Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:02AM

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mormon-leader-says-policy-against-gay-marriage-was-word-from-god/

The policy of shunning the children of same-sex partners came directly from God, according to Russell M. Nelson in a speech he gave at BYU-Hawaii.

"Each of us during that sacred moment felt a spiritual confirmation," he said. "It was our privilege as apostles to sustain what had been revealed to President Monson."

So why not say this was a revelation from the beginning? What's the use of having someone who speaks directly to God if the membership is not made aware of what God actually says?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 10:27AM by maeve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:09AM

Article commentary of interest.

Oooh, Inc. can't hide from this one.
Stomped solidly and decisively in it, lol, to the derision of humanity.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:18AM

Well you'd think that if God had actually awoken from his nap and had whispered something of such great social relevance in Tommy's wiggling ears that they would have shouted it from every Morg pulpit on the very next Sunday.

But noooooo, they let it leak out in some lame speech at some lame university far away across the ocean.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:19AM

A priceless quote from FB comments on this article.

"I find it interesting that Elder Nelson now declares this latest policy change a "revelation" received by Pres. Monson, after being "clarified" by Church Public Relations, after explained by Elder Christofferson, after published by an apostate, after leaked by an anonymous source, after quietly published in a Handbook most members can't see."

He was flamed from all directions for applying logic to the situation.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:32AM

Revelation, huh?

Where's the text with the "Thus saith the Lord" lead-in? Is a "spiritual feeling" the best that the Prophet and Apostles can do these days?

Wait, I'm getting a spiritual feeling of my own... it must be a revelation from God. Here is what the Lord wants you to know:

Mormonism is a fraud and the Q15 are deceptive skunks. That is all. Amen.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:40AM

You didn't use, "Thus sayeth the Lord", either. So I can discount your revelation. ;o)

Date: January 12, 2016 10:33AM

Well maybe we could account for their holding back on announcing the rare apparition of direct revelation from God if we consider how the Morg operates.....they had to wait for God's word to be cleared through multiple correlation committees.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:56AM

And blessed by Kirton McKonkie.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:54AM

Jeez what do you expect. The last major one for declaring the blacks are no longer cursed was written as "To whom it may concern".

Now days revelation has progressed to simple quiet policy changes. The lords ways are becoming more mysterious.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 11:08AM

Remember when Packer recently said the same thing about the Proclamation on the Family? Everyone knew it wasn't really a revelation, just like everyone today knows the latest policy wasn't really a revelation. I get the sense that most members recognize this as just another case of the president of the Q12 sayin' stuff. They know it ain't so, but they'll all nod in unison anyway.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 11:19AM

And the sheep continue to believe that line of horseshit.

RB

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 11:25AM

Write out a "thus-saith-the-lord" revelation then and let's vote on adding it to the D&C. Why did God talk to Joe, but to all other "prophets" he just gives warm fuzzies? Put it in writing and add it to your missionary discussions if you really believe it's the latest word from God for our day. If you can't do that, don't call it revelation.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 11:54AM

So they believe "men" will be punished for their own sins but children will be punished for the sins of their parents. Interesting......

So if your parents are "living in sin" (is there an SS department in the COB at LDS, Inc. that checks these things out?) outside of marriage as heterosexuals it's okay with LDS, Inc. but if they are living as homosexuals you are shunned? Again, interesting logic.

Looks like the 2nd and 13th articles of faith need a little rewriting because men who do not condemn their fathers'/mothers' behavior will be condemned themselves. I did not condemn my father for drinking beer, coffee and smoking cigars. Should I be judged for not upholding the Word of Wisdom? I see nothing honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, nor good towards all men in anything that LDS, Inc. does or says. It's all self-serving and mean spirited.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 12:07PM

The church PR department decides what is a revelation coming directly from god and what is not.

It is solidly based on focus group reactions. It appears the members decide by voting with their feet.

I call to mind the blitherings of Spencer W. Kimball regarding oral sex which was nullified almost immediately due to overwhelming negative reaction to this intrusion into the bedroom of married people. (as though garments aren't an intrustion into private areas lol) Even his mantelpiece book "Miracle of Forgiveness" has been subtly withdrawn due to bad member reaction as times change.

