Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JohnBF ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 03:21AM

Will someone explain to me how the following 2 verses are correct?

"Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord."
Jacob 2:24 p. 121 Book of Mormon

"David also received many wives and concubines, and also Solomon and Moses my servants, as also many others of my servants, from the beginning of creation until this time; and in nothing did they sin save in those things which they received not of me."
D&C 132:38 p.270

This points out an important issue of basic believe: How can something be a sin and not a sin at the same time? If the Lord doesn't know than how can we?

If you know of any other LDS false Doctrine post them here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aussieblokesarebest ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 10:09AM

It's irrelevant.

Everything is the immagination of fraudsters.

Nothing they say is real.

It's all make believe.

My blow-up plastic girlfriend is more real than the TSCC.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 10:28AM

Because they are both LDS doctrine they can be true and false at the same time.

That's the beauty of it.

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 01:44PM

The religious equivalent of schrodinger's cat.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 10:31AM

Oh, but the LDS Church has given themselves an out by stating that the Bible has many errors in it. Joseph Smith sought to correct those errors. Or so they say.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 12:08PM

But neither of the OP's quotes were from the Bible; Both were from Joe Smith.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 10:32AM

Polygamy was never sanctioned by God in the OT. Deuteronomy 17:17 makes that clear that no one is to accumulate wives. The majority of men in the OT had one wife. There were those that had 2 or more but even the scriptures say more than one wife will create a disharmony in the home. There were rules put into place because it was practiced, just like with divorce. But it was never commanded and because of Solomon having 700 wives and 300 concubines, and placating them by worshiping their gods, the kingdom was divided. Joseph Smith propagated a huge lie that polygamy was commanded by God. I believed it until I actually wrote a paper on it.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 10:36AM

The simple explanation is that the BoM was "translated" in 1829 and D&C 132 was "recorded" in 1843. God obviously got over being upset with David and Solomon during those years and decided that the whole wives and concubines thing was cool.

But seriously, I wonder how apologies explain this contradiction.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 10:41AM

That one's easy for an apologist. All they have to do is refer to Article of Faith # 8:

"We believe the Bible to be the word of God AS FAR AS IT IS TRANSLATED CORRECTLY; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 10:45AM

ask them which part was NOT translated correctly.

Date: March 13, 2016 10:50AM

Neither Jacob 2 nor D&C 132 are in the Bible, so if anything is translated incorrectly here, either God or Joe screwed up.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 11:04AM

For more such contradictions see my list at "Mormon Contradictions" http://packham.n4m.org/contra.htm (The one mentioned by OP is at the top).

For similar contradictions in the Bible, see my "Bible Notes" at http://packham.n4m.org/bible.htm#CONTRA

Christians who claim that polygamy in the OT was never sanctioned by God overlook the fact that the prophet Nathan specifically told King David that God had given David his wives. (2 Sam 12:8) They often cite (as Allegro does above) Deut 17:17, saying that the king should not "multiply wives to himself," but that does not mean he should have only one wife, since the same language in the previous verse forbids him to "multiply horses." So the king should have only one horse?

The argument that God gave rules for the practice because people were practicing it anyway does not hold water. Why didn't God simply forbid it? Note that if he had, there would not have been twelve tribes of Israel. In all the passages in the OT reporting a man having multiple wives, there is not a word which indicates that God condemns the practice.

Date: March 13, 2016 11:23AM

Thanks for your biblical contradictions list. Mormons aren't alone when it comes to the need to do mental gymnastics when reading "god's word."

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 11:29AM

No politics; but he is still a Mormon of record...

The Mormons are excommunicating Dehlin and Kate Kelly and others; yet are mum on the Rubios???? Hmmm???

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/67102-when-will-marco-rubio-be-excommunicated/

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 12:28PM

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 11:43AM

What never occurred to me until I stopped believing in the church was the Book of Mormon states God is a spirit, and it never mentions him being a physical person. But, from the get go, when I was taking missionary discussions, I was only told God was a physical being, just with no blood. Never once did I hear of anyone questioning that discrepancy. How apologists spin that, I have no idea, nor do I really care.

But, to be fair, there isn't any "true" vs "false" doctrine. There is only what someone will believe. And what someone will believe will contradict what someone else will believe.

Posted by: eyes1 ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 01:12PM

The temple sealings regarding divorce are discriminatory. Previous bishop counseled that ex husband will not need approval to remarry in church. Women need special approval for temple divoce from church presidency at the time. The reasoning provided was so i may have eternal family in spirit world. It's great for self esteem that the binding laws for eternal sealings reflect preference for male inequality.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 01:20PM

To be fair: That's what it states in D&C 132. A man can ask wife #1 for permission; but if she doesn't give it, the man can still marry and it becomes a sin (vanity or an issue) that wife #1 will have to work out.

It's the "Law of Sarah" D&C 132:64-65

Date: March 13, 2016 01:27PM

Well in the utopian society that was 'too advanced for its time' (actual quote from TBM) that JS created, it has perfect sense for women to work out protesting polygamy. Because women would have more perfect standards then.

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 01:53PM

A TBM explained it to me this way:

Notice: “save in those things which they received not of me” D&C 132:38

You see, David received some of his wives from God. That was ok. Then he took other wives not sanctioned by God. That’s what the Book of Mormon was referring to.

There. Problem solved.

What’s amazing to me is that he could look at those two scriptures side by side and not see the obvious contradiction.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 01:56PM

you mean to tell me that they are having a hard time getting their made up bullshit straight ?

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: March 13, 2016 05:37PM

That's the beauty of being the Lord's mouthpiece! You can have the lord say anything you need him to say.

Date: March 13, 2016 05:57PM

Haha and believe the mouthpiece blindly... Because to research it is evil

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.