Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:08PM

When I was a TBM and on the High Council, one of my fellow HC's and I were talking one evening, and he mentioned to me a Temple President (I think he was a TP) that he knew of in Oklahoma that had left the church. This HC said the reason was the "DNA issue," and that this now-exmo got a lot of people to leave the Morg as well.

At the time, of course, I just shook my head and couldn't believe that Satan had gotten to "one of the very elect" in deceiving him. Now, I have a much different perspective.

Anyway, is anyone familiar with this story? Is it true? If so, did he really get other people to leave as well?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:24PM

There is info on pres jerrell chesney over on postmormon.org from a post around march of 2008.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:38PM

The tale of three members of the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Temple Open House Committee
10/06/2007 - by Odell

Life can be so strange. Here is a story of three different people and what happened in the space of just five years.

In March 1999, the LDS First Presidency announced that a temple would be built in Oklahoma City. The stake president made the first public announcement in the ward I attended. He announced that he had some good news and some bad news. The bad news was that the ward was losing its softball field, the good news was that it was being replaced with a temple. Tears flowed from the congregation at this unexpected announcement. I could never have imagined how this event would change and shape my life.

In the subsequent months, the General Authority assigned to the area called on H. Jerrell Chesney to become chairman of the Open House Committee. Chesney had served as a stake president in the area and was a temple worker in the Dallas Texas Temple. He was a respected member of the community having served for many years as the Executive Secretary of the Oklahoma State Board of Regents, a position he resigned as a result of its decision to permit the showing of the “God Makers’ film on OSU campuses.

Chesney assembled committee members to serve in various functions. Later, I was asked to help on the committee with public relations issues. I may have been the youngest member. The committee met on a regular basis to discuss various open house issues. There I met many capable and good people. A committee member I had already known was Oklahoma City Mission President, James Engebretsen.

I had been a Ward Mission Leader when I first met Engebretsen. He was a youngish man who had made a lot of money in the Philadelphia area as an investment banker. We both shared a common goal. I had wanted to establish a branch in the small city of El Reno, Oklahoma. The town was within the ward boundaries, yet distant from the chapel. The missionaries could not find transportation for its investigators to attend church meetings. The town had a few strong families that could have served as the back bone of a branch’s leadership. I suspect that Engebretsen wanted a new unit created to show off to church general authorities. Despite our intense efforts, the stake president had opposed any new unit in El Reno.

We found ourselves together again on the temple committee. The open house was a great success. Shortly before dedication, my new friend, Jerrell Chesney was called to be the temple’s first president. I was called to be a temple worker. Every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, I left work early to serve in the temple until late at night. During this time, my friendship with the Chesneys grew. They were totally committed to their temple assignments and worked very hard at it for the next five years.

After a couple of years as temple worker, I was released when I was called into a new bishopric. I would serve in two more bishoprics in the next several years and help with difficulties caused by relocation of ward boundaries.

The Chesneys served “faithfully” in their duties. The Oklahoma City temple became a model of temple efficiency with greater temple attendance than other larger temples. After being released as temple president in 2005, Jerrell was asked to serve as a bishop once more in the hometown ward in Shawnee, Oklahoma.

Engebretsen was released as mission president in 2001 and returned to the Philadelphia area. During his tenure he had campaigned hard to gain the attention of general authorities. He possessed a very apparent desire to be called into one of the Quorums of Seventy. Prior to his departure, he told me that he was founding a new bank with others “back East.”

I continued to work at the law firm and to take care of my family and church responsibilities. That all changed when I began looking for answers to my church questions. Research eventually caused me to leave the church. I was fortunate to depart it with my family intact. Today, I work in my own firm and my life is different than it was during my LDS years. I am involved in my community and have friends and interests much more diverse than I could have ever imagined.

Jerrell Chesney and his wife left the LDS Church nearly two years ago. He is very private and reserved about his departure. Yet, it was his unswerving integrity, which had caused him to be so committed and faithful as a church member, to force him to abandon a faith he had given his all.

And James Engebretsen later was an assistant dean of corporate relations at the Marriot School at the Brigham Young University, chair of the Peery Institute of Financial Services and a co-founder of the More Good Foundation, an organization established to provide “tools, support, education, and content to help LDS-oriented Web sites” – in order to combat the increasing knowledge members are learning from the internet regarding their own history. He is still not a general authority.

Three lives, three tales.

Posted by: Odell ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:11PM

The account is accurate. The Chesneys' issue was NOT DNA. He has asked that I not retell their reasons for resignation, which I have honored.

Date: October 19, 2010 05:20PM

Not sure of any who left the LDS church because of the Chesneys, although I knew a lot who left before them. I first learned of the resignations by a member who had asked if I was responsible. Later that day the Chesneys confirmed it to me.

The Chesneys are very quiet and private people and have intention that I am aware of in hurting the LDS church or draining it of members.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:28PM

Fascinating story Odell. I appreciate the fact that Jerrel left the church because of doctrinal reasons. Also interesting about OSU showing the "Godmakers." Go OSU! At this point, Go OU too..wow..number 1. Makes me proud to have relatives in OK.

Date: October 19, 2010 05:49PM

Yes, that is what I intended. It was just a quick reply. I do recall visiting with him for about 7 hours in my house which I think he needed. You could sense the frustration of having it all bottled up inside with no one to listen.

I shared with him my skeptism of Joseph Smith and although that was not his reason for leaving, he acknowledged that the criticism was probably accurate.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:53PM

That is one of the worst things about leaving and the reason Eric started this place. To let people know they were not alone.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:44PM

Odell,

Did you leave around the same time as the Chesneys. Or did you guys met again as exmos?

