Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 07:19PM

I read this board every other day. I post sometimes each week and sometimes not. What is interesting is what leads to numerous threads (30-45) and what doesn't (1-2 posts). I sometimes post on this board to vent and to express my feelings. What I think is boring to people gets responses from 30 people and what is interesting to me gets responses from a big O. I don't know and what is and isn't a big deal to me. But, what in the hell matters to people and what causes you to reply? Some of the Donald Trump type stuff leads to big replies, some more sophisticated things are not touched, and some of the most ridiculous things are a huge deal. I could post dozens of things (although I don't). Just curious.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2016 08:06PM by sam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 07:26PM

"But, what in the hell matters to people and what causes you to reply?"

I reply to comments where I can either teach somebody something about Mormonism that they didn't already know, or either to crack a corny joke.

Posted by: Balard123 not logged in ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 08:23PM

always like your joke RandyJ

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 08:43PM

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 07:34PM

Sometimes I post if I think I can add an experience, perspective, or support. Sometimes I don't because I just don't have the energy. Sometimes I write a long response, then change my mind and delete it.

I used to read every thread right through, now I just read any that sounds interesting (to me). Everyone is different.

Often I have nothing to add/offer. US domestic politics/events, things going on in places in Utah I've never heard of, experiences of loss and divorce, growing up in with TBM extended family, living in the morridor. These are things I know nothing about and even though these threads are interesting I have nothing to give really. I do enjoy reading them though and have learned so much.

So just throw the line out, if you don't get any bites it doesn't matter:)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 07:37PM

I post to keep you all away from me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 07:51PM

And yet here we are, Old Dog, turning up like bad pennies. lol I'm so glad that you are on this board. You add a certain sumpin'.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 07:50PM

Same here. I can't predict which posts will take off and which will sink like a stone. It's a mystery! :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 07:55PM

It's unpredictable, all right.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 08:40PM

Different people, different tastes I guess. The only thing

that we all agree on is how much we hate the church and how

its caused us all problems in our lives. Everyone can relate

to that.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 08:40PM

Some of it is unpredictable, some isn't.
Post something either pro-atheist or pro-christian, and it's gonna fill up.
Post something making fun of a GA, and it'll fill up.

The rest...who knows?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 08:57PM

I recall someone who went by the name Thred killer. They got pissed because their comment was often the last comment on the three. Raked everyone over the coals for it and left. ok.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 09:19PM

Sometimes I post to stimulate conversation. Many times this has resulted in being blasted. I haven't the faintest idea what will or will not draw interest so I just post what comes to mind an hope for the best.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 09:32PM

I hate it when the same person posts multiple comments that essentially say the same thing, with only a word or two changed.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 08:55PM

Hahahahaha! It was funny, and probably whomever removed the second version didn't 'get' it....

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 05:37AM

A post might receive no replies one day and many a week later. Try not to count replies and think it means much as it might or might not.

I only post about subjects that interest me which aren't the ones other posters always care about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 05:38AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 06:23AM

I've noticed that some people may have left Mormonism but still have closed minds. They are unwilling to challenge other social attitudes and beliefs inculcated by years of living inside the retro 1950s world behind the Zion Curtain.

Posted by: Quitter ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 07:57AM

I posted for years on this site, and was very enthusiastic. And I owed the RFM board a lot. But the bulk of my posts, no matter how sincere and on point, were treated harshly by a number of small and insecure people. I figured my own personal feelings and baring of my soul were better than that, so I largely quit. The last thing I needed at that point was a continuation of the myopia I found in Mormonism.

Of course, after a few years, I had said most of what I needed to say, anyway, and had reduced most of my comments to smart-ass remarks. And so many of the people I connected with here had moved on, too, so I am largely unfamiliar with the new crop of ex-Mormons and dissidents here on the board. I guess that's how it is. You love some of your neighbors, but they move away to Dallas because that's where the jobs are. And you're stuck in Utah with new, chirpy Mormons moving in next door. I understand. But I don't like it.

Posted by: logged out this morning ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 10:34AM

If you want a lot of responses, there are a few sure-fire topics.

