Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 12:34AM

Instead of driving 3 hours(there and back) to another temple like Logan??my nephew's upcoming wedding is the Logan temple. He lives in Idaho Falls. Idaho Falls still has a Temple doesn't it!??? I'll never understand morg logic!! But then again when do TBM's do anything logical!???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 12:37AM

It is closed for renovations until October.

Date: June 28, 2016 12:43AM

What about Rexburg? That's closer than Logan?

Date: June 28, 2016 12:45AM

Maybe they were given a choice or perhaps more of the family members live near Logan.

Date: June 28, 2016 12:48AM

I didn't see a wedding reception there on the wedding temple invitation. Just Idaho Falls.

Date: June 28, 2016 12:54AM

Can only guess that the Logan temple is closer to many of the people attending the temple wedding itself.

Date: June 28, 2016 01:10AM

Could also be that the Rexburg temple has no openings on the day they want to get married. A lot of other people from Idaho Falls are probably going there now while Idaho Falls is closed.

Date: June 28, 2016 01:20AM

Or maybe Twin Falls??

Date: June 28, 2016 01:25AM

That's almost the same distance as Logan. Where is his fiance's family located? Maybe they are mostly in Utah.

Date: June 28, 2016 01:38AM

They might be. But then this nephew has hardly come visit his grandfather, aunts and uncles during his breaks at BYU- Idaho over the last few years. A lot of his aunts and uncles live in southern Idaho.

I hardly hear from him and don't even know his wife. I'm sure other family members probably feel the same....

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 05:56AM

Anonymous 2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They might be. But then this nephew has hardly
> come visit his grandfather, aunts and uncles
> during his breaks at BYU- Idaho over the last few
> years. A lot of his aunts and uncles live in
> southern Idaho.
>
> I hardly hear from him and don't even know his
> wife. I'm sure other family members probably feel
> the same....

I can't really identify with the logic as I think they're all ugly, but some people like the older temples and think they have more ambience, or some just like the look of the outside of a particular temple and want their wedding photos to be in front of the temple they like even if it's not the closest to their home.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 02:22AM

This behavior seems pretty typical to me. I have known many mormons to get married in temples that are not the closest to them geographically or the most convenient for them, or even for either side of the family. My parents got married in the Los Angeles temople; it was convenient for my mother's parents, but tons of her brothers and sisters lived away from LA, and my parents live at BYU, a 10 hour drive from LA, and my father's parents lived at least a days drive, but they also lived only a couple hundred miles from a temple (Cardston Alberta). Their were many closer options, but all of them would have inconvenienced someone, and for some reason they chose the one that inconvenienced them, and everyone but my mom's parents.

My brother and sister-in-law bypassed about a dozen temples from Provo to Bountiful and married in the bountiful temple- over a thousand miles from BOTH of their families (who both lived within a 2.5 hour drive of a temple), but that was their decision. Why not marry in the provo temple? In the Salt Lake temple? who knows. Why not marry closer to one of the parents? who knows. They decided to have a wedding ceremony and reception in the same GENERAL location as where they lived and went to school, but it was still like an hour and a half drive up from Provo. So who knows.

I know a couple who decided, for some bizarre reason, to get married in the Nauvoo Temple! neither family lived anywhere close to Illinois or Missouri, it was like a 6 hour drive from where ONE side of the family lived, it's in the middle of nowhere for things like hotels and reception spots, etc. and it was in the middle of summer IIRC, which meant it was super-hot and humid. That decision still baffles me.

Anyway, bizarre decisions, perhaps, but still normal for mormons in my experience, and I and others could probably cite other examples. I think I've even heard of wealthier mormons doing 'destination' temple weddings.

Posted by: bordergirl not logged in ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:42AM

Why would it be surprising that there is so little concern for family and friends of the couple getting married?

Lds feel very comfortable expecting any number of family and friends to come, but be left out in the cold.

Receptions are often pro forma and regarded as sop to the unworthy.

Posted by: anonlurkeranon ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 12:39PM

I would have to say I don't see this behavior as any different than non Mormons having their weddings at specific locations like a Hawaii beach or a outdoor forest somewhere. It is typical of almost all couples getting married to only think of themselves.

The only thing that makes it different for Mormons is their choice of locations is limited.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 02:54AM

I guess some TBM's decide to get married in a temple that's closer to most family members, especially if one family is from Utah.

My youngest step sister got married last year in the Payson, Utah temple because that's where she and the groom are from, and that particular temple had larger "sealing" rooms than some of the other temples. Both of them had large Mormon families, and wanted to have as many relatives in the room with them as possible. Others drove up from Las Vegas, including her apostate dad, my mom who was the evil stepmom because she refuses to convert, and her nieces who were about a year younger than her, so they all grew up together.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 09:25AM

I know lots of people specifically avoided the Ogden temple for various reasons. Mormons look down on Ogden for one. It's where poor people live and immigrants. But then the bretheren plopped down $40 million (or whatever it cost) and romanticized the modern building to attract couples to get married there.

I suppose it worked?

Posted by: Former Finance Clerk ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 10:26AM

I'd say it has worked - the Ogden Temple seems much more busy and I see many, many more weddings there than I ever did at the "old" version.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:15AM

Nobody wanted their wedding photos with the Ogden Temple in the background. It was ugly as hell until it was renovated. It was some 70's version of a bad alien looking spaceship monstrosity.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 04:32PM

Now it's a different ugly as hell.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 10:36AM

? what are the min. & max capacities of sealing rooms?

are the sizes/capacities published - available online?

the 'ceremony' doesn't last very long, does it? NO couple or self-written vows, that's for sure!

and Finally....

is BY still charging $10 for a divorce?

