Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:46AM

I wanted to be able to prove that Bruce R. McConkie really said that polygamy would be reinstated at some future point, so I turned to the Google God who giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not. This little link from Fair showed up:

http://en.fairmormon.org/Question:_Why_did_Bruce_R._McConkie_say_that_polygamy_would_be_practiced_again_before_the_Second_Coming%3F

What the actual fuck?

Their answer is Bruce believed it would, others believed it would not.

Now read this little tidbit:

"The Church official website responded to the question, "Is polygamy gone forever from the Church?" by saying:

We only know what the Lord has revealed through His prophets, that plural marriage has been stopped in the Church. Anything else is speculative and unwarranted."

Okay, so I know Brucey never outlived all the other geezers thus winning the title of "profit", but aren't all of the big 15 considered prophets? Prophets, seers, and revelators? If we can't trust what they tell us about the doctrine who can we trust? Why would they let McDonkie produce a book called "Mormon Doctrine" (sounds pretty fucking official to me. Especially coming from a man of his position in the church) and allow it to be sold in church-owned bookstores for years if it has potential false doctrine in it? How could an apostle of the Lord even be so confused on such a thing? Shouldn't Mormon God have his boys at the top all straightened out on such matters?

Whatever. Fuck Fair.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verumosity ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:58AM

My husband and I were having a conversation similar to this subject. We came up with the idea of what would happen if polygamy became legal (with the way marriage is defined now, you can marry anyone, why not multiple people??). I Would love to see what would happen if it did become legal, would the church start polygamy again? What would people's reaction to it be? If we ever need an example of what the church would look like today if it didn't stop polygamy, all we have to do is take a good look at the FLDS church.

Date: October 08, 2015 11:04AM

haha I didn't even think about that. I'd love to see what the church would do if polygamy were legalized.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:59AM

So members aren't entitled to a straight answer about whether or not there will be polygamy in the next life?

That's pretty damn important. Eternal families are the main reward people think they are going to get for living faithful lives, and they won't even say what that eternal family will look like?

I never really thought about it, but the lack of information is really weird. How can they get that many people to do anything they are asked and not deliver basic information about the next life?

Date: October 08, 2015 11:06AM

Exactly! Maybe some people wouldn't want anything to do with polygamy in the eternities. Why would God keep us so much in the dark in these matters. Is this not the dispensation of the fullness of times complete with prophets and apostles receiving direct revelation from God?!?!

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:11AM

It is simply more proof that the church has been blowing smoke for 185 years.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:14AM

If polygamy is an eternal principal, then why are humans born at nearly 50/50 male/female?

Mother nature doesn't seem to think so.

Horny Joe's legacy continues to bit 'em in the butt.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 01:09PM

That's easy...100 women get into the celestial kingdom for every 1 man. Polygamy doesn't work that well here on earth, but it's sometimes practiced to prepare the "saints" for their celestial harems. Those that are left without a wife due to the demographics are then able to prepare now for their lonely existence as eunuchs in the lower kingdoms. Win-win!

Posted by: verumosity ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:34AM

Polygamy isn't taught, BUT it's not denied either. It's still in the D&C. ALTHOUGH it is IMPLIED because a man may remain sealed to more than one wife, but the wife can only be sealed to one man! If polygamy can be disproved as a principle/commandment of God, then so can the whole entire church! It would prove that Joseph Smith was a conman, it sure was convenient for him to recieve commandments from God that benefited him in the ways they did (monetary, control, sex).

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 01:00PM

FAIR's reason to exist isn't to be fair. Or honest. Or thorough.
It's reason to exist is to make excuses that appear plausible enough to members that they can dismiss criticisms and facts, and keep believing. To accomplish that, the writers of FAIR articles are frequently dishonest, do shoddy research, leave out any contradictory facts, and make up excuses that any reasonable person would consider nonsense.

You're a reasonable person :)

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 01:51PM

Mormon Doctrine wasn't the only place it is to be found, nor was McConkie the first or only one to have ever said it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.