- Atheism (Dawkins is great! No he's not!)
- The historical Jesus
- Near-death experiences
- Male circumcision

The ultimate thread topic, I guess, would be something along the lines of "What would happen if an atheist had a near-death experience and saw the historical Jesus while getting circumcised by Richard Dawkins?"

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 10:49AM

:)

Posted by: thump ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 08:01PM

logged out this morning Wrote:
------------------------------------ "What would happen if
> an atheist had a near-death experience and saw the
> historical Jesus while getting circumcised by
> Richard Dawkins?"

Oh, come on, now. We all know that atheists only circumcise bologna, not each other.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 12:15PM

I completely agree with the above post that circumcision, atheism, the historical Jesus and near-death experiences seem to be topic winners. Although those are the posts I never read.

A few other observations:

-Threads asking for advice usually do well. I guess we are fairly opinionated on how others should live.

-Threads asking for personal experiences usually do well. We like to talk about ourselves.

-Mention sex somehow in a thread and it may enjoy a long life.

-A topic starter that is very long or difficult to read because the OP forgot to use the enter key usually sink fairly quickly. RFMers generally like to read posts that cut to the chase and don't want to navigate a wall of text.

-Threads where you have to click on a link to get the gist of the post might not do as well as threads without links.

I mostly read threads where others share personal experiences. I rarely start threads because they usually sink like a lead balloon, but I respond to posts usually to purge my brain of Mormonism for awhile. I doubt many read what I write, but it doesn't matter. Posting in and of itself can be therapy even if no one reads it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 05:53PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 12:35PM

I think I hold the record for number of deleted threads.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 01:14PM

I'd say that Benson holds that record Dave.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 03:37PM

I like to post if a thread is knew. But folks on the board seem to post to simple wise cracks, not sophisticated topics. Also people are more interested in what a dead Boyd Packer had to say than what they are saying now. Many posters are still in the 1900's. Also lgbtq issues get a lot of air time. And there seems to be an algorithm that keeps favorite topics of Admins at the top a little longer than other posts.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 07:08PM

What are Admin's favourite topics, poopstone?

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 05:16PM

Evidenced by the fact we care if our threads sink or swim:)

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 06:48PM

Threads involving the Alcoholics Anonymous religion often are lively.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 07:19PM

want2bx said: "I doubt many read what I write, but it doesn't matter. Posting in and of itself can be therapy even if no one reads it."

I think my threads have averaged 2 replies each over the past decade+ I've been writing them!

But I persist. I agree with what you wrote about writing out our experiences, thoughts and feelings being "therapy". To me, any replies are a bonus, although of course always anticipated and welcome and sometimes even really wanted and necessary to help resolve something.

I agree that "help me" threads usually get a lot of attention and RfMers are great at supporting others that way. I used to try and post to all those threads but that was back before there were so many, many new threads a day, when I had more energy and thought I knew something. It is SO true that the older you live the less confident you are that you know all the answers (or you come to realize that, indeed, you do not) so mostly I try to keep my opinions to myself now. I certainly never thought I knew how someone else should live. And still do not.

What is heartening for all of us who never hoped to fill up a thread, and who now know for sure it's a long shot since Admin just doubled the cut-off point (if I can't get 30, no chance for 60!) is Eric's post the other day that said he can tell that most posts get thousands of reads, if not replies. Who knows who is getting something out of what we write without necessarily responding so we can see their interest.

So we can say World, here we are, and not worry too much about resounding silence, plummeting OPs, or comparisons to others whose threads always fill up. Writing *is* therapeutic and in that way, by continuing to post, we are our own best motivators and analysts, which I think is healthy and helpful.

We likely don't judge other posters by numbers of replies to their every word so maybe we can do ourselves a favour and go easy on ourselves in that regard. Just carry on with the writing "therapy" and trust that our words are sending out good vibes to the universe which will come back on us in helpful ways.

Or something like that.

But carry on. I hope everybody feels welcome to write posts whenever they want, about whatever they want (within board guidelines) and that it helps them and all those who read their words.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 08:24PM

To steal a line from Birdman, popularity is the slutty little cousin of prestige.

Besides, in cyberspace posts don't go away. It's like a journal that everyone can read and doesn't get lost.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.