The Mormon Church is the ultimate leading-from-behind corporation.

Kathleen

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 12:17PM

Wait...just because a policy is revealed, doesn't make it a binding revelation. Those are two seperate things.
LDS PR Dept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 12:17PM by fudley.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 12:17PM

Its really laughable they are getting so desperate! Even the faithful were questioning this policy change as it leaked out. Obviously they are still getting lots of flak from all corners . They are very peeved that the faithful are still moaning about it, especially the young, so now its like, SHUTUP! Cos its a revelation! Isnt it! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Posted by: Anon i mouse ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 12:57PM

And what do you do when you look like an utter fool, have lost many of your congregation and many more are upset? You play your last big trump card...you play your "God" card and hope that no one blames you and members will fall in line n shut up!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 01:10PM

I say that because it means there'll be more youngsters who WON'T be indoctrinated into the destructive cult.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 01:27PM

Isn't he the one who wants members to have to stand while he walks into a room? Maybe he is God.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 01:46PM

got his twelve yes men to say yes. Impressive!

Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 02:53PM

And still be in Celestial Kingdom. That is the only logical way I can explain what Nelson said. TSM is prophet for the world so why was it not said to the world so the people will know what God thinks?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 03:03PM

So the Q12 has been comparing "Groupthink" to "revelation" all along.

So long as they each have a feeling in their bosom they're in agreement on a matter, therefore it is direct revelation from God himself.

That is downright scary, when considering who is in charge of running that operation!

Hint: It isn't' God!

group·think
ˈɡro͞opˌTHiNGk/
nounNORTH AMERICAN
the practice of thinking or making decisions as a group in a way that discourages creativity or individual responsibility.
"there's always a danger of groupthink when two leaders are so alike" (Yep, you nailed it!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 03:04PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 03:08PM

Too bad Nelson can't be honest enough to give credit where it's due: to the legal department of the church who drafted the opinion that he classifies as "revelation."

It's just another way of insulting the intelligence of the members who can see through the curtain.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 03:49PM

Well said, Anon i mouse:

And what do you do when you look like an utter fool, have lost many of your congregation and many more are upset? You play your last trump card...you play your "God" card and hope that no one blames you and members will fall in line n shut up!

The church definitely has worked itself between a rock and a harder place. They need to put the chocolate seer stone to work instead of it being merely a paper weight.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 03:52PM

If it's a revelation, what was revealed!???

Date: January 12, 2016 04:21PM

Between a rock and a seer stone you mean. :o)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 04:23PM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Between a rock and a seer stone you mean. :o)

:D

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 08:03PM

What about the (policy or DOCTRINE) children are accountable at age 8 thingee???

Oh; it's not 'really' a contradiction, see Johnny/Jane ?
Look over here if U don't see it the way I do!

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 09:07PM

Let me see if I've got this straight. Monson finally gets some facetime with god, receives some message that nobody seems to know the details of, and then lets his lackey Nelson tell everybody what went down? That's funny.

Posted by: wow ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 09:20PM

In a few years when this policy becomes inconvenient the Lds church will employ all or some of the following excuses:

the gay policy never existed, and if did it was policy not doctrine,

if the prophet did state that the doctrine existed then he was speaking as a man not as the prophet,

if you question the official church position regarding the history of the non-policy on gays, then you have the sprit of the devil,

the Lds church has always been one of the country's greatest advocates for LGBT rights,

it is ok if you realize the apostles are lying filthy scu m just don't tell your family or friends.

Monson and Nelson are asses and the wife is a pitiful brain dead joke.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 09:31PM

Incredible! What kind of a deity are they getting revelations from? Not one I want to know anything about.

They change a policy, it goes public, then months later, they come up with a cover story that it was a revelation.
Nonsense.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:26PM

takin' off the gloves Suzie. I love it!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 12, 2016 10:40PM

“The truth needs so little Rehearsal”
-Barbara Kingsolver

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.