Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 03:36PM

Many?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 03:49PM

Interesting that the article doesn't mention the criticism from within the Catholic church itself that Mother Teresa couldn't be a saint because she didn't dress modestly enough (this came from a person who Pope Benedict was trying to get back into the Catholic priesthood). And, to be blunt, most of the criticisms I read in this article, especially the one about her proselytizing (from a Hindu, no less), seem to ring hollow with me. And the whole truth is that the Roman church hasn't shied away from naming as saints people whose lives and views do not necessarily coincide with what I would consider to be saintly qualities (think Father Junipero Serra, the Spanish priest who founded the California mission in Monterey in the mid-1700s). In the light of day, I think that Mother Teresa's work will stand up better than much of what Father Serra did.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 10:15PM

FYI...the local indigenous people of So. Calif are not fans of Father Serra..

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 11:28PM

Which shows that the whole thing is completely stupid.

Posted by: so what ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 03:56PM

Well, duh. That's what makes them critics.

Posted by: wondercat ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 04:12PM

When I visited her saddest facility, the "home for the dying" (?) in Calcutta in 1980, she talked to our little group before we went in. I could tell that she often did this with tourists and turned them into volunteers.

I was warned that it would be difficult going inside. That was an understatement. First, there's the smell that knocks you flat. Then a room, about the size of 2 large cultural halls, cots up and down, people lying down, moaning. Each of us visitors was asked to volunteer for half an hour or so. Me? I was placed by the bedside of a very elderly woman who felt so cold that I rubbed her arms and legs. She had one small, dirty blanket and half a blackened banana to eat. I fed and rubbed, fed and rubbed. And felt entirely useless, as we all said we did afterwards. So much more might have been done.

My *personal* sense, and I could be wayyy off, was that it was deliberately made uglier and sadder in hopes of getting more donations.

Please don't hate me.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 04:37PM

Why should we.
The woman was a doubter...you have to read her letters to see it plainly.
Thanks to hitchen's efforts she was plainly exposed.

Posted by: Davina ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 10:40PM

If "doubting" is a sin or a fault, gdam...we're ALL fuked!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 04:40PM

is this the same mutha teresa who withheld pain killers fron dying people while she received the best scientific medical treatment available ?

Good riddance to her !

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 04:49PM

Suffering = salvation to some like her.

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 06:11PM

None of them are saints.

Edit: And to make a pun: Nun of them are saints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 06:12PM by Anon Dunn.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 08:31PM

Most people don't understand or know about the canonization process that the Catholic church uses. Never mind what it actually means.

Because of that simple fact, they don't understand what makes a person a saint as per Catholicism.

Just saying.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 08:48PM

angela Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most people don't understand or know about the
> canonization process that the Catholic church
> uses. Never mind what it actually means.
>
> Because of that simple fact, they don't understand
> what makes a person a saint as per Catholicism.
>
> Just saying.

Sure we do.
For example, the #1 requirement is:
"... requiring extensive proof that the person proposed for canonization lived and died in such an exemplary and holy way that he or she is worthy to be recognized as a saint."

It's that "lived...in such an exemplary and holy way..." thing that's not so clear with Teresa.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 09:52PM

You mean a perfect life? No, that is not a requirement.

Many of the canonized saints lived lives that were far from perfect....

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:12PM

angela Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You mean a perfect life? No, that is not a
> requirement.
>
> Many of the canonized saints lived lives that were
> far from perfect....

No, I don't mean and didn't say "perfect life." I quoted the church's own requirements -- "exemplary and holy way."

Objective eyewitness reports about Teresa don't show her to be exemplary (unless you consider examples of cruelty and inflicting intentional suffering to be exemplary) nor holy.

Yes, I'm aware the canon of "saints" is full of "far from perfect" lives. In fact, it's got a ton of examples of really nasty people. That's kinda the point -- being declared a "saint" isn't all it's cracked up to be, it's largely politics, putting on a show, and a pile of nonsense.
But at least they should follow their own rules about who's "exemplary and holy." Otherwise they're just abject hypocrites (which is no surprise).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 02:14PM

Basically Catholic saints are supposed to be models of Christian belief and behavior.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 10:19PM

"For example, the #1 requirement is:
"... requiring extensive proof that the person proposed for canonization lived and died in such an exemplary and holy way that he or she is worthy to be recognized as a saint.""

My understanding is that one of the "miracles" attributed to Mother Teresa was someone who was ill (cancer??) prayed to her AFTER 1997, so after her death.

This person was "miraculously" cured of their illness as a result.

Not too scientific and WAY too subjective for thinking people today to accept as "proof"...

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: December 18, 2015 10:48PM

Used to have a thirty year waiting period before a candidate would be considered for beatification. Seems that with MT as with JP2, they're rushing the process before anyone has a chance to reconsider.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 02:30AM

Definitely agree. She made a lot of immoral choices. Thought that suffering was equivalent to redemption and would refuse medical care to many people so they could continue *suffering* and she could be close to all the holiness. Pretty screwed up.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:26AM

I hope some enterprising soul was smart enough to get some of her blood or bones from the mortuary to sell.

Just think of the gullible types who are still into that relic $tuff.

If it weren't for DNA testing (drat!), they wouldn't even need to be from her and people would still line up to see the pretty jar.

I get that they need to set up heroes for people to revere and see for examples.

I think that's why Mormons make a big deal about their prophets by attaching miracles and telling stories about them.

Same with heroes from history.

I think it is nice that groups do have a way of rewarding exemplary, brave, or people who provided outstanding service. Of course that "service" is only idolized if it was your group.

I think M.T. helped create the problems she was claiming to help.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 02:33PM

Sooooo many things I don't understand (or want or need to) about Catholicism...and I've been married to a Catholic for 42 years.

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.