Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 06:23PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 06:30PM

I don't even WANT my own planet.

A continent, though--that would be cool. I live in South America, and I like this continent. We have all kinds of great stuff--monkeys, anacondas, volcanoes, cute ladies dancing to reggaeton and salsa, you name it. If TSCC could guarantee me South America I might consider returning. I'd need something in writing, of course.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 11:29PM

The church still believes that you not only get your own planet, you get your own universe, worlds without end. Your work and your glory as an omnipotent god is to be at the top of your own pyramid of planets with your children on them like earth is now, while also having gods under you, who are your own children who grew up to become gods themselves. They then have children planets and yet more gods under them. It goes on thay way for eternity. That's still the church's plan of salvation and exaltation. The modern mormon prophets are just to ashamed to admit it publicly.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 08:25AM

I believe azsteve is correct. The doctrine of 'worlds without end' is simply winked at amongst the Mormon faithful. They know it is still doctrine. It is simply kept quiet in public discourse. If the concept of eternal progression is dumped by the church, it would be a radical transformation to be like other Christian denominations. The temple symbolism becomes meaningless. Eternal marriage will be nothing more than being together in heaven just like in Christianity. No procreation. No spiritual children who will, at some point, gain bodies on some earth somewhere. The uniqueness of Mormon doctrine of eternal marriage and attaining godhood is its main attraction. Drop that doctrine and the Mormon church simply dies off due to the shear boredom of endless meetings and obligations.

Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 10:31AM

I am pretty darn sure that the way that TSCC leadership has always understood that doctrine to be that "you" were never going to get your own planet. The list of those that are going to get full blown exaltation is a pretty short list that is limited to the GA/mormon royalty/2nd anointed crowd.

"You", the run of them mill slob in the pews, are going to be cutting the grass, doing the dishes, and turning down the sheets for Dalin Oaks, David Bednar, Russell Nelson et al. And that's only if you're lucky and can even make it to the CK as a servant. If "you" are not a GA or some kind of mormon royalty then "you" were never supposed to make the cut.

If "you", the average Peter Priesthood, do make it to the CK, you're going as a Ken doll sans your man parts. If "you" are a faithful woman whose hot enough to make the cut then you're going to be added to someone's harem whether or not you were sealed to some other dude in mortality. (think Zina Huntington).

I'm confident that this has always been the "meat" doctrine, but the plebes in the pews have been allowed there "milk" delusions to keep their shoulder to the wheel in building up the kingdom for the benefit of the few. Mormonisms' egalitarianism is skin deep. It has always been a charade. That's the big "wink, wink" that's been going on since the beginning and why the new doctrine isn't new at all.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 10:37AM by westerly62.

Posted by: MollyCoddled ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 06:22PM

If you are of male eternal gender, that is what you get. Female eternal gender gets eternally silenced and pregnant.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 12:20AM

Being a Mormon just makes you so happy!

Posted by: I Stand All Offended... ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 04:48AM

Well maybe you can get beach-front property instead... In Arizona

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 07:22AM

I wouldn't want the responsibility of my own planet: I mean, seriously-- trying to get the recipe just right for Plate Tectonics and volcanic activity, deciding whether giant reptiles or smart mammals are more fun to watch, people always asking about their car keys, megalomaniacs slaughtering their own populace the same weekend I'm off a golf trip--so what do you want ME to do about it!?

A planet as a hobby, perhaps, but a full-time JOB?

Look at the crappy job the guy did who made this one...pretty good on the nature part, but lower back pain, acne, and fleas? Really.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 07:39AM

Getting just one planet is hardly the eternal reward promised through exaltation. What is promised is worlds without number.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 09:16AM

If you can't quite meet up to the measure, then you can watch as other more special tbms get the prizes. Your consolation winnings is to work as a servant cleaning the toilet of your more annoying narcissistic tbm relatives. That's what section 132 is all about, right?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 09:56AM

I want worlds without end so I can afford to lose a few while playing intergalactic pool.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 10:47AM

I think that at the core, religion--including Mormonism--is all about denying death, and creating a grand purpose for life. It's about making people feel important and making them feel like they belong to a like-minded group.

Getting your own planet definitely strokes (or stokes) someone's need to feel important and powerful. But there are other ways to be important when you are part of the one and only true church, and maybe even possess the power to act in God's name. You can save the world through conversion, setting a good example, and you can try to impose your 'values' on the rest of the world (stop gay marriage, limit sex ed AND discourage birth control, make it difficult to buy alcohol in Utah, and force stores to close on Sunday). Godhood would be better, but they can make do with control in their sphere of influence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 10:48AM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 06:33PM

Funeral taters?
They haven't got much else...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.