Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 12:14AM

"We get our truth and our light line upon line and precept upon precept. We have now had added a new flood of intelligence and light on this particular subject, and it erases all the darkness and all the views and all the thoughts of the past. They don’t matter any more.

"It doesn’t make a particle of difference what anybody ever said about the Negro matter before the first day of June of this year, 1978. It is a new day and a new arrangement, and the Lord has now given the revelation that sheds light out into the world on this subject. As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them. We now do what meridian Israel did when the Lord said the gospel should go to the Gentiles. We forget all the statements that limited the gospel to the house of Israel, and we start going to the Gentiles."

(Mormon Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, "All Are Alike Unto God," address at Church Education System Symposium, 18 August 1978, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, in "BYU Speeches of the Year," text available on official website on the Church of Jesus CHrist of Latter-day Saints, https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/bruce-r-mcconkie_alike-unto-god-2/)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 12:16AM

Can we forget about tithing? Bet not.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 12:45AM

This post is way to short to have been written by Steve Benson.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 12:56AM

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 11:45PM

I remember that day that Bro McConkie was speaking about and I had the feeling of the spirit's confirmation of the truthfulness of this revelation. I was the ward's Seventies group leader and I just knew that there would be a flood of our black brothers and sisters breaking down the doors of the Church to join up. Dah, I wonder what that feeling really was?

Posted by: ehemaliger ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 12:55AM

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 01:25AM

He also said that we, the lowly members, needed to repent if we brought up what he and others said in the past. I was pretty mad about that. I always knew they were wrong about it. I felt like i was more inspired than he was. He needed to repent, not I!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2016 01:45PM by liesarenotuseful.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 01:55AM

..."It is a new day and a new arrangement..."
What a bunch of BS they expect the membership to eat.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 04:36AM

Of course they have to dump the old prophets. They were bigots. The church has a tax exempt status they have to protect.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 05:57AM

We'll, I listened to BRM! I threw the past prophets overboard. Not just them, but the current ones as well.
That's why I'm here! ;-)

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 07:13AM

The Watchtower claims the light of the Bible grows brighter every year. That is their reasoning for their ever changing doctrines. Cults are all similar.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 10:23AM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "It doesn’t make a particle of difference what
> anybody ever said about the Negro matter before
> the first day of June of this year, 1978."

In that part, he wasn't telling mormons to throw their past prophets overboard -- he was telling them to throw HIM overboard. He having been one of the biggest promoters of anti-"negro" church bullshit.

How do mormons continue to support asshats like McConkie after he tells them directly to ignore everything he's ever said because it was wrong? Current "apostles" have done much the same. Yet they still treat them as if every word out of their mouths comes direct from imaginary Elohim.
Ugh.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 01:39PM

I believe I could learn to love the leaner meaner Steve B style.

:o)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 02:11PM

Notice that non of the ass wipes changed their shallow and hate filled minds about the Gay and Lesbian members.

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 02:18PM

There are profound organizational problems with this system.

It becomes a giant game of putting out fires as new scientific evidence arises, such as DNA. It also is problematic with society changes, such as American society's viewpoint change of the LGBT community, particularly regarding same sex marriage and adoption.

For example, LDS Inc goes all old testament regarding homosexual persons-claiming it is the word of god. However, hypocrisy arises in other LDS areas, particularly involving finances, which they need to have "continuing revelation" to spin for their flock.

Google will kill this organization.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 02:24PM

Sad, when you send out thousands of youngsters to tell investigators that GOD himself chose prophets to restore eternal and UNCHANGING truths and make the LDS church the One True Church,

and yet it's all so pliable.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 03:24PM

A honk of my horn to the Romney campaign for that one...

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 04:28PM

. . . You see, truth is like day and night. At 10am yesterday it was correct and true to say that it was day. But at 10pm, it was correct and true to say that it was night. Both were correct and true in their own time.

Hows that?

Not workin' for ya?

Dang it.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 06:28PM

"...the Lord has now given the revelation that sheds light out into the world on this subject."

Yeah, but why didn't anybody tell "the Lord" that the rest of the world he apparently wants to enlighten was already ten steps ahead of him?

Posted by: runawayslave ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 07:18PM

This just kills me. How did I ever nod my head to this crap?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 09:08PM

First, I begrudgingly give them credit for reversing themselves on a big doctrinal issue, just as I give Christian Science begrudging credit for relaxing their once-strident opposition to medical care for children. These actions were probably forced by necessity, but at least they were done.

Second, a question: The 1890 Proclamation ending (sort of) polygamy and the 1978 Proclamation opening up the Melchizedek priesthood to all males are the two most significant changes in LDS doctrine and history. Yet neither of these were termed "revelations." Am I right in saying that there is major disconnect here, that in these cases, proclamations override the more profound event of revelation received by the founding, and greatest, prophet, Joseph Smith?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 01:22AM

You have to think about context. Only in the past few years has the church at large even recognized that Joseph Smith Instituted polygamy. For years it claimed that it was a product of Brigham Young. The reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints, or the Community of Christ, still makes this claim, despite the overwhelming evidence against it.

With regard to the blacks receiving the priesthood issue, I imagine that in Joseph Smith's day, it just wasn't much of an issue. It didn't really become an issue until well into the twentieth century. And like everything else Mormons were decades behind everyone in catching up to reality and social mores.

I mean, the institutionalized racism that existed within the church then, and even today, is an issue, but not in the sense that I'm talking about. You know what I mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 01:22AM by midwestanon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.