Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 04:39PM

There are polygamous groups throughout the state, top to bottom. I grew up in the northern part of the state and the group my parents supported had members from Weber to Ogden, Roy, Bountiful, Kaysville and other towns.

The Allreds had regular meetings in Murray. The Kingstons are huge and have many who live in a compound in the Ogden area. Other groups are scattered in every county in Utah. FLDS has compounds in Colorado City and Hildale, but they are simply the most well known group and not singular or special in any way.

There are also polygamists in Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, California, and of course Texas.

Many "normal" mormon wards have polygamists who participate in ward meetings and activities and keep their plural wives secret. This is the case with many of my brother's grown kids. Most of them are polygamists and most of them also attend regular wards and know others who do the same.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 05:56PM

I don't want to sound like I'm doubting you, because I'm definitely not, but I'm curious how they can keep wives secret in a ward. Isn't everybody all in everybody else's business? Do the different wives attend the same ward?

Date: August 11, 2016 06:01PM

They keep quiet about it. Most polygamists do not all live in the same household. Wives are in different locations far removed from each other.

I was taught to lie. We told fake stories about why we had trailers tucked here and there among the out buildings on our farm, but mostly no one noticed or mentioned them.

My family attended the local ward. The trailer wives only went to polygamist-fundie meetings. Locals never saw or interacted with them.

Mormons lie every time they get a temple recommend and whenever they claim they have a perfect family or love all of their mormon wardmembers. Mormons are very good at lying and at the same time, they are very gullible and believe many lies others tell them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 09:37PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 02:21PM

First, some definitions.

Word of The Lord = whatever a lds church leader with stewardship over you says

Spirit = what you need to discern accurately what is fact vs? what isn't, including lies.

Have the spirit - if you obey the word of The Lord you have the Spirit, if not then you do not

Truth - the word of The Lord

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 06:08PM

That's true, as long as they keep Section 132 in the D&C, polygamist groups are going to be around. The show Escaping Polygamy even showed a FLDS compound in South Dakota that was more like a prison than a community because it had several guard towers.

There's also a loophole in the mainstream Mormon church that makes it possible for polygamy to be practiced. For a man to be "sealed" to a second wife, he only needs a secular, legal divorce from the first wife, but he doesn't have to get that "sealing" cancelled. Nobody checks to see that a divorced couple is really living far apart and living completely separate lives before allowing a second "sealing" so a polygamist could be "sealed" to at least 2 women, but appear to have at least one legal divorce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 06:08PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 06:12PM

Odds are there some here in Idaho as well. They just keep it to themselves.

Date: August 11, 2016 06:18PM

Most polygamists do keep to themselves because it's easier than dealing with the fallout.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 06:36PM

The Plyg corridor runs from southern Canada, down through Idaho, Utah, Arizona and into Mexico (where the Romney clan used to live).

Date: August 11, 2016 06:59PM

Into N. and S. Dekota and a few in Colorado and Nevada. I know some were arrested in Sacramento about ten years ago and they had connections in the Placerville area. They were arrested for torture, slavery and abuse, not for polygamy.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 07:49PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 06:43PM

Do they support themselves, or are they technically "not married" so they legally get a gov't check? I know the "big" case of FLDS welfare fraud, but there are probably many other smaller ones.

Multiple wives on the down low.

Because gawd.

Geez...

Date: August 11, 2016 08:12PM

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 10:08AM

A big case in San Diego about 30 years ago or so with polygamous welfare cheats getting money for 19 kids under multiple names.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 06:47PM

We have them in Mancos, CO and AZ near the western border of NM.

Mancos was one of the spots Jeffs purchased to hide out in or to send people on repentance missions. The women on Escaping Polygamy detail this.

I mentioned it before, but BF worked with the AZ/NM polygs that snagged a sub-contract on the Navajo Pipeline project a couple of years ago.

