Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 12:28PM

[ See admin note lower down in the thread - This post below is sarcasm. ]

The existence of this website is indeed a sad reality, except for the fact it provides a place for human beings to interact with other human beings and that's always a good thing. But some even better news is that it can go away. The scriptures do say that "man is that he may have joy" so let's all have joy. So how do we make this particular website go away? It's simple to do. We just have to demonstrate that the premise of so many people here that the church is dishonest be proved false. Thus we can achieve this success by demonstrating clearly and unambiguously that the Mormon church is the most honest, truthful, and transparent church in all dispensations of time. That's pretty simple to do when you think of it. And other thing about being sincerely transparent is that members/investigators feel super comfortable asking questions in just about any forum and knowing that they will be treated with respect. And then places like RfM will simply fade away :)

I think it starts early. In Nursery/Sunbeams the children could be slowly introduced to the basics of church history such as the Kinderhook Plates, Book of Abraham facsimiles, and the husbands/wives of the church leaders - Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and all of them. In Nursery the children could learn to draw example gold plates, Kinderhook Plates, and papyri. They could learn all about the Native Americans being literal descendants of Father Lehi and learn how Lehi came to an empty continent (except for Coriantumr the Jaredite) around 600BC about 3400 years into the start of the earth's temporal existence. Kids will sing how they want to grow a foot or two and how they want to move to Jackson County MO once the place is wiped out of the wicked as the prophets have foretold. And of course the scientists/politicians in Mormonism could go show the world how the prophets got it all right as the scientists of the world do tend to be honest in the long run once the overwhelming evidences combine together to establish theories and facts in science. Mormons do believe in the scientific method so its all good :) By starting early we eliminate the risk of anyone being able to credibly claim "well I didn't know church history" when some anti-Mormon tries to share information/ideas with them that they had never heard of. And certainly the youth need to be well-informed before they are accountable. And then when they/anyone has questions of course we tell everything we possibly can about church doctrines, finances, statistics, history, and everything.

That'll shut up the naysayers when we show all how honest/transparent (which means true) that the church really is :) Of course I recognize that there are some who may still think "lets not tell the truth" or "lets lie" but we all know who the scriptures teach is the father of all lies so to those people who don't believe in complete transparency from the church/leaders I say "get thee hence" as does anyone honest about all this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2016 03:47PM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 12:29PM

way too much time on your hands ?

Date: September 24, 2016 12:38PM

Oh yeah I probably am putting my time into thinking about how the missionary work will benefit from proving to the world that the LDS church is the most honest/truthful church in all dispensations of time. Instead I could be feeling guilty that I'm not doing everything I can to fulfill my church responsibilities. I haven't even finished my geneaology on some lines and my poor ancestors could be rotting in their Spirit Prison cells waiting for someone to finally do their work. Furthermore, I need to read the scriptures every day. I need to pray morning/night. I need to do home teaching. I need to do fast offerings. I need to work another job so I can bring in more tithing. I need to contribute more to other programs like PEF, Book of Mormon fund, buying Mormon Helping Hands yellow shirts for everyone in our Stake, fulfilling more callings, doing more temple sessions, more volunteer assignments cleaning temple toilets, more assignments (per the ward bulletin schedule) to do chapel cleaning, get ready for when I'm a senior and need to spend my retirement working at church businesses or offices so they can spend less on employees, and do many more things I haven't mentioned here. So I suppose I don't have time to think about whether or not the church is truthful to me or study much on them as my time is all allocated by the Brethren to live obediently in following them.

Posted by: Please do/ ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 12:39PM

The nay sayers would welcome it. This board is packed with people that left TSCC when the truth was discovered!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 12:39PM

Hanging out with people who understand where I've been, where I am now, and where I hope to go is a bad thing?

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 12:55PM

The truth about Mormon doctrinal mush is a waste of everyone's time. Just show me the financial books. If LDS, Inc. would open their books to the world, without cooking them first, I guarantee it would be a revelation to all true believing Mormons and the entire world. I've found that all peoples and all religions have one thing in common. They hate having their pocket picked. If TBM's knew how egregiously their donations of 10% are abused they'd have some real eye opening, thought provoking conversations. Fast and testimony meetings would turn into Piss and Moan sessions.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 02:01PM

The "piss and moan" sessions are kind of where they're already at! They've been that way for a long while.

