Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 02:47PM

Another damning piece regarding BYU blaming the victim. I sure hope this makes the National news cycle. I love the internet, it shines a bright light on true mormonism.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3897390-155/byu-students-who-reported-sex-assaults

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gideon ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 02:52PM

Internet is great. I saw a study a while back that shows a very close inverse relationship to a decline in the church growth rate and the increase of Internet accessibility.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 03:17PM

Why don't they just cut to the quick and reveal what we already know they believe: females are of the devil.

Why else would their roles in the ghawd paradigm be so minor?

Also, what's the limit on the number of wives a ghawd can have?

Someone needs to find a Guinness Book of Ghawdhood Records for the above information, and for whatever other interesting ghawd records exist. When Jehovah flooded the earth, was the number of humans killed anywhere close to a record?

Date: May 19, 2016 04:04PM

"Of more than 50 people who have told The Tribune they were sexually assaulted while attending BYU, a majority said they did not report the assaults — most of them citing fears that they would be held guilty of chastity violations, either for the assault or for prior sexual contact."

You know for every one of the 50, there's probably at least 5 that didn't come forward for this article. The total number is gigantic. There should be a DOJ investigation.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 07:51PM

I can't even begin to tell you how angry this makes me feel.

Date: May 19, 2016 08:54PM

Me too. But what can an average citizen do to get people to investigate further? I'm willing to sound the alarm, but what do we have to do to get other than locals to pay attention?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 19, 2016 11:52PM

Get BYU's football schedule. Email links to the newspaper articles to the editor of the student newspaper of each school that they are playing. Watch mayhem ensue.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 12:16AM

This morning BYU launched a website soliciting anonymous "feedback" on this issue from students, faculty, alums and any members of the community. You can post your comments here: https://feedback2016.byu.edu/

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 11:08AM

IDK if there's a way to for BYU to separate prior sexual activity from a victim, especially if the victim accuses someone (she) had consensual sex with prior to the (alleged) rape.

I fully support that no means NO, anytime, anywhere.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 11:29AM

I've told this story before, but it goes along with this subject. One of my early exmo friends, who used to frequent this board, was raped on her mission in a foreign country. She never questioned back then that it was her "fault." It wasn't until years later, after leaving the church that she got it through her head that she was a victim and it was not her fault.

It was back before there were rules about sister missionaries not teaching men. They had an investigator who seemed really interested (yeah, in her, not the message--but what do naive Utah girls know). One night he called and asked her to come over because he had a burning question about a gospel subject and was ready to commit to baptism but needed this question answered. He asked her if she could come by herself as he felt uncomfortable with her companion. She said she understood (her companion was weird) and she went by herself. Totally violating the mission rules.

So you can guess what happened. She returned home distraught, her companion called the MP and they were there immediately to fetch her. They never asked if she was ok, they didn't call the police, they didn't seek medical attention for her. They grilled her over and over about why she went there by herself. They put her on a plane the next day and told her she had an appointment with the SP as soon as she got home. She was disfellowshipped upon returning home and told she had returned dishonorably.

So she returned to Utah, took up with her former RM boyfriend and got engaged. Even though it had been over a year since she'd been disfellowshipped, the penisholders drug their feet on reinstating her membership and it wasn't until a few days before her wedding that she was sure they'd be able to get married in the temple. They finally did. I met her when she was newly divorced and newly exmo.

No decent law enforcement would ever say a woman was at fault because she went to a man's house or allowed him in her house against rules. They wouldn't care about any stupid cult rules. If they are attacked, they are victims. But obviously Utah police, BYU buttheads, mission morons, and other totally misogynistic males think they know better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2016 11:32AM by NormaRae.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.