Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 05:55PM

I liked "the pond chamber."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 06:53PM

Yes, funny! "They led me down the 'green mile' into the 'pond chamber.'"

I also like how he said it was as if the Mormons' "piss taking radar" was not working so that they had no clue it was all a deception. His insincerity was so palpably obvious that anyone with normal social skills should have picked it up. (And of course their "power of discernment" was clearly not functioning either.)

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 05:58PM

That's hilarious and on point.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 06:02PM

This was well done. Thanks for finding it

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 07:35PM

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 06:10PM

very funny

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 06:21PM

"...you can't have a wank..."

That's a deal breaker right there.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 07:20PM

They wouldn't care. They have his name on their records, he is not a free man, he is just a number!

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 07:26PM

The Prisoner: so much in common with the LDS church and it's own Village residents, errr, I mean 'members'.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 07:20PM

IN B 4:
It's really rude for him to take advantage of these poor kids.

These kids don't know any better.

People should be nice to missionaries; they're just doing what they think is right.

This is in poor taste.

Did I miss any?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 08:31PM

resipsaloquitur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IN B 4:
> It's really rude for him to take advantage of
> these poor kids.
>
> These kids don't know any better.
>
> People should be nice to missionaries; they're
> just doing what they think is right.
>
> This is in poor taste.
>
> ...
>
> Did I miss any?

how about, "This will surely come back to haunt him! Because ghawd will not be mocked!!"

Date: August 08, 2016 08:35PM

Suppose everyone got baptized. There would not be enough "active" members to enforce attendence, tithing, etc and their efforts would slowly grind to a halt.

Then a subset of "active" members - the elite - would have to have their own meetings.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 08:01AM

Starting at about 1:49 in this "followup video"

**********BEGIN QUOTE**********

"Something happened after my baptism that I wish I could go
back and change. I was still dripping from the pond water when
a group of Mormons brought a young woman over to me. She was
on the fence about joining the Church, so they brought her over
to me to try and cement the deal. They said to me, "tell her,
Danny, about the power of the Holy Ghost that you just
experienced."

And I was thinking, "I just got dipped in a pond, mate--
literally just got dipped a bit in a pond." And that's what I
should have said, and that's what I wish I'd said, but that
would have blown my cover. And as six pairs of expectant eyes
just stared at me, I said something that still haunts me to
this day. I said, "yep, yep, that was some serious Holy Ghost
action kicking off right there, definitely wasn't me just
dipping my head in a pond, no. Definitely wasn't that--
definitely the Holy Ghost." That was it. I contributed to
some poor girl leading a life of complete and utter bullshit.
Sometimes when I close my eyes I still see here naive little
believing face listening to me as I'm telling here the Church
is true. That's why I feel bad.

**********END QUOTE**********

I'm sure that's something that we all experienced. Being put
on the spot about our "testimony" in front of others. This is
peer pressure at its strongest. If Mormons know anything, they
know how to be psychologically manipulative.

Posted by: arend ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 06:58AM

Funny guy. Reminds me of Harry Enfield.

He thought what he had learnt in the missionary discussions was bat shit crazy cult stuff.

If only he had been able to take it all the way through to getting his endowments. His description of that would have been absolutely hilarious!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 07:35AM

That was hilarious. The second video had me practically rolling on the floor.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 08:19AM

I can't bring myself to watch it. I just think it's wrong to be deceptive in that way. If he showed other people's faces, which I hope he didn't, that would be especially wrong, in my view. It's a terrible breach of trust. And then to actually LIE to that girl at a critical and decisive moment in HER life, just so he wouldn't be CAUGHT in his deception . . . . no, just no.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 09:06AM

Oh ya! I missed a couple! Deceptive! Breach of trust! Good ones!

Posted by: Dannyhyde ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 09:38AM

Please watch the video before forming an opinion as I explain why I did it. I did struggle with the moral implications along the way but In the end I decided that the church is far more deceitful and dishonest to people on a massive scale than one man getting baptised undercover. Also I covered the missionaries faces in the video so they couldn't be seen. And yes not telling the girl the truth does make me feel bad and I wish I could change that. However someone sent me a message stating that he thinks she was pretending to be on the fence to further cement my belief that the church is true. He says this is common practice. Also it was not me who went to her house and tricked her to even being on the fence in the first place. That was the Mormon church. I fully understand what I did is wrong to an extent and I do not lie in my actual life, but it was the lies of the church that drove me on in order to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Posted by: 4real ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 10:38AM

Seriously? of course someone was going to have to be offended be something like this. Those poor poor missionaries whose trust was scoop violated, how awful.

Those missionaries went to his house to stuff THEIR religion down his throat. He didn't go out looking for them, he didnt show their faces, although he was under no obligation to cover them.

