Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Idadocompassion ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 11:33PM

Stake president told us to protest famous foowear because they had a gay couple in the ad. He brought the ad in and told us to call headquarters and tell them we won't be shopping with them anymore. Everyone agreed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 11:49PM

Fabulous, simply fabulous!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:12AM

If Costco and Wal Mart run similar ads, there'll be mutiny in the ranks.

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:20AM

The people in the ad were gay... And this Stake President is seriously unhappy about it. Unless they appeared in the ad wearing only the footwear mentioned above or it showed something along other provocative lines, however, it should be clear even to the sheeple in his congregation why this degree of reaction is absurd. Well, then again, people can go a long way with being sheeple and I've learned not to underestimate the level of sheeplehood of those we most often discuss here...

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:25PM

I think the percentage of Mormons that are that crazy is very small. I did know a family when I was a kid that wouldn't let their kids see The Lion King because Elton John did the music. Their oldest son is gay and helped get all of the others out of the church. The parents are still crazy-TBM.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:27AM

How dare gay people wear shoes AND contribute to the economy! (I would seriously have said that in a shocked and appalled tone.)

What will he do when one of his own children comes out of the closet, wearing shoes? (Or another family member.)

Ask him which article of faith endorses persecution and homophobia.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:45AM

Idadocompassion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everyone agreed.

Correction: No one disagreed openly.

In Mormonism you have to keep all your real thoughts to yourself
and always appear to totally support the leaders. They tell you
that you "covenanted" to that when you raised your right hand
and "sustained" them.

And remember, you can't criticize them even if the criticism is true.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:54AM

He probably only wants mormon sexual predators to make that good modeling money!

Posted by: Captain Obvious ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:06AM

I'm sure that the Famous Footwear execs are wringing their hands over the impending hit to the lucrative Rexburg market. How can the company survive if denied those Idaho cow town profits?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:06AM

He forgot about Target!!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:15AM

That just reminds me that I need to shop at Famous Footwear more. And Ikea. Among other places.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:36AM

Huh. I didn't realize that Mormons were against gay people being in ads.

I guess they haven't figured out yet that sticking their heads in the sand doesn't change anything. The only thing that ever happens is that the world just keeps passing them by.

Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:42AM

He probably feels his wrath will go viral, and he and the church will short the stock and make millions

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 02:17AM

Idiots

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 02:48AM

What does stake president do for a living?
Boycotts can work both ways.

Posted by: snowednomore ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 03:09AM

Which Rexburg Stake are you in?

Posted by: Idadocompassion ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 11:19AM

Rexburg 4th YSA Stake

Posted by: snowednomore ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 11:42AM

Todd Hammond is the stake president then. Son of Melvin Hammond, emeritus Seventy. I am with gettinreal, Todd may be in the closet. As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised if both counselors were in the closet also.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 09:25AM

I've seen Marriott run ads appealing to gay couples in the Washington, DC metro system. I would guess they have done similar things in other LGBT friendly markets. Yes, this was likely post prop 8 damage control--nevertheless similar to what is described here in the Famous Footwear Ad.

Is Mr. Holy Pants Stake President ready to take on Bill and Richard Marriott, who have got to be some of the Morg's biggest donors?

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:16AM

I wonder what cereal the mothers there are allowed to bring to church for their toddlers since Cheerios had that add with a biracial family...

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:59PM

Yes...during the greater Civil Rights Era, advertisements in glossy magazines (for the upscale market) gradually began including black people...

...starting with a wholesome looking/beautiful single black woman...then a wholesome looking black family...then proceeding (over several years) through wholesome-looking black male/female couples...then (very late in the process) sole black males...

...and THEN (maybe a decade or more after "black inclusion" began, and VERY tentatively) couples where one person was black and the other one was white.

Gay inclusiveness in mass market ads is likely to go through a similar arc, but it will happen more rapidly than did racial inclusiveness because, as a society, we ARE "growing up," even if a bunch of our compatriots are kicking and screaming all the way!!!

