Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elizabeth S. ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 02:24AM

Today, an in-law & employee saw a shared post by my son ; my son's father had painted a portrait of a red haired, fair skinned Jesus, and this photo is being shared through social media.
My In-law -employee was ticked off about the red haired Jesus, saying that if Jesus was real & a Jew like the Bible says, then he would probably look Jewish - being olive skinned, dark eyed with dark hair.

I totally agreed her and we went off on a coffee break rant over this because it "set me off" again...

My ex-husband descends from a long line of mormons, from English - Quaker polygamists people etc. His ancestors were also slave owners in Virginian, BEFORE they converted to mormonism.

While married to EX, I listened to years of his family, make disparaging comments about non- English or non-white people.

My ex’s old aunt Mary once saw a photo of my Romanian Ukrainian father, who was a first generation Canadian from the old country, and Mary stated, quite unapologetically: “Well there’s a “*Nig*er" in everyone’s back wood pile”. That was the tip of the iceberg for bigotry of that family…; they are all touched with racism in one degree or another. I had a hard time reconciling loud proclamations of being Christians with the hatred and disdain of other people.
Total hypocrisy.
Further to that, any religious discussions about ancestry from the middle east went straight to Jesus being “white and delightsome”. 2 Nephi 30:6 (barf)

Over 2,000 years ago, the baby Jesus, was born Jewish, near Jerusalem. He was the genetic product from a long line of Jewish ancestors. His genealogy shows both his mother Mary’s line and his father, Joseph’s line.

So wouldn't it be common sense (and science) that he would NOT look like the depiction of the mormon Jesus, as “European"?

OR were the early mormons and catholics saying that the genetic father of Jesus (God) was blond with blue eyes? (Both traits are recessive genes, so I suppose God would skip the cue, break the laws of nature to make sure his child was totally European looking. And wouldn’t Jesus stand out like a sore thumb in a tribe of swarthy Jewish relatives and neighbours?.) I never read about this in the scriptures.

Logically, Jesus would most likely have a swarthy or olive complexion, dark eyes with black/ dark hair. And looking like he was from the Holy Land.

Why is it that mormons, and westerners, and Europeans have had to continually depict Jesus as an Aryan Jesus, with blue eyes, blond hair, or red hair ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 06:05AM

Italian artists have depicted Jesus as distinctly Italian, native to their culture and ethnicity.

African countries may depict Jesus as a black man, in fact there are those who believe the earliest Jews originated from Africa.

Nordic countries ascribe Nordic qualities to artwork depicting Jesus.

Mormons have added their own distinctive spin, making him look more European anglo-Saxon, and even American lol.

It all depends on who is doing the drawing. Of course Jesus didn't look like all these people. He may have been darker complected, but not all Middle Eastern Jews were dark skinned.

"The New Testament includes no descriptions of Jesus' everyday appearance before his death and the Gospel narratives are generally indifferent to people's racial appearance or features.[11][1][13]

The Synoptic Gospels include the account of the Transfiguration of Jesus, during which he was glorified with "his face shining as the sun."[14][15]

The Book of Revelation includes John's vision of the Son of Man, which describes "...and his feet were like unto burnt brass, His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow;" [other translations: "burnished bronze"], as if they burned in a furnace..." in a vision (1:13-16), but this vision is usually considered to refer to Jesus in heavenly form, not necessarily his appearance during his earthly life.[16][17]

Old Testament references about a coming Messiah (whom Christians believe to be Jesus) have been projected forward to form conjectures about the appearance of Jesus on theological, rather than historical, grounds; e.g. Isaiah 53:2 which refers to the scourged Messiah with "no beauty that we should desire him" and Psalm 45:2-3 which describes him as "fairer than the children of men", often interpreted as his physical description.[18][19][20][21] Clarks' commentary accepts Lamentations 4:7 "Her Nazarites were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk, they were more swarthy in body than rubies, their polishing was of sapphire: Their visage is blacker than coal;" as referring to skin color.[22] 1 Samuel 16:12 describes David, the ancestor of Jesus, as having "beautiful eyes" or "fair countenance."[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_appearance_of_Jesus

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 07:28AM

"Why is it that mormons, and westerners, and Europeans have had to continually depict Jesus as an Aryan Jesus, with blue eyes, blond hair, or red hair?"

"The Color of Christ opens with a chilling story. In 1963, white supremacists infamously bombed the historically black Sixteenth Street Baptist church in Birmingham, Alabama, killing four African-American girls. Along with the human destruction, the bomb shattered a stained glass window that featured a white-skinned Jesus. Outraged citizens responded, including Welsh schoolchildren who collected money for new windows. But a question hung in the air: what color should Jesus be?"
http://jsr.fsu.edu/issues/vol14/graber.html

'Color Of Christ': A Story Of Race And Religion In America
http://www.wbur.org/npr/165473220/color-of-christ-a-story-of-race-and-religion-in-america

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 09:42AM

That's the good thing about imaginary friends: they can look anyway you want them to look!

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 11:10AM

Reconstruction of semitic skulls from the time and area suggest he would have looked like this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a234/1282186/

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 05:33PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 11:18AM

Present tense, what DOES "Jesus" look like?

If there ever was a "Jesus," he doesn't look like anything now. He died nearly 2,000 years ago. At best, bones. At worst, dust.

What DID "Jesus" look like? Nobody knows. The popular mechanics link above may be plausible for a typical person of that area of that time, but that's no more what a specific person looked like than a generic portrait of an "American" today is what I look like.

Posted by: sisterhood ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 02:35PM

I think the book of Isaiah says there was nothing special about Jesus' appearance. And Judas 'betrayed him with a kiss' (no need if he stood out in a crowd). So yep, I think he was an ordinary looking Jewish male.

