Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 01:07AM

I'm almost through season 3. This series takes place 100 years before Kirk. Rumor has it the new series next year is a decade before Kirk.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0244365/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Enterprise

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 01:43AM

Peaky Blinders...a gangster family runs various illegal and dangerous schemes in post WW1 Birmingham, England, loosely based upon real Peaky Blinders of that time, supposedly named thus because they'd sew razor blades along the peak of their flat caps which they'd use to lash out at an opponent's face.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 10:12AM

No time for binge-watching right now. Tons of work, family visiting from out of town, school about to start. Sigh.

By the way, I'm glad a new Star Trek series is coming. Even a mediocre Star Trek series (DS9?) is better than most of the rest of the garbage on TV :)

Posted by: goodlyexmormon ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 11:54AM

DS9 was great. Voyager a was very mediocre Star Trek series. I'd say the only bad series was Enterprise (sorry OP)

Posted by: goodlyexmormon ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 11:55AM

I've been watching Bojack Horseman. Great Netflix show about an asshole.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 02:18PM

Date: August 19, 2016 03:44PM

What's wrong with it? It was supposed to be a prequel series before the Federation was created. Or was it the whole Xindi plot of season 3? Or the subplot with Data's creator?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 05:14PM

My problem with Enterprise was it is not a prequel to the original series.

It is how things played out after Picard and his group went into the past and changed things.

As someone that watched the original star trek in the 60s where you were taught a specific history and then seeing that history thrown out, made it hard to watch the first time around.

That last season was the best. My favorite is the two part mirror universe episodes.

Now if the church would redo all the old movies and make them historically accurate that would be worth watching.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 02:02AM

Fans of a series always hate it when writers make mistakes regarding the "book" (the backstory.) Of the fans know the internal history of the show better than the writers do!

I liked all of the Star Trek series except for DS9 which never appealed to me.

Date: August 20, 2016 02:49AM

I feel the same way towards the new "Doctor Who". They basically did the same thing. And I grew up on the "classic" "Doctor Who" as well..Well from Jon Pertwee to McCoy.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 10:29AM

CNN. Free Movies On Demand. Though isn't exactly binge watching.

When I turn off CNN it's usually because the newscasters in the room are yelling at each other, so I yell back, and off goes the TV.

;-)

I like documentaries; history channel, stuff like that. :)

Some science programs I find interesting. Health news, etc. The Jewish Learning Channel is so so. Kind of a waste of money but occasionally there's a good program that airs on it. It likes the oldies too, like Jack Benny and Dinah Shore kind of oldies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2016 10:30AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 10:55AM

Over the past year I have binge watched Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek DS9 and Star Trek Enterprise... TNG is on BBC America Marathons every Friday.

I watched them all when they came out in the 1990s and early 2000s. I like Voyager and DS9 story lines being a little darker, TNG was very utopian, but still love the show.

Patrick Stewart is a great actor. I love him in American Dad. I also like the Star Trek Cameos in Family Guy

Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 10:56AM

I also just bing watched Farscape... Great show I didnt watch when it first came out. I like the Australian cast. The main character /actor is American but most others are Australian

Date: August 20, 2016 02:53AM

BBC America really needs to branch out their Star Trek! I've seen every episode. Of. The next. Generation and would love it if they would shoe DS9 or even Vogager for a change!

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 10:58AM

If I live through budget I plan to take some time off work and binge watch Downton Abbey. I have seen it all, but not without the long breaks between seasons.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 11:59AM

Glad you are enjoying it, but *my opinion* (for what it's worth) is that 'Enterprise' was not a good example of the star trek stable.

I am currently binge listening to podcasts - Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast - RHLSTP (rhlstp) - where he interviews other comedians

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 12:03PM

Last Saturday LS and I sat spellbound, watching the 8 episodes of "Stranger Things".

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 02:16PM

Yes it was wonderful.... also he got netflex a while ago and

now I'm binge watching Orange is the New Black.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 12:09PM

Bowie videos. For months now. I'm not ready to stop any time soon either.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 02:47PM

I too am watching Star Trek Enterprise. I never watched it when it was on, so catching up on that.

