Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 01:34PM

Who's seen some funny blogs recently? I think the Latin America ones are the funniest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 11:02PM

I've just seen a few that have been posted on this site, but they're always entertaining. Of course, I can't judge them too hard, I used to be that ignorant missionary in a foreign country convinced it was my duty to save the multitudes from Satan's grasp.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 08:55AM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 10:16AM

Wow. There really are some doozies. I could read it all day and my jaw would stay dropped. There are no words for some of them. How can parents read some of that stuff and just ignore the obvious.

What gets me most is when they call people who won't speak to them or lie about being busy, "rude." Gawd, Mormons have no boundaries. Or they think it's funny that they ring a doorbell again after someone has told them they're not interested or when they know someone is home but not answering. They don't get that they are NOT doing something good. They are harassing people.

So sad that they can be so brainwashed that they can't see what a waste of their time and money it is.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 10:34AM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They don't get that they are NOT doing
> something good. They are harassing people.

I'm pretty sure Jesus said to go unto the world and annoy the crap out of people in His name.

Posted by: zero ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 10:27AM

I had no idea missionary blogs existed until last month when that blog from that one psycho elder who liked to take pictures of the small dead animals with his missionary name tag was highlighted on RfM. After that I googled missionary blogs and skimmed through 4 or 5 of them to relive my missionary days.

All I can say is that even with just reading a few of them it was it very, very, interesting!

My first impression was being amazed at how many sister missionaries there are out in the field now. It looks almost like 50%. I went on a US mission in the early 90’s and there were nowhere near that many sister missionaries.

My next impression was that the missionaries sure seem to be struggling to find people to teach. A recurring theme on alot of the blogs was how the missionaries didn’t have any investigators (these were US missionaries). I was a pretty lackluster missionary on my mission. I didn’t get into any trouble but I wasn’t ever in any leadership positions. But me and my companion always had several serious investigators and a bunch of non-serious ones in every I area I served. In contrast, the elder who liked to take pictures of dead animals repeatedly complained about not having ANY investigators. I remember in one of his posts he describes an investigator who smoked, drank, would not read the BOM or come to church as their BEST investigator. It was pretty funny! And if I remember right this missionary had been out about a year and already was a DL, trainer and was recently promoted to ZL! Based on his blog, I had more baptisms on my US mission at that point than he has had! DARN INTERNET!

There were couple of instances related on the few blogs I read where the missionary would say they found a golden contact and gave them a BOM, but when they went back for a second appointment the investigator would give back the BOM and not talk to the missionaries anymore because they had googled the church on the internet.

So the question I have is whether missionary blogs are officially encouraged by the church/mission? Or are the blogs just something individual missionaries do? It seems like a good way to do missionary work. One blog I saw had a counter on it and it had over 20,000 hits.

Posted by: Rob Hastings ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 11:12AM

My niece is in Idaho. According to my sister, she is allowed to write emails on Prep days only on a member of the ward's computer or at the public library. Senior Companions are issued cell phones but not Junior. I did not probe for more details. I can only assume that internet use is probably discouraged.
Then again she probably has her bands full converting the quaint folk in the land of Idaho. I can only assume that it has degenerated to a bunch of topless women with sagging breasts chanting while men with spears dance around the campfire - much different from when I last passed through there.

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 12:11PM

Thanks for that salamandersociety link, those are great

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 01:19PM

Sometimes I am also curious about missionary blogs and check some of them. I got the impression that the missionaries don't blog themselves, the blogs are kept by their families and updated with the e-mails and pictures that missionaries send home every Monday (or whatever day is P-day).

What I find disturbing in these blogs, among other things, is the quantity of supposedly "funny" pictures, that is, mostly plain stupid, that are posted.

I am sure missionaries have always been clowning around, but before the digital age, when pictures were taken with the good old film and you had to print them out in order to see them, I think not many pictures were wasted to immortalize all their fool acts.

Their contacts should read these blogs and then draw their conclusions about the church and ist "elders."

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 08:09PM

I'm guessing they're only allowed to do things like post on Facebook during P-day, just as that's the only time they're allowed to send e-mails to parents and other family members. If they're not allowed to actually post on a blog, they probably have a family member who does that for them, with the e-mail they send on that day that includes pictures.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 08:51PM

Based on my observation, most of the missionary blogs seem to be under the control of their mother, but I've seen a few where a sister was the one posting. I've seen things posted which I would think the missionary had meant to to private to just their parents - such as mentioning being depressed or having recently suffered a bout of diarrhea or not having feminine products at hand.

The fact that insensitive and even rude comments about 'investigators,' descriptions about silly activities and childish photos are posted by so many of their mothers without even blinking points to an emotionally stunted system. Their mothers don't get how stupid and/or offensive some of the comments and photos are to people in "the real world" because it is all very normal in their narrow little world.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2015 09:32PM by Plaid n Paisley.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 02:17AM

Yeah, this is ex-Bishop Jackwagon and his wife, who have had several children on missions. But they don't have a blog - they put highlights that are truly cringe-making in the monthly ward newsletter. The kids sound so arrogant and self-righteous and just plain insensitive. If my kids ever wrote those sort of things home, I'd write back with a big old lecture about how to treat people and then I'd be embarrassed to show that part of their letter to anyone.

This is what disturbs me most about the blogs - how bad the mothers make their missionaries look by posting ridiculous, insensitive, too personal stuff on public blogs without any common sense or moral filters. Of course, a lot of Mormons wouldn't see the problem but the nicer Mormons and the rest of humanity just want to face palm. And it''s not the teenagers but the parents who don't think to protect their teenagers by cleaning up their letters before broadcasting them everywhere.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 10:11AM

This bothers me as well. It proves that there are no social boundaries in the morg.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 11:03AM

I remember one missionary blog from my area. The sister missionaries had backed up their car and ran over a pet's tail with a little "Ha ha!" added to let us know that they found it very funny. They should try having someone run over their little finger or toe and see how funny they find that.

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:54AM

This isn't a missionary blog but it's an RM's blog. I guess he converted someone and married her, and is continuing to push Mormonism abroad. http://metsikmatthew.blogspot.ca/

I feel sorry for his convert wife. It's one thing to find a doting spouse, quite another to get trapped into a cult that demands all your free time and money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.