I would not be surprised to find them all over the Corners area and NM because it's sparsely populated in quite a bit of the state.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 10:38PM

When the welfare system became a common means of support for the poor...plyg leaders taught that it was inspired by gawd to aid his chosen people the plygs in bringing dozens more kids into the world than they could ethically support...take winky blackmore...PLEASE!...kidding...imagine one joker supporting 130 odd kids and 25 odd wimmin...id guess 8-10 k a month for groceries and utilities and clothing...another common way is to fleece the flock which he did quite successfully for many years by paying them a pittance yet on paper a regular wage while he kept the difference...of course ten years of sacrifice was sposed to net devotees a house which never materialized...that speaking as a man shit goes way back...so does screwing folks over...gawd just favors some more than others...another true doctrine of the mormon con

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 11:04PM

DW best friend in High School turned to Polygamy. Her parents were big on the John Bercher / Cleon Skousen stuff. She herself was over weight and rather socially retarded. Never dated or had friends (other than DW) She had two aunts who were plural wives and were pushing the polygamy doctrine pretty hard. Finally, her dad said that he thought it was important to investigate the doctrine of polygamy and the whole family dove into it.

At the end of DW senior year (and her BF senior year) the girl was convinced that polygamy was the way to go. When DW and I were getting married, DW wanted her best friend to be 'maid of honor' and the BF was really excited to be able to through the temple with us.

Even though I was extremely TBM, that was too much for me. I knew of her leanings and affiliations and had drawn a firm boundary in regards to Polygamy. I said NO. She was crushed. DW, being the good Molly Mo that she was, went with the stand of what I, the priesthood bearing bastard declared and didn't side with her BF. It was a very uncomfortable situation for all of us to be in.

Fast forward. DW best friend joined the Allred group and became the fifth wife of the leader's brother. She had a grundle of kids and when he died and so she was assigned to another man up in the Wyoming/Montana area. That was the first time I really had a brush with polygamy and though I tried to reason with the gal, she was too brain washed and set on the course of "Celestial Marriage".

Five years later, I was done with Mormonism and 10 years later so was DW..Since then, I have become friends, through business dealings, with some of the folks (the apostates) in Colorado City/ Hildale area . It's kind of weird to watch them struggle to find themselves and build identities outside of what they were brain washed into believing. Then I reflect on my own journey and realize, my journey has been rather weird too.

Date: August 12, 2016 05:07AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 10:15PM

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 01:33AM

Oh trust me, I know. We lived in the Orem and SLC area for 4 years. During that time, we went to college and my husband worked as an apprentice plumber. The company was owned by a polygamist, and we heard it through the grapevine.

Also, he worked for a large construction company, and several in upper management were polygamists, living among and blending in with your 'average' Mormons in communities and wards. I think some of them hold their own Sunday services.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 03:38AM

In the city or the villages?
Cl2? Villager?

Date: August 12, 2016 05:09AM

Perhaps someone else knows and will share?

Posted by: Floridian ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 09:59AM

And Missouri. A former missionary companion has a compound or two there as well.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 12:53PM

There are a bunch of them in Bluffdale (Apostolic United Brethren). That group does not attend LDS wards though. They dress like Mennonites, have their own building by point of the mountain... Wikipedia says they have 7-10k members, mostly in Mexico and Utah.

Date: August 12, 2016 12:59PM

The Apostolic group is made up of the Allreds. My brother married an Allred and my family hid out an Allred wife and her kids when Operation Seagull was going on in the 1950s when law enforcement was tapping phones, following polygamists, and doing raids.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 09:09PM

I have seen polygamist wives with their children twice (full prairie dresses - the whole nine yards) over the past 3-4 years at the grocery store o the Mesa/Gilbert border. In broad daylight

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 05:27AM

There are weird-looking houses all over the eastern part of Salt Lake City that have housed polygamist families. Some of them still do. You can tell because the homes obviously have odd add-ons that don't match the obvious original part of the house in any logical way.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 02:28PM

This thread wouldn't be complete without mentioning professional sociopath, Winston Blackmore. I'm guessing he had to move to a remote area of BC because even his Alberta Mormon relatives can't stand him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.