Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 04:50PM

Do you see any real difference between the clubs? They are all sponsored by groupes that believe in cartoon characters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 04:52PM

I think Stan is probably misunderstood. That's a HELL of a deal to have an afterschool program like that.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 06:14PM

This is why we agnostics have an evolutionary advantage.

Because we're open-minded (some would say noncommittal) and allow for the plausibility of various beliefs and nonbeliefs, as contradictory and silly as most of them are, we can with a clear conscience send our kids to after-school programs run by Satan, Joey Smith, the Pope, Pol Pot--you name it.

It's great for job-hunting, too, when your networking contacts aren't limited by anything as irrelevant as the existence of a supreme being.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 06:31PM

Will there be milk and cookies?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 07:05PM

In Satanism there are no meek. Satanist declare, "let's take over the world; the meek won't mind."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 07:12PM

Baphomet looks cooler than that Christus statue in SLC temple square any day :)

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 08:15PM

I would certainly hope so. Otherwise the J.W.s, Catholics and Mormons are going to scoop up all the young talent.

Posted by: nightwolf983 ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 08:18PM

The Satanic Temple is pretty awesome. They have a history of showing up any time Christians try to force their religion on others and putting a stop to it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 08:24PM

This is probably the only way for Christians to see what religious freedom really is. I find it amusing that they don't like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 08:25PM by donbagley.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 12:55AM

More power to them. I don't know anything about the satanic temple, but the Church of Satan, the one Anton Levay Started, is misunderstood and probably one of the few churches created in the past 200 years that doesn't exist to scam you out & out and take your last cent. *cough* mormonism *cough* scientology *cough*.

Nasty cold I got there.

It just has an unforunate name, what with satan being in the title.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 03:54PM

That it will be the end of all clubs again circa 1996 if they start after school clubs. Except in 96, it was a GLBT Alliance that caused the kerfluffle. I think the only clubs allowed after that were the HSS and athletic, because banning those would be *too* nuts. But Don has it right, the fundies need a good dose of what religious freedom really means.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 03:57PM

Why don't they just call it a Logic or Science club? They just want to stir the pot. I think it's shitty when people stir the pot just to "prove a point" about religion being in schools. Sorry, but lots of people still believe in God.

Date: August 05, 2016 04:16PM

I work for a school district and I don't see that religion is part of education, other than saying "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. But the individuals who attend school (the students) may be religious and the teachers / staff may be, too. I think that's what pisses some people off. They don't want anyone to be religious or spiritual at all.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 04:21PM

I don't think they are against religion -- just the preference of one religious faith over another. So, if evangelicals want to have school sponsored activities then the Satanists or Pastafarians can too. What is wrong with the state being neutral when it comes to religion -- it doesn't favour it but doesn't disfavour it either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 04:23PM by anybody.

Date: August 05, 2016 04:25PM

Which school sponsored evangelical activities are you referring to?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 04:31PM

https://www.cefonline.com/

"The Satanic Temple contacted nine public school districts across the country this week seeking to start after-school Satan programs. In all but one district, religious clubs are operated by the Child Evangelism Fellowship Good News Clubs, in which students can study the Bible and pray."

"In Utah, the Granite school district said that if the group meets set requirements, including paying rent, there will be nothing the district can do to stop it. District spokesman Ben Horsley said the group would not be able to put up fliers in schools or talk to students during school hours, the same arrangement given to the Good News Club."

Then there's the Mormon school situation:
http://dailyutahchronicle.com/2013/02/14/lds-seminary-breaches-constitution/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 04:34PM by anybody.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 04:37PM

It may not be happening in your school, which is good.

But in other schools, there are many examples of school boards, principals and teachers inserting their beliefs into education. Some examples include Principal's leading prays at the flag, coaches using peer pressure to enforce prayers before games, evangelical school groups, created not by students, but teachers or even local priests, Bible give-aways, etc. There is a long list of cases where religion gets inserted into school life, it doesn't belong there, certainly not at a public school.

The point that these "pot stirrers" is to reinforce this. It proves the point that if you're going to open the door to religion in a public school, then you have to let them all in, because to do otherwise shows that the school, a public state run school, favors one religion over another, it can't do that. It's better to leave all religions out of school.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 05:03PM

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 04:45PM

Isn't it interesting how many christians will call groups like this "pot stirrers" when they point out christian abuses of putting religion in public schools, but if a Muslim group (or like one local case here, a Yoga class, which the local christians called "non-christian religion") wants to do something in public schools, suddenly they're all for keeping religion out of schools.
Or at least the religion they don't like.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 07:17PM

They are always playing the giddy goat! ;o))

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.