Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: overit ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 08:12PM

As a TBM I was frequently pressured by missionaries/leaders to give BOMs to my friends and acquaintances.The thought always left me quaking with fear so I never did it. How did you deal with this when you were a tbm?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 08:16PM

Pushing a religion on anyone is rude. Mormonism has codified rudeness as part of the Mormon lifestyle. Every member an aggressive snake oil sales man.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 08:16PM by donbagley.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 08:17PM

there's a story that went around detailing how some older editions were distributed to 'lesser' (unwashed masses) people while newer ones sat in a warehouse unused...

Yup, that sounds like TSCC.

TSCC is nice, 'eh? Not All Members are created equal, they need the stratum to straighten out things!

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 09:47PM

The story as I recall was that a new missionary edition was planned for printing, but thousands of copies of the then-current edition were collecting dust in a warehouse. To avoid having to recycle them, The Morg simply played the "every member a missionary" card to get members to purchase entire cases of the old stock in order to give them away indiscriminately.

Posted by: JBF ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 12:55AM

Anyone would get a better response if they gave out tickets to the BOM Stage SHOW don't you think?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 12:57AM

I take all they will give me to keep them out of hands of gullible people.

Posted by: hawk ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 01:00AM

I gave one to a good friend when I was only 8.

She wasn't my friend much longer after that.

I gave one to another friend in high school. She seemed excited, but only because she was a pathological liar and was constantly looking for ways to get money out of people (she lied about having cancer and tried to get money from my ward).

After one of my best friends was baptized and then left within a month, I decided not to push anymore.

Then I found my way out. :P Goodbye, pushy down-your-throat bullshit!

Posted by: wondercat ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:42PM

Another cancer liar! Mine was a university student who by all accounts, was very honest. After she dropped out, we all got hit up for donations. Boy, were we angry when we found out what she did to us!

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 10:33AM

I never gave out a BoM. Someone's religious preference seemed so personal, it was a boundary I couldn't cross. Not even as a TBM. I tried half-heartedly with my family, but they weren't interested at all, except hoping one day I would see the light and leave the cult.

Who truly wants someone to push their religion on them? No one would do such a thing if they respected a person as a thinking feeling human being. It says, in effect, "I know better than you what you need. I do not respect that you already have a way of believing that works for you. You are not good enough the way you are." It's uncalled for, even if people join up sometimes. That doesn't justify the means.

And this goes for all God-botherers. They all think they have the truth, Mormon or not. But they never see the irony in that.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 06:46AM

That always bothered me too. If God is all-powerful, why doesn't he tell them himself? He(or she) would be much more convincing.

Posted by: mountainbike ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:31PM

Whenever I get a free copy of the BoM I just black out the middle "m" in Mormon and a few letters in "Jesus Christ" with a Sharpie so it reads "The Book of Mor on Another Testament of s h i t" and then I "accidentally" drop the book in a public place in Utah. Whatever. They were the ones who knocked on my door multiple times trying to sell me their story so I see it totally justified to share mine as well...

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 01:58PM

My view: Living as a Mormon was a painful experience. Why entice good and happy people into a painful and unhappy life.

The Church can't push my buttons any more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.