Posted by: alisonwonderland ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 11:30AM

When I got married in 2003 there was one temple in the area, right across from the chapel meetinghouse. The next closest temple was a 3-hr flight away. I did not want to get married in the local temple, simply because it was local. Driving to the temple for my wedding would have felt like driving to church like we did every week. Luckily, when I got engaged the local temple closed for renovations and unless we wanted to wait 6 months or so (and risk giving in to sexual temptation ;-) we needed to buy plane tickets to do get married somewhere else. Since the cost of travelling to the next nearest temple cost the same as going to Hawaii where we planned to honeymoon, and because only our families would be present at the ceremony anyway, we decided to get married in Hawaii. We had our reception back hom when we returned.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 12:08PM

Many people like the older temples just for their architecture. I would imagine SLC is the most popular, followed by Manti, Logan, etc.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 02:35PM

My brother married his celestial bride in the Salt Lake temple, despite living in San Diego. Most of everybody's family and friends were in San Diego as well. So everybody had to trek to Utah for the wedding.

Why did they choose SLC?

"It's prettier than the LA temple."

Sigh.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 02:50PM

I always thought it was the Mormon equivalent of a destination wedding. Couples wanted to get married in the historic, pretty temples: Salt Lake, Manti, Logan. I know at one point in the past, these were the only temples doing the live ritual rather than the movie.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 04:20PM

That's true, it's basically a destination wedding for Mormons, especially if they choose the Salt Lake or other historic temples. I do think the Las Vegas temple is especially ugly, and I feel sorry for those TBM's who think getting married there is the equivalent of a Vegas wedding.

When I was with my ex-husband, he and his mom got a reception invitation for someone whose son got married at the Salt Lake temple, because he met his now wife at BYU in Provo. As my ex and his mom barely knew the groom's parents, they decided to ignore the gift grab known as the reception. I learned then that Mormons ignore RSVP requests, as my ex and his mom didn't even decline the invitation, they just ignored it. The groom grew up in the ward, but had gone to Utah for college.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 04:01PM

Why don't you ask your nephews family? If they sent you an invitation you must be on talking terms.

The family will have an answer, everyone on this site can only make conjectures.

Date: June 30, 2016 12:12PM

Actually we've had very little contact with other family members since my TBM mom passed away in 2013. The same with the nephew getting married.

He's been going to school at BYU Idaho. I've never seen come see his grandfather or any of his aunts or uncles who live in southern Idaho during any holiday breaks. To top it off I'm pretty sure hardly any of us have meet his bride!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 04:18PM

she was thinking Logan since we live in Cache Valley, as did most of his family. I told her I'd prefer Brigham City as I thought it was prettier inside (I toured at the open house with her as she had no mormon friends who could go with her). I grew up in Brigham City. I understand Logan is still mauve inside, the same as when I got married in 1984. She agreed that Brigham was prettier and also not as busy, so they picked Brigham.

Logan hasn't been a live session for a long, long time. The only live session I ever did was Idaho Falls. My sister went to SLC and had the live session. She looked like she'd been through hell when she got home. We were definitely NOT fans of live sessions.

As for Ogden, I don't know if they are considered a poor area, but coming from the generation when the Ogden temple was built, MOST of my friends chose not to get married there as it really was ugly. When are they going to tear down the other monstrosity built at that time, Provo?

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 28, 2016 08:12PM

For midwestanon, there are not a dozen temples between Provo and Bountiful. Frankly, I am surprised at the number of posts to this thread in that, why does anyone care which temple a couple chooses in which to be married? But of course, this from a nevermo point of view

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 08:15PM by cinda.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 05:26AM

Between Provo and Bountiful, their are 7. (or 8? I didn't do an exact count, I just rounded up.) And it's not like Ogden or Logan would be that far from Bountiful anyway. My point was to illustrate how arbitrary the choice seemed.

The biggest question is why the fuck you care.

And people care for pretty much the same reason nonmormons care; it seems to be a cultural phenomenon that couples get married in locations or destinations that are desirable for them (not even necessarily convenient), regardless of the feelings of the parents or family members of the couples, who are usually the ones footing the bill for the wedding and reception and all that jazz. So that's why their are so many responses, you clueless twit.

I don't personally get what's so important about having a super fancy wedding, but I've never been married. I've been to a few, and many, many receptions, and they all seemed to be pretty bland and homogeneous. However, that's the opinion of someone who's never been married, maybe I'll feel differently when I'm actually getting married.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2016 05:33AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 10:36AM

Um, seven does not round to twelve under any rule I am aware of. So "clueless twit" seems a bit harsh. Try not to post any more before your morning coffee.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 04:18AM

I think for many young women the SLC temple is put up there as an ideal of where to get married. I think a lot of people just pick their favorite temple regardless of where it's located.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 05:03PM

I would at least try for a good looking temple.

Posted by: Journey ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 07:18PM

Since there are no pictures of the ceremony, you might as well pick a temple you like better on the outside. Why not?

I stupidly agreed to the Ogden Temple in 1985 because that's where husband 1.0 was from. I didn't have any members in my family. I married husband 2.0 in a very nice wedding chapel here in Las Vegas, with lots of loved ones around me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.