkway strip into the street. I'm pissed. I've been on the do not contact list (apparently & GOOD) ever since I told the last set about Tom's telling of the Monson fraud lawsuit in England.
Now, maybe I'm on the "Anti, Heathen, Apostate", etc. list. Maybe that's why the kid, I mean Elder, thought it was ok to ride across my lawn.
They were 3 houses down when I got outside to call them over. I grilled the kid on why it was ok to do that. He said "I don't know" (I think he was the jr., as the other guy kept apologizing) I said that, that was not an answer. He started apologizing & I kept pressing for an answer to why he thought that was ok. He finally said "it's a learning experience". I said "I thought you guys had all the answers & didn't you ever learn to respect other's property?" They had no answers. I asked the kid where he was from . Oklahoma. (I'm from TX & there's a big rivalry). I said "Well, I'll give you a pass because Oklahoma is full of dumbasses & you were probably never taught manners. They left.
A few minutes later, I noticed that one of my sprinkler heads was broken. Worked this morning & it' s right where he ran over my lawn. The bishop lives a few houses away. Should I tell him & ask for 6 bucks for a new sprinkler?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 06:46PM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should I tell him & ask
> for 6 bucks for a new sprinkler?

Nah, he'd send the mishies back to install it for you. It'd be an excuse to come back and pester you. On the other hand, you could "teach" them the whole time they were there! ;) and it'd be a good "learning experience" for them to fix what they broke, so maybe you should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 06:47PM by nomonomo.

Date: September 29, 2015 07:01PM

Actually, maybe it would be a "learning experience" to be down in the dirt fixing what they broke. Don't think that would lead to them wanting to come back. I could read the polygamy essays or the CES letter while they were fixing it. Think they have a list of "Anti's" and have no respect for us?

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 06:54PM

What little shits! Sorry that happened to you.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 06:59PM

When you buy a new sprinkler head, send the mission president the bill along with an explanation of how the missionaries damaged it. Explain that you never want to see missionaries on your lawn or your property again. Who rides over someone's lawn? That's ridiculous.

Date: September 29, 2015 07:11PM

I know where the bishop lives (3 doors down), but how would you find out who the mission president is? I'd actually like a face to face with an understanding to stay away from my porch & home.

Date: September 29, 2015 07:22PM

Google "LDS mission president [your state]." It may take a little bit of sleuthing, but I found the mission and MP for my state easily.

Date: September 29, 2015 07:45PM

Thank you. Do you think I should involve my neighbor/bishop?
He already knows my feelings regarding his cult.

Date: September 29, 2015 07:55PM

Personally, I wouldn't. I'd go straight to the MP.

Date: September 29, 2015 08:03PM

Thanks. I googled & found a mess. I don't have access to the lds website, so that may make a difference.

Date: September 29, 2015 08:56PM

Any help summer?

Date: September 29, 2015 09:58PM

Where are you?

Date: September 29, 2015 10:12PM

Draper UT. I'd appreciate anything you can find.
Zip code 84020

Thanks.

Date: September 29, 2015 10:25PM

I'm not sure. Try calling the Utah Orem mission. If it's not them, they can direct you:

http://preparetoserve.com/utah-orem-mission/

612 W 100 S
Lindon, Utah 84042

Phone Number: 801-796-3422
Mission President: President Chris D. Killpack

The other possibilities as far as I can determine are Utah Provo and Utah SLC South.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:05PM

I like your solution, Summer. And, no need for reimbursement in person;the MP could mail the check.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:45PM

Hey, you damn kids -- get off my lawn!

Sorry, couldn't resist. The perennial cry of the aging (and I'm right there with ya). :)

Date: September 29, 2015 07:51PM

Yep. I thought the same thing. Any other neighborhood kids, without Mr. Mac suits, and I wouldn't get this riled up.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:56PM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep. I thought the same thing. Any other
> neighborhood kids, without Mr. Mac suits, and I
> wouldn't get this riled up.

There might be more of this kind of thing going on with the lowering of the mission age to 18. Stick 'em with the bill, I say. It's not the money, a few bucks -- it's the lesson they'll (hopefully) learn.

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 08:02AM

If you charge the church, mission pres. for the sprinkler head, remember, that many areas let you charge a 'multiple' of damages! Check with a legal person/website.... And, by all means, don't listen to me, I have no legal standing!

Posted by: Okie ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:56PM

I just wanted to clarify that not all of us Okies are that way with another's property.

Just like not all Longhorn Fans are entitled brats. ;) Sorry about Saturday.

Date: September 29, 2015 07:59PM

Ha! I know that. Have a lot of good friends in OK. But, we still give each other crap.

Posted by: okie ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 08:31PM

Yes, we do. :)

Date: September 29, 2015 10:16PM

You know why Texas doesn't slide off in to the Gulf of Mexico?
Because Oklahoma sucks.

Posted by: okie ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 11:29PM

I heard it differently. The wind goes south in Oklahoma because Texas sucks and Nebraska blows. :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 10:25PM

I can't swear to the accuracy:

Utah Salt Lake City South Mission
8060 S 615 E
SANDY, UT 84070
USA

Phone Number: 1-801-568-9003
Mission President: President Robert E. Chambers

It could be Utah Orem, but that wouldn't make 'map' sense. I got this from http://preparetoserve.com/missionary-blog-index/

Date: September 29, 2015 10:33PM

Awesome. That address is only 5 miles from here. Makes a lot more sense than Orem. I appreciate it. Will return & report. Thank you.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 11:43PM

I see we share the same flawed logic used by Mormons.

Not all bad things done by Mormons are because of Mormonism.

I see 19 year olds do dumb things every day at work and they aren't Mormons.

I was once a dumb 19 year old.

Give them a break.

And too bad you allowed them to control your emotions and make you angry. Guess Mormons still control us.

Date: September 29, 2015 11:56PM

No. Mormons don't control me. Poor manners & property destruction piss me off. Give me your address & let me damage your property & see if my actions control you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 03:30AM

If missionaries aren't old enough to respect personal property, their church and parents shouldn't send them out to damage it.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 01:22AM

Is it worth the trouble to pursue it? It would put you more in contact with the church, rather than less. And for what benefit?

Sure, it was an annoying gesture to ride on your lawn, but I think it was already over the top to call them over and lecture them about it. You made your point with the boys already.

Sprinkler heads bust all the time. Yes, it's annoying. Sometimes it's the dogs. Sometimes it's the lawnmower, or a careless gardener (me). And sometimes it's a stupid kid on a bike. If you need to hire someone to fix it, then I'd consider asking the church to send someone over to do the job.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 02:27AM

If you want to do it, do it! That's what life is all about!

There are some days I'd shine the whole thing on, and other days where I'd make a placard and march back and forth in front of the mission home until they coughed up the money for the replacement and the value of my time to go to Home Depot, drive home, unscrew the old sprinkler and screw in the new one.

Do what makes you content with life!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 08:58AM

Gawd I hate entitled 19-year-old missionary brats. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. (With apologies to those here who have their own said "brats" serving a mission somewhere).

Whoops, not really - I don't apologize. I don't have much respect for any parent who has raised one of those little "priesthood-holding" arrogant SOB's (Mo or Exmo).

I still can't believe the year-long harassment we endured when our family formally resigned from the church. I escalated our complaints all the way to the church's legal arm - Kirton and McConkie law firm in SLC. And it wasn't just about a sprinkler or some such thing...it was a HUNDRED little passive-aggressive acts like that.

To the OP: Call the MP and hit him hard. When I finally made that particular phone call, serious intervention started to occur. Good luck. Sprinklers are just the beginning! Ha!!

;o)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.