Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 06:44PM

... this past weekend and found out I am not finished with a site like this as I thought I was a week or so ago. I now think will never be able to shed myself of the cult entirely. It was too long an influence in my life and still haunts me in the deep dark recesses of my mind. Meeting this past weekend with fellow exmos was healing and I realized there is a need for those of us who have left to reach out and be a support to others now leaving. Only we who have been there truly understand what those now leaving the "church" are going through at this stage in their lives. That conference was healing to me in many, many ways.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 06:49PM

Agreed. I recently read some comments at the back of one of Sandra Tanner's newsletters. People leaving thank her constantly for helping them leave Mormonism. The need to be validated is HUGE when surrounded by TBM's.

It's a tough process for some people and others leave and never look back. There's no one way, but there is a way. I hope everyone finds it.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 09:59PM

+1

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 07:55PM

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 08:09PM

As a nevermo, one thing I appreciated about the conference was the way exmos from every stage of their departure were there to support one another. I feel deep admiration for this community's strength and generosity of spirit. It was in abundance at the conference.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 09:58PM

Does anyone know if the talk by Hans and his wife will be posted on YouTube or some other site?

Posted by: Rodolfo NLI ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 10:10PM

Michaelc thank you for posting. This is why we all keep trying our best to find any way to reach out. Courageous folks paid a heavy price before us, and the lifelines they lowered saved myself and my family and many others. For me, it's the least I can do. I'll pass your comment on to the rest of the exec board.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 10:42PM

This is good news and bad news.

Good news that you were able to go, and how much you bonded with those there, and others like them and us.

Bad news, is we may never be truly free of the shackles of having lived the cult for such a large chunk of our lives.

Posted by: YBU ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 11:52PM

I totally agree with you...no matter how long ago I decided I was no longer associated with the so called church when something triggers the dormant anger (whether it is via a family members devotion or a news article ) this is where I return to work through and express my outrage and impotent anger!! It is so wonderful to have a place to go where I am understood.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 22, 2015 03:40AM

That's great (that you went)!

It's good to receive your report, and your update.

I wasn't able to livestream but it would be nice to watch at some point, if possible.

You are right about support. I come across dozens of people every month looking for answers. That's one reason I am here. I've been there.

Best wishes in all.

M@t

Posted by: britintexas ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 05:37PM

I went also, great to meet up with so many of you whom I had only known by name. Had a wonderful time being among "friends" and learning new things. Great talks and lots of helpful info. Felt great to know there are many of "us" out there. Loved Utah and already miss the mountains.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.