:/

Date: September 24, 2016 02:08PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2016 02:08PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:03PM

Dream on (hmm, Aerosmith earworm).

You're trying to fix something that doesn't want to be fixed. The further outside the Mormon bubble you get, the more you see that not only is it not fixable, it would be best off destroyed. It's way past its expiration date.

I mean it would be nice if anything could be salvaged, but the foundation is total mush that nothing can be built on.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:09PM

To summarize the OP's pile of words into English...

Brainwash, indoctrinate and brainwash some more. Start when they're young, by the way.

Edit to add: RfM is here, whether you like it or not. (ApologĂ­as to Gavin Newsom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2016 01:16PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: too bad ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:12PM

You've blown it. Non-humor, thy name is Honest TBM Satire.

I'm not amused. Your method risks further harm to those trying to heal, and jacks other people's threads. Your ass-hattery changes the tone of the board.

You, and maybe even those farther into recovery, may think this is "cute," but you are hurting real people, much as a sadist would.

You will be ignored, because you have no empathy for those at risk. Were you also caaron and proudmormomgirl?

Admin should block your ass.

Date: September 24, 2016 01:25PM

Nope, I'm not those individuals. And to those who wish to "Recover from Mormonism" that is their choice to do so and not for me to judge. And for those who wish to "recover" because some LDS leader failed to tell them the truth then the guilt should be on those leaders and not those people. Some LDS leaders have been dishonest people and that's a fact. But the future is bright where any LDS member/leader shall have full courage to be completely honest/truthful. And as that happens the world shall be a better place.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:14PM

IN on roll hread ~

Excellent satire OPie ~

(srs)

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:19PM

I read the OP's posts as satire...am I wrong? Is he/she serious?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:21PM

NeverMo in CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read the OP's posts as satire...am I wrong? Is
> he/she serious?

I also read it as satire...

Date: September 24, 2016 01:32PM

What I have written can only be considered satire if there was the possibility that the church wasn't a completely honest and transparent organization. But of course we all know that the church is true because the Brethren have taught the missionaries and members to say so :) And this truthfulness is reinforced by all the hard work that leaders, missionaries, and members do to share the good news that the church is so honest/transparent. The proof on all this of course is in the details over how they deal with questions asked. For example this scenario:

Apostate: I have a question. [Insert question]
TBM: Thank you for your question. [Insert the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth]

If the church wasn't true it would probably go like this:

Apostate: I have a question. [Insert question]
TBM: Go back to church. I will not answer your question.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:39PM

^^^ ^^^ ^^^

:D

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:58PM

Richard once called for a satire tag on something I thought was obvious, but I've since seen stuff that makes me shake my head.

This is one of them. I'm wondering if the OP has a secret fondness for British gin, because the humor--if that's what it is--is very, very dry.

Date: September 24, 2016 01:41PM

Satire is meant to be a form of humor, yes?

Is this funny?

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1880675,1880711#msg-1880711

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 02:15PM

I laughed, appreciatively, when I read the cited post, so obviously I'm on record. I enjoy the OP's 'style', but I don't have any problem with people who don't.

It's been pointed out that there are stops all the way on the road out of mormonism.

Date: September 24, 2016 03:32PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> It's been pointed out that there are stops all the
> way on the road out of mormonism.

And as the OP here knows those stops so well, should recognize a person in pain and need of help. Or, are you stating that the OP here was both setting up a false scenario on the other thread, as an opportunity to employ satire? My, my. Great way to destroy newcomer credibility.

Great way to nix anonymity as a rule. It was harmful and poor judgement. A real newcomer might not recognize the jest, and fakery might chill support for newcomers. You know, waiting to see if it's "real" pain?

Eod, to be clear, I like you and your opinions, and your posts often bring joy to my life. Honest TBM's hurt.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:26PM

Not sure, but I suspect that if The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints goes away, this website will likely follow suit, although it won't happen overnight.

(My daughter, a clinical psychologist, counsels vets at the VA who have been severely traumatized. Some of her patients are Vietnam-era vets. In other words, healing takes a long time.)

Posted by: never again ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:41PM

"The scriptures do say that "man is that he may have joy" so let's all have joy"
--------------
The reason for this website is because most of the LDS I know are JOYLESS and I live in the epicenter of Mormonizm.

You cannot promote Mormonism on being happy, it wont sell.. it is based on fear and guilt and you cant extort money by selling happiness just fear.

