Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 11:30PM

As my name says, I am a nevermo, and stumbled across this website while trying to figure out one of their doctrines. In the past I had studied about Mormonism, and know a lot of the basics.

I'm a former evangelical Christian who got stuck for many years in a cultish group. I got out of the group when we moved about 9 years ago, and out of churches for good about 8 years ago. It's been pretty traumatizing to me. I can't say I really have faith in anything now. However, it has been terribly hard because my husband and I moved hundreds of miles away from my normal family and normal friends as well as the cultish group. I've generally had to do this on my own, except for a few attempts with other forums. My husband is still a churchgoer.

I've been lurking for a couple of days, and I really feel a connection here. I've gone through so many of the same situations. This seems like it would be a good place for me right now. Can I stay for a bit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 11:36PM

Welcome. Been here for years, learned a lot.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 11:37PM

you can only stay here if you are a mormon or a non-mormon.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 08:01AM

And if you post, or don't post.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 11:34PM

You should also definitely agree with other opinions, or not agree.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 11:38PM

We have other never Mos here. One is even a site administrator.

So sure, feel free to jump in. Then there are lurkers who just like to peek in. I do a little of both. :)

Welcome to RfM!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 11:38PM

I took a vote and Miss Kitty and I both say sure! You obviously have a bit of 'wacky' in you or there wouldn't be any pull at all to staying. It's on that basis that my cat and I affirmed you. So, don't hide the 'wack'!!

Welcome aboard and I hope you have a good time!

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 01:02AM

awwww
Like Steven Hassan said in Releasing the bonds, it's good to get to know the experiences of other exmembers of other cults besides the one you had to deal with

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 11:54PM

Also if we start posting using acronyms, names, abbreviations or rites which you may want more information on or clarity, let us know.

There really are no silly questions, especially for non-Mos or even young converts. We tend to use terms or names and assume all know what we're talking about, so if you have questions let us know.

Date: October 06, 2015 01:06AM

Thank you all. I just registered now, wouldn't let me use any caps, but here I am. I really appreciate the welcome (and I am sure my cats do too, elderolddog).

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 02:15AM

kinevermo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you all. I just registered now, wouldn't let
> me use any caps, but here I am.

I think you can go back and edit your screen name for caps, spaces, etc. Try it.

Date: October 06, 2015 07:52AM

Yes! Thank you so much!

Date: October 06, 2015 07:56AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 07:59AM by KiNeverMo.

Date: October 06, 2015 07:58AM

And... Learning how to use this board, lol...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 08:00AM by KiNeverMo.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 01:23AM

Lots to learn here, stimulating conversation, references and links, humor and occasional grief. And lots of cool people.

One thing you will notice: even though there might be a few barbs thrown here and there and lots of differences of opinions, when someone shows up hurting, they are embraced with love and support like nobody's business.

It's a wonderful community.

Posted by: Former poster ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 09:04AM

Will Twinker be at ex-Mo conference?

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 05:55PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 07:42PM by Twinker.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 02:04AM

Hi, there - come on in!! I am also a nevermo and have been here for three years. It's a good group.

-Sunny

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 02:57AM

GREAT to meet you mate!!!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 03:03AM

Nice to meet you :-)

I'm a nevermo too and I've been coming here for 8 years because, I agree, it has a fine selection of people with a great capacity for empathy and sympathy, as well as a highly-developed sense of humour.

Looking forward to reading your posts

Tom in Partis

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 03:07AM

I'm also a nevermo. Been here for about thirteen years. ;) Welcome!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 03:31AM

He's recovering from growing up in the Church of God and feels the connection here, too.

Stay as long as you like. We're glad to have you.

Date: October 06, 2015 08:03AM

Thank you all very much! I'm looking forward to getting involved. :) Hopefully this posted in the right place, please bear with me, lol.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 10:24AM

Hey, kinevermo!welcome to the board!! There are some great people here!

