Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 02:51PM

Over the past few days I have been sent 2 links to mormon.org. They had 2 videos. One is BoM in 60 seconds. The
Other What Happens When You Die. It insulted my intelligence to view these videos. They looked like they were made for 6 year olds and a tone of any basic Christian religion that is looking for coverts. Not inspiring but entertainment for the low information consumer. Is this a church website?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: byuatheist ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 03:25PM

The copyright message is:

"© 2016 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved."

The Intellectual Reserve is the Church's IP holding company. They also hold the copyright to the Book of Mormon, the D&C, and the PoGP.

mormon.org seems to be geared more toward investigators, whereas lds.org is aimed at members.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 04:55PM

The actual text of the BoM isn't copyrighted, correct? Only the editions with added footnotes, etc...? Did TSCC ever have a copyright on the actual text? I don't know how you could claim ownership of what you claim is just a translation of an ancient text.

Posted by: byuatheist ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 05:09PM

The actual text itself is copyrighted. The copyright is held by the Church, through (I think) the Intellectual Reserve. During the period in which the church was disincorporated, the President of the Church held the copyright.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 06:54PM

Actually the copyright on the text expired decades ago. It's the footnotes and commentary that they can claim. This is why the FLDS an others can print as many copies as they want. They just have to use a older version.

Posted by: Ron Glynn ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 08:11PM

Many years ago, Jerald and Sandra Tanner(former Mormoms) put out a photo reprint of the 1830 Book Of Mormon with all the changes made from 1830 to 1964 to the original text. The changes include words added, words deleted, textual changes, and spelling changes. The photo reprint is entitled 3,913 Changes in the Book Of Mormon. Since 1964, there have been many more changes made to the Book of Mormon.

On one occasion, Joseph Smith stated, "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on the Earth...History of the Church, Vol. 4. page 461. Considering all the thousand of changes made, the BOM is more like the most corrected book on Earth.

The 3,913 Changes in the Book Of Mormon is available for $16 from the Utah Lighthouse Ministry in Salt Lake City.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 10:22AM

THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION!!!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 09:45PM

"Intellectual Reserve" is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Yup, they must be reserving a lot based on what is actually released to the public.

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 04:19PM

You are correct. They only want people who have the intent to join. They don't want casual observers who attend for their own spiritual purposes, at their own pace, and at their own discretion. They really don't like to see agency used in its purest form.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 05:02PM

There's no room in the pews for thinkers.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 05:17PM

Its core was some characters. Wild West folks and folk of the fringe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2016 05:17PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 05:21PM

Yep, the cult is going through a caustic culling process. If you dare and are capable of asking the wrong questions after all of the "don'ts" they have outlined, then, 'Out, damn spot, out.' All the cult is interested in keeping in their clan are those who will hand over their 10% plus, fulfill their callings robotically every week, and then ask what else they might do to help the cause.

If you think outside of this cult's box and make a stink, the devil is driving you and they can prove it (or so they claim). Right now, the cult in my opinion, is forced by Google in a corner and because they are the totalitarian organization they are, they must raise their sticks and come out excommunicating in large numbers and/or coming up with tall tales to damage reputation, using hate and scare tactics.

Sure reminds me of lots of other organizations in the history of the world. THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY AND IT IS OUR WAY!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 07:42PM

If by "quality" you mean full tithe payers, you are wrong.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 09:54PM

They want fools and their money.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 03:47PM

Yes, as has been observed before, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

The Mormon cult ranks that phrase right below, "When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done."

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/followingthebrethren.htm

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 10:34AM

Although I agree with your original post and the additional information in this thread, I find the thread title to be offensive. The idea of "quality people" vs. "non-quality people" to be disturbing and very lds.

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 11:43AM

Settle down, I realize that it is 2016 in America, and that being offended is very vogue, but this is not something to be offended by. No one goes through life without choosing who they spend time with, who their friends are, and who is just an acquaintence or co-worker never to be invited into a more personal friendship. Do you think those are something other than quality judgements? Do you never make those judgements?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2016 11:43AM by story100.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 03:01PM

That is why I choose the title. Would you have preferred I say "golden" instead? Or how about "low information people" vs "high information people" in the 70's we talked abut getting quality people into the Church. They would be good leaders, pay tithing and generally support all Church activities.

Did you to Mormon.org and look at the videos? No thinking required just pure entertainment at the lowest level possible.It makes the Ensign look like a work of great literature.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 03:15PM

Beggars can't be choosers. They're just targeting their marketing materials to the audience that's most susceptible to their crap.

The goal is numbers, not tithe payers and workers...a desperation move, to be sure.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 03:50PM

I think the church wants all kinds of people. What they need are affluent people willing to help them stop the bleeding.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 03:59PM

Wanting and chance of success are two different things.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 04:08PM

If that's what the church really wants, you'd never know by their efforts to reel them in. They do nothing, whatsoever to appeal to those folks.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 04:41PM

border girl - My take on the title words are "people who think for themselves and MORONS who have the profit think for them," or in short "non-Mormons vs Mormons."

I could not get any videos to work on mormon.org.
But if the point is that these videos insult your intelligence, have you seen the movie that is shown in the temple?
It is so stupid and dumb sounding that even SNL couldn't make fun of it.
They sound like the are reading the lines from a script w/o bothering to memorize it like "We will go down and organize matter." It is said in a halting way of someone who can barely read. It is beyond me how people don't laugh themselves sick with this movie.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 08:53PM

QUALITY PEOPLE peek behind the curtain.

Quality People get out!

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: May 21, 2016 08:55PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.