Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:03AM

Using statistics compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), these are the states with the worst drivers based on he likelihood of experiencing a fatality.

Montana — 1st in fatality rate per 100 million miles traveled

South Carolina — 3rd in drunk driving citations

New Mexico — 5th in careless driving charges

Texas — 6th in drunk driving citations

Louisiana — 1st in failure to obey traffic control devices

Arizona — 3rd in careless driving charges

Hawaii — 4th in drunk driving citations

North Dakota — 1st in drunk driving citations

Delaware — 2nd in careless driving charges

Mississippi — 3rd in fatality rate per 100 million miles traveled

I didn't see Utah listed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:07AM

My pet peeve are the assholes who don't know how to merge into a controlled access freeway.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:08AM

I know that's not where you were headed. Whoopsies and so sorry, don't mean to hijack.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:13AM

I would have to say that the weirdest thing I ever saw in LA was that if somebody turned on, say, their right-hand turn signal, then everyone behind him turned theirs on, too. so you could never assume that just because somebody had they turn signal on, they intended to turn. Often, it just meant "the guy in front of me intends to turn."

In NM, using a turn signal seems to indicate cowardice. I am constantly amazed at the number of drivers who make lane changes and turns without signaling. I have learned to watch driver behavior (glancing into their mirrors, looking over their shoulders, etc.) to suggest what the driver intends to do. Also, MANY people who could have stopped, run yellow lights. And plenty of people run red lights. I always tell visitors from out of state, "Even if you have a green light, still glance both ways before you move. You don't want to get T-boned by someone who doesn't feel like stopping just then."

And the same behaviors are exhibited on the freeways, only 20-30+ mph faster. And then you have the drivers who like to crawl up your tailpipe at 65-70 mph. That's why I refuse to drive on the freeways any more, and as little as possible in general. People can get VERY belligerent behind the wheel.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 10:52AM

And don't forget crap flying off the back of a truck bed because it's never securely strapped down.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:27PM

Oh, they do that "monkey see... monkey do" thing with the turn signals in Alabama too. "We's just lettin y'all know that someun up ahead is turnin."

"Oh, thanks. I never would have figured that out with a line of cars at a standstill."

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:41AM

Montana tops the list because of very high speed limits on the interstates. At 85 mph, seatbelts and airbags can do just so much.

Catnip, in Massachusetts using the turn signal is regarding as giving information to the enemy. At redlights, people believe if they can tailgate the car ahead, or just get the front wheels somewhere near the stopline, they are allowed to proceed all the way through. They always say it's yellow. "Yellow" = "This is your last chance, get going right now!"

Jerk Driver: "Officer, that was a yellow light!"
Officer* Caffiend: "Are you sure it was yellow?"
Jerk Driver: "Yes--yellow!"

Officer Caffiend then writes a $150 ticket for "Yellow light, failure to stop in a time manner."

*Now retired. I do miss the fun of writing down jerks' license plates when off-duty and mailing them tickets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 09:45AM by caffiend.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:22PM

I saw a police car rear end a car at a yellow light yesterday. I live in Washington.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 04:46PM by madalice.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 10:05AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't see Utah listed.

Possibly because:

a) the cops drive as badly as everyone else, so they don't recognize bad driving that needs a citation
b) the cops are busy trying to see if drivers are wearing garments or not -- with the not indicating they need to be pulled over
c) the cops are all sitting off the highways at speed traps, looking for those out of state gentile drivers to bag

Possibly. :)

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:13PM

Right?

Cabdriver Confession: I've only driven in three of those states (at least I think I crossed the corner of North Dakota once; my grilfriend might've been driving, and that was a long time ago), and I've got a "glad I was packing heat" story about being in New Mexico...

Anyway, what about Idaho drivers?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:32PM

my turn signal is NOT a request !

I'm coming over whether you like it or not !

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.