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:24AM

I'm gonna guess that this SP is in the closet and full of self loathing.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:42AM

Are they going to start having "nude" sacrament meetings? JW's are planning on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SZHnlTnKME

Boycott almost every single good and wholesome Broadway play? Tony awards https://youtu.be/3BHyfYiBt5o

Silly Mo's boycotting college athletics, Olympics, all of the athletes http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/gay-athletes/

This is as stupid as those silly people who wanted to boycott Target and Covergirl for having Ellen as their spokesperson.

Almost every corporation is LGBT friendly and putting out ads that represent their customers. http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/rights/5-leading-lgbt-friendly-companies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2015 10:45AM by dydimus.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:52AM

It would be great if this story somehow made it to the news media. I'm sure the SP would do some serious back-peddling in a hurry.

Always fun when someone shines the light on this kind of idiocy. This isn't the kind of publicity TSCC wants.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:58AM

I'm protesting the mormon church, because they don't have gay couples in any of their ads.
So from now on, I'm going to refuse to go to any of their functions, or support any of their programs.

Oh, wait, I stopped doing that 35 years ago -- because they're dishonest, anachronistic, arrogant, superstitious idiots.

Never mind then :)

Date: October 29, 2015 11:24AM

Because recently (even with all of the homophobic talks and all) the Corporation has shown support for GLBT rights protection laws in SLC and even established a website to try to retain gays and their families/friends. http://www.mormonsandgays.org/

So they used actual members with same-sex attraction in their ads, therefore by the SP's logic the church should also be boycotted and phone calls and angry letters written to Corp HQ's and Editorials written.

What a CLOWN car circus the corporation has become!

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:20PM

FarmersOnly.com and EHarmony still don't have any gays in theirs ads. Just cute and hot women! Especially FarmersOnly!

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 11:30AM

When I was a Freshman at the Lard's University, even YBU, they boycotted Boy George. Famous Footwear will be devastated to hear that Stake is complaining. Seriously though, SP's take on issues like this to keep the sheepie focused causes and avoiding how miserable it is to be a Mormon.

Date: October 29, 2015 11:37AM

Well, they can either crumble (as they did with the BSA [which was just or more ridiculous]) or they can create their own shoe company (as they did in 1868 when they were boycotting "gentile" merchants and created ZCMI).

I just want to see what the new for profit company "Infamous Mormon Footwear" is going to sell and look like.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:45PM

Famous Footware is probably going to have to offer a stock buy back after their share holders find out 38 people won't be buying shoes.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:06PM

I like to support companies that are into treating people fairly.

S'why I'll never be a Catholic again. Never be a Morgie either. I still think I might start my own religion one of these days.

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:33PM

I told my TBM Spouse the Church would one day accept LGBT as a part of the church culture.

She was angry with me and said it would NEVER HAPPEN!!

I reminded her that the church was blindly racist and BY would kill any white man who shared his seed with a black woman.

I reminded her that GBH had a new revelation to bring the Black as Flint into the fold.

Afterall, when TSCC gets a new Prophet, the Mormon God quietly forgets what he told the last one.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:44PM

Did not see the ad, but does this rocket scientist realize that the people in 95% of ads are paid models? They do whatever they were asked to do. Unless he knows the orientation of every model in every ad, he can never go shopping again.

Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 02:06PM

Its at moments like these where I denounce Mormonism as a true Christian ideology. The ideas of homophobia in Christianity stem from the Old Testament, which Christ himself did away with during his mortal ministry. Hell, according to true Christian teaching, the Old Testament doesn't even matter any more. It's a history book, not a Philosophical book.

Utah is a very Conservative state. I think if Mormonism wasn't around, Gay marriage would have been legalized here decades ago. True Conservatives would live and let live. I consider myself a Conservative Libertarian. I think that anything that abides should be legal. Gay Marriage is just the same, unlike many mormons, who will quickly disobey the laws if their profit says so.

To Mormons, politics and religion are the same thing.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 02:11PM

A higher proportion of male models, dancers, actors and other artistic types bat for the other team.

Makeup, costumes, singing, dancing, posing, are not on the top 10 favorite things to do of the bulk of hetero men.

So I'd say that most commercial and ad's have a pretty good chance of being done by people who are an abomination according to TSCC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.