Just curious I guess, I'm wondering if one person leaving influences another one to research. Thanks.

Posted by: shamdango ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 06:15PM

. . . and maybe Odell and I were in the same room at the same time for the temple dedication way back in 2000.

President Faust arrived fashionably late in a new and clean (do the lord's anointed travel any other way?) black Lincoln Town Car from the airport. The car was driven by another stake/temple leader, but what fascinated me was that Faust was in the back seat - all important and stuff.

Naturally, the locals treated him like a rock star. We didn't get too many big-time leaders in our neck of the woods, though we did grow Bednar from our tiny spot in Arkansas.

Hinckley had visited Oklahoma City just a few years before, but I don't remember any other biggies making the trek down south (granted I was gone from 98-00).

At the temple dedication, we were all poised to whip out our hankies and perform "the shout" -- but Faust rambled, and everybody hung to his every word. Myself included, as I was fresh off the mission barely a week.

Faust delivered a whimsical story about how a construction worker - a member responsible for roofing a temple in South America - was this rough character having a hard time figuring out how to roof a certain part of the temple. Then, an angel appeared to the construction worker and showed him how to do it.

The punchline was actually insulting. Says Faust, "He wasn't the type to receive angelic visions; he was the Boyscout leader type, the type that don't get them." Somehow, it was supposed to make temple-building an even more special thing.

I vowed then and there that I'd never accept a calling with the Scouts. Ever. I didn't want to be that 'type'.

Nope, I moved to Utah two weeks later with every intention of fulfilling Elder Maxwell's personal prophecy to me in the Mexico City Temple Celestial Room. But that's a completely different story for another time.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:34PM

shamdango Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> President Faust arrived fashionably late in a new
> and clean (do the lord's anointed travel any other
> way?) black Lincoln Town Car from the airport.
> ... Faust was in the back seat - all important and stuff.
> Faust delivered a whimsical story about how a
> construction worker - a member responsible for
> roofing a temple in South America - was this rough
> character having a hard time figuring out how to
> roof a certain part of the temple. Then, an angel
> appeared to the construction worker and showed him
> how to do it.
>
> The punchline was actually insulting. Says Faust,
> "He wasn't the type to receive angelic visions; he
> was the Boyscout leader type, the type that don't
> get them." ...

Weak! Lame!

For the price of riding in wunna 'em sedans + the rock star status, Faust couldn't come up with something more appropriate for the occasion. What? He was too busy fleecing the cult sheep to sit down and write a half-@$$3D tear inducing talk?

What's more, an angel appears to a non-Mo construction worker who was too dumb to go ask a supervisor for help. Shyeeeahhh, right.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 03:46PM

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 01:33PM

shamdango Wrote:

> The punchline was actually insulting. Says Faust,
> "He wasn't the type to receive angelic visions; he
> was the Boyscout leader type, the type that don't
> get them." Somehow, it was supposed to make
> temple-building an even more special thing.
>
> I vowed then and there that I'd never accept a
> calling with the Scouts. Ever. I didn't want to
> be that 'type'.
>
> Nope, I moved to Utah two weeks later with every
> intention of fulfilling Elder Maxwell's personal
> prophecy to me in the Mexico City Temple Celestial
> Room. But that's a completely different story for
> another time.

Wow.... wtf?? how insulting. Also, I wouldnt mind hearing your experience with Elder Maxwell... and also your exeperience moving to utah. lol ;)

Date: October 19, 2010 07:20PM

Which was just down the hallway from the celestial room.

Its kind of hard with the directions of the temple as it is not really sitting on a north to south axis.

Posted by: wakingup ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:51PM

I wonder how many other okies have left, Odell? John golfs with one of his old buddies, but its funny....the subject has yet to come up of our departure. We think he knows but he hasn't said anything.

Posted by: shamdango ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 03:00AM

Odell Wrote:
> Which was just down the hallway from the celestial
> room.
>
> Its kind of hard with the directions of the temple
> as it is not really sitting on a north to south
> axis.

Okay, so we weren't in the same room, but we were definitely in the same building at the same time. At least, I think. If memory serves, they only did the one dedication ceremony (as opposed to the marathon ceremonies for larger temples we often see).

Makes our relationship that much more special, Odell. :) Happy 10-years-ish Anniversary.

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:36AM

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 09:59AM

topping

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 12:24PM

RE: Jerrell Chesney (for whom I have the deepest respect):

Here's Chesney's eloquent prose written to a friend of his who posted a small portion of comments he made to her in a letter:

"I would never have made the decision that I made unless I was absolutely certain that it was the right decision to make. Since I had so fully embraced the church, it filled me with agony and despair and forced the most sickening grief to separate myself from it.

"The factors of truth, honesty, and integrity, were so compellingly influential, however, that, finally, I had to face up to what I had tried hard to avoid. I hasten to say that my belief in Christ and my commitment to Christ has not diminished in the least.

"My only problem is with the Mormon Church. Notwithstanding that, it has some commendable features that I appreciate, it is too full of deceit and hypocrisy with regard to its history and to its continuous representations to the world for me to associate it with the glorious and defining principle of truth. One doesn't wish or expect to find practices of hypocrisy and deceit so interwoven into a true Christian enterprise."

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 01:10PM

Interesting back story. I attended the open house and there met James Engebretsen who was mission president. He had a very open and generous personality. After my baptism, he invited me to his house for dinner with his family. They were very nice to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.