Also, all seasons of the X-Files. I'm on season 9, which I never saw before. It's fun.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 03:34PM

Actually, my husband and I are binge-watching it slowly (1-2 episodes a week) after my inlaws got it for us for Christmas 2015; however, we will probably finish all six seasons by this Christmas, so I guess that counts.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 03:38PM

I discovered Star Trek: Enterprise on Netflix a few years ago, and I thought it was the best Trek series since the original, though tragically cut short. I have read all the Enterprise novels since then, hoping to get some closure on the characters, but they don't go in a direction I would have liked.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 03:41PM

"Shameless". It's the extreme antithesis of the ideal Mormon family, although in some ways they're more functional!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 05:26PM

Gilmore Girls
Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 05:37PM

Never watched them when they were on TV originally. In those days I didn't have time for TV. Now I watch constantly repeated Law & Order episodes. They are so old it's amazing how dated the early ones are but I still like them. I'm also watching repeats of Bones and CSI. Where have I been the last decade?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 06:24PM

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 11:30PM

Law and Order, especially SVU

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 11:48PM

Just finishing Babylon 5

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 11:52PM

Right now, the Olympics. ;)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 01:24AM

I like that show. I sometimes PVR 5 or 6 Star Trek Voyageur episodes and then binge what them. I saw episode on of the original Star Trek in my dorm at Ricks in Sept. of 66 and every eprisode of that series and every spinoff since.

RB

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 02:05AM

I've been watching a British detective series called "Old Tricks." It's about a bunch of retired detectives who work on the cold case squad. WETA UK carries one new show each day, at 1 P.M.

BBC America shows ST:TNG regularly.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 08:46AM

We LOVE Old Tricks, plus all the other Brit shows we get up here.

RB

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 06:56PM

Errrm, isn't the show actually called "New Tricks" (at least it was/is here ... they may have retitled it for the American market).

Well, at least it makes a change from Benny Hill and Are You Being Served for folks Stateside :-)

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 07:00PM

Well worth a watch is the 60s cult classic 'The Prisoner'.

The parallels between The Village and the LDS church are alarming at times.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 10:03AM

"Stranger Things" and "Doctor Who," while I get ready for the upcoming school term.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 10:18AM

Bosch- Amazon's own programming.
The Man in the High Castle- Amazon's own programming.
The Americans- FX's own programming.
Turn- A/E or AMC
Better Call Saul- A/E or AMC

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 10:54PM

The Americans is some of the best TV I've seen in a long time. Can't wait for the next season.

In the meantime, been watching Hell on Wheels. A story built around a bit older form of transport than Star Trek.

Posted by: Little Guy ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 10:42AM

I'll be binging on my DVD set with all episodes of Land of the Giants soon.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 12:33PM

Hell on Wheels
Narco
Orange is New Black
Bloodline
Law and Order

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 12:48PM

The guy who played Chakotay on 'Voyager' has been a friend of mine for years, and I never had the guts to tell him that 'Voyager' sucked, but when 'ST: Enterprise' came along it sucked worse, so that took some pressure off...

I did perk up, however, when the alternative nazi timeline came in; most people hated it but I thought "A war movie/Star Trek mash-up? Cool!"

However, however, I did kind of like the "time cops" in 'Voyager'.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 06:58PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2016 06:58PM by anybody.

Posted by: Floridian ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 04:31PM

Lost Girl on NetFlix. Just finished season 2.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 06:15PM

An Honourable Woman
Doc Martin
Early Endeavour episodes

I cut the cord 3 years ago and have just finally run through everything on Netflix and Amazon Prime that I want to see, and I watch a LOT of TV.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 04:43PM

I'm watching the X-Files straight through on Netflix, but I'm almost done.

I actually thought Enterprise was better when I watched the entirety online. I never got into it when it was on TV.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 04:50PM

And then binge out. Currently wrapping up "House."

I really hate House -- but my wife likes it so I've endured to the end. I hope House gets what he deserves in the end -- homeless without a job and no friends (especially Wilson)!!!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 05:16PM

Recently:

Grace and Frankie (best thing on Netflix)
Orange is the New Black (new season)
Poldark (repeating Season 1 in anticipation of Season 2)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 05:28PM

Doc Martin
Bones
Hell on Wheels

Date: August 23, 2016 05:49PM

I finished "Enterprise" last night.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: August 23, 2016 10:47PM

Narcos. Binge watch season 1 NOW! Season 2 starts in September.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: August 24, 2016 01:16PM

Thanks for reminding me about the Trek series on Netflix. I'll start a binge watchin'. Love Trek

Reminds me of an old thread where we talked about how so many of the Trek episodes had parallels to the Church, My best example is from the original Trek 'For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky' episode which was about an entire civilization that was 'deceived' by the creators into thinking they lived on a planet but one day an old man climbed the forbidden mountain and touched the sky and realized he was not on a planet by inside some sort of ship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 01:20PM by MormonThinker.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.