Posted by: goodeye ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 10:30AM

Welcome. You posted in the right place!

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 10:38AM

Absolutely, as long as you are respectful.

By the sounds of it, you have gone through the same thing as we have. A cult by another name is still a cult, right?

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 10:43AM

A cult is a cult is a cult. Glad your here.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 06, 2015 08:11PM

Welcome...!!!!!

We've had other non mormons through out the years.

it makes for a good mix. Enjoy.

Date: October 06, 2015 11:15PM

Thanks everyone. I was in a cultish group for about 15 years, so it has been tough, been through a lot. A lot of loss, a lot of guilt, a lot of pain.

I'll probably start some threads soon. This site has already helped me a bit, seeing how things can be so similar even if doctrine is different. I guess it helps me see how some things are probably more psychological than spiritual, if that makes sense.

Posted by: anderoy ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 01:09AM

Tell us about the loss, guilt and pain? Share the experience.

Posted by: anderoy ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 01:24AM

My transition has been very long. I grew up a true blue baptized and confirmed believer, served a faithful mission in the Deep South, married, had five children etc., etc. My story isn't unique, so I'll spare you the details. The house of cards began to crumble when I'd ask questions, the answers didn't satisfy. Blessings seemed rather haphazard rather than the "...receipt of any blessing being predicated by obedience to specific laws..."

For example, obeying the Word of Wisdom exactly and still being struck with amazing health challenges did not sit well with me.

Date: October 07, 2015 08:40PM

Hm, to be brief, we backed off from friends and family that weren't "believers", because we believed the church was our
"real" family. So guilt and bad feelings for ever being such an jerk, for one. Thankfully, most fences have been mended, except for a sister (also in said cultish group) who went bonkers, cut off all ties with friends and family and is now in what seems to be a cult of 2 people. :/ Definitely a huge loss there, I had thought we were very close, but obviously I was mistaken, she must have been hiding a lot of her feelings for some time.

Let's see, also the surprise and dismay when said "church family" wasn't there for me, except to judge me for not going to every church function my husband did, and for expecting some help from my husband with our newborn when I should have been doing every single thing for her to free him up for ministry.

In addition, the only really approved reading material was the Bible, there were mom's groups to become a better wife (how come there were never any groups for men to become better husbands?), and people who were hurting (not just myself, but some members in bad situations with their husbands) were picked apart spiritually.

So, those are some basics, too much to detail right now, but I did want to give some basics. Thanks for your interest. :)

Posted by: fbtj ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 01:29AM

To you I say welcome. You may not quite follow a lot of the stuff discussed here but the more general religious adjustment type topics and those types of awful religious experiences that apply to most beliefs you will find comfort in.

That said, there may be other general atheistic/deistic type forums that are more current and more fitting to your experiences available to you. But if it is the community that you enjoy here, I can personally attest to the awesome community of Exmormon.org

So Welcome.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 02:39AM

Welcome, welcome!

RFM has posters of all denominations, no denominations, married, single, divorced, gay, straight, people in transition between religions, genders, marital status. We have cynics, cut-ups, parents, children of dysfunctional families, abuse survivors, apologists, PhD's, and pet lovers of all ages, races, and locations.

Already, you fit at least 3 of these categories, right?

I have learned far more than just Mormonism, here! I have received love and support, here. We understand each other, and if we don't we might argue a bit, but it's no big deal. You can be yourself, here.

Posted by: Ivanova ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 12:51AM

No Mo here, lurker for bout 2 years. This site is in my top 5 favorite sites. I love this forum and check in almost daily. As a Never Mo, I don't really feel like I have as much to give/add as others do here. But, I do know that I have received lots in return. Learning, compassion, humor, etc.

Pull up a chair and stay awhile. We have a bunch of wonderful posters here. They will make you laugh and make you cry. Life is a journey and I'm glad yours has found you here. No matter how long you stay here, one thing is for sure, you will be forever changed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.