If missionaries don't want to be clowned every now and then they need to stop being such tools.

Posted by: dannyhyde ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 01:12PM

Thanks mate, and I I agree. Sometimes you can't wrap people being so silly in cotton wool. They are spreading this silliness door to door and we can't have a little joke? Maybe a little bit of a wind up might be enough to make them look in the mirror and wake up... I doubt it but I hope so for their sake

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 10:20AM

Danny, thanks for posting here.
Having been raised in the cult, and experienced its lies, control, and sales tactics first hand (yeah, I did a mission, I was one of those kids who were so happy and clueless when you agreed to be baptized), I have zero problem with what you did. It shows the cult for what it is.

Any chance you can find that girl, and let her know what was really going on? If that was possible, and it kept her from getting sucked into the cult, that would be icing on the cake.

I loved the video. It'll do a world of good, and it's funny as hell. Thanks for doing it.

Date: August 09, 2016 01:17PM

My baptism was over three years ago and I have since moved away so she would either have joined or not already by now. I hope she saw the light, but they seemed to be surrounding her and really trying to make her convert. I feel bad but at the end of the day, it was the church who went out of their way to brainwash her, not me, I still feel bad for not speaking the truth there and then. People make mistakes and that was one of mine, but hopefully if she is still in the church, she may see my video and realise what she has got herself into.
I'm glad you enjoyed my story and thanks for watching

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 11:10AM

watched the video and if he said to the girl exactly what he said on the video and how he said it, I reckon she would recognise sarcasm when she heard it. Unless she was an immigrant, of course. Then, him never showing up at church again would make it blatantly obvious.

Danny, don't worry too much about it - the missionaries probably told her she would 'feel the spirit' at the baptism and she didn't. If she didn't recognise the sarcasm at the time, it will come back to her sometime that you were, indeed, being sarcastic. Most new 'converts', like yourself, never hang around after the dunking - if it even gets that far.

Date: August 09, 2016 01:18PM

I hope she could tell I was being sarcastic, but I fear the worst... I may never know.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 02:11PM

dannyhyde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope she could tell I was being sarcastic, but I
> fear the worst... I may never know.

Do not lose any sleep over this! If you weren't there, they'd have shoved someone else in her face. The good you've done here far outweighs the "bad." And things like that have a way of working out anyway. As others have noted, most never come back. She won't be feeling anything genuine, and will only stick around if she needs the social contact, and all those good vibes will die out quickly too, once she's converted and the love bombing stops.

Posted by: danny hyde ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 03:12PM

Ok thanks, that made me feel better about it to be honest. nice1

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 08:19PM

Glad I could help ease your conscience! Your videos rock. Showed the first and follow up to my wife and daughters and they were busting a gut laughing. You have a clever way of communicating the issues while keeping it light hearted. I hope they do a lot of good and dissuade a lot of potential converts.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 11:21AM

Danny,
Unbelievably funny! I have three nephews who are all return missionaries. I love them dearly, but can't believe how brainwashed they are when they come home. They are so desperate to baptize people. In six years of total service they cumulatively baptized one person who was a recent immigrant from Africa. I'm sure they saw you as a "golden contact" who actually had a job, wasn't batshit crazy and who was "white and delightsome." I hope and pray many Mormon youth see your video posts and come to realize they've been raised in a cult.
Amen.

Posted by: Danny Hyde ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 01:20PM

If my story helps just one person from avoiding a life in the church, I feel like I have achieved something. Please share with anyone you think may benefit. Thanks and have a great day!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 01:40PM

You were a Golden faux pas convert. Too funny. Like Monty Python in real life.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 01:23PM

I'll see your one accidental baptism and raise it two premeditated skeptics.

http://ohnopodcast.com/investigations/2011/7/8/ross-and-carrie-go-mormon-part-1-and-it-came-to-pass.html

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 01:37PM

Pork(y) pies=Lies.

Date: August 09, 2016 07:53PM

Music that makes you feel good, is in fact real. This Holy Ghost m* f* you keep going on about is not. The church makes people think things are bad, when they are in fact good. It is the church that is bad and it poisons peoples' minds.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 08:51PM

Thank you so much for posting that video Danny Hyde. Mormons are notorious for saying those that leave the church can't leave it alone. They get so angry and say you should just shut up, but it's a freaking cult! They are no different than the weirdness of Scientology.

You summarized in your first video perfectly what you figured in 3 months that took me 30 years to realize was a crock of shit. You are correct! It's the immersion. Callings, meetings, temple attendance,..... The list goes on and on.

I truly hope they don't find you again because they are notorious for trying to get the "lost sheep" back in the fold. Yet it's okay for them to not leave us alone!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.