Date: December 18, 2015 02:42PM

sisterhood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the book of Isaiah says there was nothing
> special about Jesus' appearance.

How could a book written by 3 (at least) authors 300-500 years before a supposed "Jesus" was born know what he looked like?

Hint: it can't. It didn't. :)

Posted by: wondercat ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 04:36PM

https://youtu.be/2Eypg03zlBg

This is a beautiful recording of the Alfred Burt carol, "Some Children See Him." It's really worth your time if you're a Christian (or not). The best part is the choice of images used. 5☆'s.

Some Children See Him
by Wihla Hutson & Alfred S. Burt ~ 1951.

Some children see Him lily white,
the baby Jesus born this night.
Some children see Him lily white,
with tresses soft and fair.
Some children see Him bronzed and brown,
The Lord of heav'n to earth come down.
Some children see Him bronzed and brown,
with dark and heavy hair.

Some children see Him almond-eyed,
this Savior whom we kneel beside.
some children see Him almond-eyed,
with skin of yellow hue.
Some children see Him dark as they,
sweet Mary's Son to whom we pray.
Some children see him dark as they,
and, ah! they love Him, too! 

The children in each different place
will see the baby Jesus' face
like theirs, but bright with heavenly grace,
and filled with holy light.

O lay aside each earthly thing
and with thy heart as offering,
come worship now the infant King.
'Tis love that's born tonight!
÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=÷=

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 04:42PM

he looked like a white and delightsome nephite.

and my jehovah whitless aunt assured me he was clean shaven and had short hair and his cross was really a large stake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 04:43PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: not any more ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 05:03PM

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 05:27PM

THIS IS THE STANDARD!!!!!

http://www.warnersallman.com/wp-content/themes/WarnerSallman/images/Head-of-Christ.jpg

Got that, all you who like to paint artwork to be sold at Dez locations and hung in members' living rooms.

Shall I post the link again???

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQziPxfg3dhKHAulZOkLaBZmyn57w5uski9Qh0yDrEwwlN1MN_gFBZJEpZbGtGA8bvpNIS7FSE&usqp=CAE

Got it?

No unibrows or rugged, lumberjack-like complexions. If it doesn't resemble this portrait, it is the FALSE JESUS many "anti-Mormon" preachers warn us about.

So take a good gander at Him. This is the real McCoy, the most accurate visage of Him.

http://g.christianbook.com/g/ebooks/covers/w185/5/576101_w185.png

NOTHING ELSE!

Thank you.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 06:01PM

Both Christianity and Mormonism have commonly depicted a Jesus far more Anglo than the historical Jesus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_appearance_of_Jesus

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 11:13PM

no such thing as historical jesus.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:08AM

The fact is, he can look like anyone they want him to, since he's most likely mythical.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 05:05AM

Jesus looks like a Viking/Anglo Saxon God of Wa. He is about 6 foot 7 inches tall, ripibg muscles, blonde hair, blue eyes. Jesus looks very much like me.

If you want to believe in a myth God. Believe in a sexy looking one. I really am that sexy - just shortly and oh well it is a good myth.

Posted by: Son of man ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 06:46PM

Hello why don't you have a personal relationship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ? The Son of God. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 05:18AM

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:50AM

Re. TOAST - Can you tell if Jesus is WHITE or is he WHOLE WHEAT?

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:03AM

I have it on good authority (a General Authority no less) that Jesus has fair hair and skin, blue eyes and is clean shaven. Why would you disagree with a GA who has seen Jesus?

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:29AM

And he wears a business suit and has a corner office at the COB.

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:38AM

I have been told that since having Personal Priesthood interviews with Boyd K Packer, Jesus has changed his ways.

He now only wears white shirts with a conservative tie. Clean shaven, hair cut above the collar line.

And the sandals have been replaced with conservative walking shoes from ZCMI.

Because of these changes, he has become far more noticeably white and delightsome.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:49AM

http://www.cheekymormon.com/myuploads/xjesus1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HaD7apuChb.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 11:51AM by seekyr.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:47AM

In my favorite image of Jesus he is very golden and then I smear butter and raspberry jam on top.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 03:26PM

It doesn't matter what He looks like; it is His message that is important.

Date: December 19, 2015 04:48PM

michaelc1945 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It doesn't matter what He looks like; it is His
> message that is important.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

"Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire."

"Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:
Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee."

Yeah, right. Some message.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 04:57PM

The Christians on TV said that angels have no faces.

Jack Chick indicates that God has no face.

Therefore, Jesus has no face.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 05:45PM

I had a vision and he looks like Afred E Newman.

Posted by: tbrown9163 ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 05:52PM

I am an exmo and have been on this site from time to time since 1997.

Having lived in Israel, I learned that the modern name 'Gelman' means 'one with red hair' and is not an uncommon name there.

People with red hair are not common there but it is present.

My message is just to be careful of making stereotypical judgements based on a small sliver of knowledge that we have.

This is one reason why I got out of the morg. Also what I learned living in Israel was another reason...confirmed it.

'Believe those who say they are searching for truth, doubt those who have said they've found it'

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 05:59PM

True, Greeks and Romans were also Mediterranean,but Augustus was blond. Flavius means blond and Ahenobarbus means red beard. Those were Roman names. The Iliad and Odyssey describe Helen and Menelaus as blond and Odysseus as red haired. It may not have been common, but it was not unheard of.Personally, I think making a composite drawing of three random individuals from the time and assuming that is what Jesus looked like is kind of silly.Besides,unless they could extract DNA, those people possibly could have had light skin and hair.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 06:31PM

But remember, folks- Jesus' father was God. And we all know that God is a white man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.