Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 05:51PM

The subject of the recent church policy statements on the children of gay parents came up on a list that has nothing to do with Mormonism but includes some TBM commenters. This twisted bit was in response to something I wrote mentioning the mass resignations, and is so weasely it almost squeaks. Sad thing is this otherwise intelligent person really believes this. At least one of her kids is an exmo and recently married outside the "faith". I am sure she knows what a disgrace it would be for a TBM family NOT to have their kids baptized at age 8, yet she writes as if that were not important.

TBM Mom wrote:
"Children are not asked to renounce their gay parents. Ever. Secondly, children are not punished for the sins of the parents. Ever. That line of thinking is more in line with some other faiths, which baptize infants in order to wash away original sin. In Mormon doctrine, there is no original sin. There is no one ideal time for baptism to occur in a person's life. Nothing is lost to the child if they wait until they are an adult. We don’t want a developing child to have to deal with issues that might arise where their parents feel one way and the expectations of the Church they joined are very different. Let them navigate that as a adult, if they choose to.

The policy is not really new, just a clarification. The LDS church does not baptize minor children of polygamous relationships either. Hasn't for over 100 years, and no one is protesting that.

As far as the quantity of members tendering resignations from the church, the number is about 1500 according to CNN, so I think it is an exaggeration to say "mass resignations of thousands." It would be more accurate to say "over one thousand" or "less than two thousand." I am data analyst by profession, and that is how I would report it. Btw, 1500 people out of a worldwide membership of over 9 million, gives us a rate of less than 0.02% of church membership resigning."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 06:26PM

That 1500 number is the number at the resignation in SLC. This MORON is not adding in the number of people resigning in other state, cities, counties, etc.

Then they say "Children are not asked to renounce their gay parents. Ever. Secondly, children are not punished for the sins of the parents. Ever." they are just assuming that everyone will go with them thinking that 18 year olds are not children. That is where the word EVER comes from. ASSHOLE.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 06:32PM

In the case of one of the "Sister Wives" children, Madison Brown, she was over 18 and was not allowed to be baptized unless she disassociated herself from her polygamous family. That doesn't sound like she wasn't asked to renounce her family...ever.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 06:39PM

Just from the number of protests in the mass media, and people resigning all over the Internet, the numbers easily exceeds 2,000.

What we won't hear is the accurate number as reported by church headquarters. It will keep that secret under wraps like all other top secrets go, into the LDS vault.

The church is like a barge that struck an iceberg in the deep blue sea. It doesn't know the extent of the damage as it now stands. It may take months or years for the realization of its most recent decision, come to fruition in numbers of those leaving.

These are only the first of many resignations, that I predict will surely follow as more become educated.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 06:42PM

How many Catholics resigned from their church in the last month ... or from the Methodist church ... or from the Jehovah's Witnesses ... or Islam, Judaism, or any other religion?

Here's a Google search for the terms "church" and "resign"--

https://www.google.com/search?q=church+resign&oq=church+resign&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0l5.1839j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=church+resign&safe=active&tbm=nws&start=0

The only stories involving resignations and non-Mormon churches that I saw involve non-Mormon LEADERS resigning from their positions, not their membership.

This story is HUGE, because, as far as I can tell, membership resignation doesn't happen much at all in other religions--and is almost never a big news story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 05:06PM by lurking in.

Posted by: intel geek ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 06:44PM

Secondly, children are not punished for the sins of the parents.
Actually in the TBM thinking - denying baptism at age 8 is a form of punishment for the person - They will NOT receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and for males they will not be able to receive the Aaronic Priesthood and therefore not able to progress from Deacon to elder and none will be able to have any callings etc. This person is Wrong!!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 07:08PM

True. Also, they are wrong to assume that LDSInc. does not baptize children of plygs, because they do it all the time, they just pretend the parents are not plygs.

But children of SSM's, and their parents. are not able to so easily fly "under the radar" of priesthood recognition, or in the case of the plygs, priesthood complicity. Plyg kids are considered by many priesthood leaders to be good Mormons, while kids from SSM are considered to be tainted by evil.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 06:54PM

"Nothing is lost to the child if they wait until they are an adult."

For boys -- missing out on 3 offices of the Aaronic "Priesthood" are.

But let's extend that: nothing is lost to the child if they wait until...never.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 07:10PM

“And the skins of the Lamanites were DARK, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which WAS A CURSE upon them because of their transgression...” BOM Alma verse 6

OOPS! We just stabbed the 2nd article of faith in the eye. By what vehicle? The cornerstone of Mormonism.

“And it came to pass that whosoever did mingle his seed with that of the Lamanites did bring the same curse upon his seed.” BOM Alma verse 9.

OOPS! We just stabbed the 2nd article of faith in the face again. By what vehicle? The cornerstone of Mormonism.

So you see folks, the church is true! We can by the words from gods Seerphonerock to Oliver’s pencil, verify with established doctrine that the children of the gays can be persecuted for the Gays having dedicated, loving, caring, family relationships.

Never mind that pesky 2nd article of faith. It’s just an article of faith after all. The fullness of the gospel is in the BOM.

The church is true.

Posted by: Anon4now ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 02:36AM

Her whole, "oh, we love them," sickening sense of self-rectitude is just slimy. If you think gay people are an abomination, own it. If you're going to be a bigot, Go big or go home.

I want to say to her, "You contend it's not a punishment and nothing is lost?

Okay, then, you're obviously ok with your kids not being baptized until they're 18. Right?

Put up or shut up. Nuh-uh-uh. No double standards. A change in policy for kid's baptisms should mean it's 18 for everyone's kids."

I only wish this was the policy. It would take tscc down 50% in two generations, if not more.

Date: November 25, 2015 07:36AM

I am sure every one of her kids were baptized at age 8 right on schedule. In my response to her I compared this to First Communion for Catholic kids at age 7-8. Yes, it CAN be done at any time, but there is plenty of disaproval and flack from believer relatives if not done in second grade with all the other kids. Not baptizing at 8 is a punishment just like Blacks not holding the priesthood was a punishment, and I do remember back in the day apologist saying, oh, but they can still join the church! Not good enough, and done out of bigotry. Love has nothing to do with these policies.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 09:55AM

"Worldwide membership of over 9 million"? What happened to the 15 million figure the PR folks have been bandying about?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 10:39AM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 10:39AM

She's just wrong. She refuses to admit what it says. You have to declare that gay marriage is a fraud, which means your parents' marriage is fraudulent. If that isn't renouncing your parents, what is?

It does punish children. If your father was Bernie Maddoff, you could get baptized at 8. If your mother were Lizzie Borden, you could get baptized. If your parents are Ellen and Portia, you cannot be be baptized until 18. Even then, you cannot live with them and you have to declare your opposition to their marriage.

Your mom doesn't want to call a cocker spaniel a dog.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:32PM

"children are not punished for the sins of the parents. Ever."

Hmmm... I recall the seed of Cain being punished for Father Cain's sin. That seems to include "ever".

Posted by: wondercat ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:36PM

Oh, no, dear friends. The 2nd article of faith is true, of course!

Men won't be punished for ADAM'S transgressions! It doesn't say that we won't be punished for our PARENTS' transgressions. Or our ANCESTORS' transgressions!

(snort)

wondercat

Date: November 25, 2015 05:00PM

Oh and what about all that "cursed down to the tenth generation" stuff in the bible?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:20PM

Only a Mormon would think that it makes sense to force some children to be baptized while prohibiting others.

Baptism is mandatory for eight-year-olds the way I remember it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.