Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 11:54AM

When I was a young Kolobian I always questioned what things were good and what things were bad. After all, Kolobianism is all about achieving perfection.

So I would ask my mom, my sunday school teachers, etc, what about Coke? What about Mt. Dew? What about Hershey's? What about x, y, & z? Can I watch this movie? What about that movie? Is this music ok? Are these books cool?

It seemed like everybody had a different opinion about everything. Some kolobians said PG-13 was ok, some said you can't go higher than PG. Some said candy was against the WoW, some said it wasn't.

So I asked why the prophet can't tell us which things are good, and which things are bad, so we can know once and for all and not bicker about it, and I always got the same bull**** answer:

"If the prophet made a decision about that, he'd have to make a decision about everything."

And??? It's not as if he's revealing visions or writing new revelations... really, what is he so busy doing? He doesn't write his own conference talks. He probably doesn't even tie his own shoes.

Why are kolobians so content to have a prophet that doesn't do anything at all?

Anybody else have this problem while they were on the inside?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 12:26PM

We thank, Thee, O God, for a Prophet to guide us in these later days, right? We have a living prophet and the other churches don't, neener neener neener, right? So where is the prophesying? Where is the guidance? Where are the answers to common questions?

No, everything isn't answered in the scriptures and official declarations. No, it doesn't all come down to Forever Families and qualifying for a temple recommend and obeying the whims of priesthood leadership. Life isn't that F-ing simplistic.

But now I see the prophet doesn't have the answers and doesn't even want to give them, because once you have them, you don't need him. So the ONLY answer that matters is FOLLOW THE PROPHET. Where is he going? It doesn't matter. It's just someplace nice. Trust him. And stop asking questions.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 12:40PM

What sort of guidance and leadership have we seen since TSM assumed the office of prophet?

ZERO.

TBM lurkers… He – llo… Doesn't that strike you as peculiar, given all the Mormon hymns heaping praise on "the prophet" and given all the testimonies on F&T Sundays, all the chirpy “I KNOW that Pres. Monson is our prophet!” affirmations despite the painfully obvious absence of guidance, leadership, or substance during his office?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 12:51PM

At least Gordon had the gall to stand up and lie to his own people! And he gave us useless member-missionary programs that drove the members crazy and made them give up.

Maybe I mentioned this before, but has anyone else noticed that Monson never testifies of the Restoration? I didn't reaqlly check it out this GC but last conference he did not once testify of Joseph or the BoM or the Restoration, though he did say (while speaking of Christlikiness) that this work was true.

I think Tom has been under the leadership of crafty Hinckly the PR professional for the last whoknowshomany years and has seen enough that he is just holding out until he is safely dead and doesn't have to deal with it anymore.

Posted by: almostgone ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 12:46PM

And when was the last time a prophet started a sentence with "Thus saith the Lord"?

Funny thing is the "lesson" this week in church said the prophet doesn't have to say "Thus saith the Lord" for it to be so...

But, then the argument about him just speaking as man are all valid.

You can't have it both ways!!!

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 12:54PM

That's so funny. If the lesson this week in church said the prophet doesn't have to say "Thus saith the Lord" for it to be so..."

I wonder if anyone thought to bring up the journal of discourses.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 01:50PM

Now, now, y'all... he is a busy man! He has to be thinking up other ways to control the Morgbots by guiding them on what kind of underwear they can wear and how many ear piercings someone can have... you know, the really IMPORTANT and life-changing stuff.

Posted by: tbirdguy ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 02:29PM

When I received my mission call in 1982 from Pres Kimball, I knew without any doubt that it was bogus. I was TBM, but it was obvious that an old man in a coma and near death was not going to be signing his name on hundreds of missionary call letters per week. I knew there had to be some kind of auto-pen machine that was "forging" his signature. Years later, I discovered that my hunch was right.

Spence was way too busy. Too busy dying.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.