Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 12:46PM

They look fine on my PC. However, I wonder why you would choose this format. Seems like a lot of work with no added value.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 01:17PM

Actually this is the easiest. I open the thread I want to archive with Edge then print to PDF and keep the size 100%. I Have a PDF editor for a litle cleanup and add a few notes like TSCC=this so called church for those not familiar with our acronyms. I am automating the insertion of the archived PDF files next along with an improved site format. The bb will stay as is.

One step at a time. The Drupal archive did not work as I hoped. This is a universal format so changes to the site will be much easier to manage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 01:20PM by Eric K.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 12:47PM

working perfect on an Android phone, a Chromebook computer and on Windows 10.

Looking good!

ETA: after noting the above comment, I will confess that I was not familiar with whatever was the prior format. What I saw was lean, mean and clean. I think I'd be more inclined to read these now. But of course it's a personal observation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 12:50PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 12:49PM

Perfection on an iPhone with chrome!

Posted by: youknowwhoiam ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 01:31PM

samsung android chrome

looks great :)

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 04:43PM

Posted by: Ghost ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 08:58PM

All fine: Mac OS X

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 09:15PM

Thanks all. I will stay with this format.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 09:29PM

I've noticed some changes over time in some of the essays. It's a good thing to archive in some other format, any other format, than html or other web-based format. PDF is good. All that is needed is something that the cult can't change as their convenience dictates.

I expect that some day the church may claim that there never was a ban on blacks holding the priesthood, and that they have had an essay saying so on the church website for several decades now. Then when you go to a twenty or thirty old docement on the topic on the church website, the subtle changes to the old document will support that claim. If all you have is a link to the church website, that proves nothing then.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 12:38AM

Not that they can weasel around the wayback machine, but redundancy is always important in an archive. Especially in one as important as this one.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 12:25AM

I have an Amazon Kindle Fire and it all looks good, although I do need to enlarge the font a bit. I need new glasses!

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 02:02AM

Eric K, I know you're not asking for feedback on the specific topics you chose to archive, but rather are asking for testing/validation that the PDFs render correctly for various devices. I'm all in favor of that, given that I'm often involved in that sort of task in my day job.

However, I'm wondering if I can request that you archive a specific thread (or a reply in the thread). A few days ago, ziller asked the board what suggestions they might have for a relative being called to serve a mission in a dangerous, politically unstable part of the world. Tevai had a wonderful reply, and I was wondering if you'd archive that reply (maybe not the entire thread) because of the useful information in it.

Here's the link: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1875049,1875344#msg-1875344

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 02:42AM

dp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eric K, I know you're not asking for feedback on
> the specific topics you chose to archive, but
> rather are asking for testing/validation that the
> PDFs render correctly for various devices. I'm all
> in favor of that, given that I'm often involved in
> that sort of task in my day job.
>
> However, I'm wondering if I can request that you
> archive a specific thread (or a reply in the
> thread). A few days ago, ziller asked the board
> what suggestions they might have for a relative
> being called to serve a mission in a dangerous,
> politically unstable part of the world. Tevai had
> a wonderful reply, and I was wondering if you'd
> archive that reply (maybe not the entire thread)
> because of the useful information in it.
>
> Here's the link:
> http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1875049,1875
> 344#msg-1875344

The post I wrote to help ziller's nephew was very specific to the current unstable circumstances in Ukraine.

I could write a new post which would be more generalized to apply to international missionary destinations as a whole, with brief info on how to access US State Department travel warnings...a capsule explanation of what a consulate is and why the consulates are so VERY important to missionaries...the difference between a US "embassy" and a US "consulate"...and how to access the specific website of the US State Department which applies to the country the missionary is headed for.

If I did this, I would very much appreciate a list of the non-North American countries missionaries are sent to. What I would be looking for would be exceptions to the general "rules" (as I consider Ukraine to be; I cannot imagine why missionaries are being sent to a country which could be militarily invaded at any moment). If there are any more "Ukraines" on that list of missionary destinations, I would appreciate a heads up on them.

Thanks, dp!!!

:) :) :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 02:43AM by Tevai.

Posted by: International Geographic ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 02:52AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.