= thus JOYLESS

This site will be here a log long time.. it brings me JOY

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:53PM

Of course it is satire! Self-evident.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 01:58PM

WTF did i just read from TBM...i hope its a sorry attempt at nonhumor satire...if it isnt..obtuse would be the best word that comes to mind...but what recourse has a church than muddling up more history...burying the truth deeper...lying with more conviction...yes many are fine with that...ignorance is surely bliss...all so easy when your part of the hive...your family doesnt lie in tatters...and your freinds still feign friendship...those should stay in the church..they deserve it...for those less fortunate who have some semblance of honor and decency left..rfm will have to do..healing might take a lifetime...the scar will never go away...cant leave them alone indeed!!...i just love it when a tbm quotes the likes of joe and calls it scripture

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 02:00PM

I hate to have to label it, but Poe's Law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law means that some people will take it seriously.

And we have been getting complaints.

CZ (admin)

Date: September 24, 2016 02:09PM

It may be satire, but it isn't helping people in recovery mode.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 02:40PM

I have never been Mormon but you say "how honest/transparent (which means true) that the church really is :) " That is truly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!

If you are happy with your life in a cult, fine. But don't come here to a site where former Mormons receive support from each other in trying to recover from the great pain they have suffered because of this so-called 'church', which is a multi-billion dollar corporation masquerading as such.

Satire or not, your post is not the least bit helpful to recovering Mormons.

ETA: Nor did I find any humor in your attempt at satire.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2016 02:49PM by cinda.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 02:48PM

Most of us here on RFM are waaaay beyond the Mormon lies.

Actually, my children and I had all left the cult, PRIOR to learning that it was a hoax. I had been marginalized as a divorced single working mother, and my children had been disrespected because they were from "a broken home" My dear little ones were threatened, in Primary, that each one of our family would wander alone in the hereafter, "passing each other as strangers" for all eternity, if we didn't pay tithing and attend meetings.

The cult was used me as a slave organist and pianist and teacher, and, unlike my real job, didn't allow me any sick time. I was away from my home and children for over 6 hours on Sundays, with rehearsals, etc. The few times my sons went back to bed on Sundays (after their paper routes that began before dawn), the priesthood leaders (big, adult fathers) barged into our house (I was away doing the music at church), pulled my boys out of bed onto the floor, kicked them, and forced them to put on church clothes, and shoved them into a van and hauled them to church. What religion does this? Is this Christ's way???? There is nothing that can excuse this behavior. It is physical child abuse.

After leaving, I went online with a question about temple marriage and divorce, and finally got real answers. I swallowed the bitter Truth pill in about three weeks, staying up all night, and allowing my work to suffer, while I wrapped my mind around the horror of being lied to my whole life.

That was years ago, and I am a long way down the road from all that. I am still coping with the guilt of putting my beloved children in harm's way--allowing a cult to intrude itself into our family, and intercede in my raising of them, and invade my home with HT's, VT's, unreasonable and worthless callings and directives, etc. Mormonism was a nightmare for us!

I was relieved to discover it is a hoax. We were joyful to find out we could resign. (The Mormons had told us that the only way out was excommunication)

Most of us here on RFM have already resigned. We would never go back. Some of us, like me, have PTSD, and are unable to set foot in a Mormon building, without flashbacks and anxiety.

I'm also recovering from having all my Mormon "friends" shun me. Have you ever been shunned? It makes you feel terrible, and it attacks your fundamental self-esteem. These Mormons were/are my neighbors. We worked on our church callings together. Our children grew up together. They spent time playing at my house. I took them dinners when they were sick. We went to each other's parents' funerals, and cried together. Now, they don't even make eye contact with me at the grocery store. RFM reminds me that I'm not alone, and there's nothing wrong with ME. RFM gives me the confidence to go out and make new friends, and to strengthen my healthy non-Mormon friendships.

When we became inactive, our in-laws disowned us.

I have to "recover" from seeing some of my grandchildren brainwashed and baptized into this evil cult, and receiving their invitations saying, "_______(grandchild) has CHOSEN to be baptized..." when there is no real "choice" at all. My own grandchildren think I am "bad" because I'm not a Mormon.

Mormonism breaks up families, and RFM helps me deal with all of this.

We on RFM already know more of the truth an most TBM's know. The debates are over.

It is dealing with the residual Mormon abuse, slander, gossip, and rudeness that will be problematic as long as there are Mormons in our lives.

RFM would go away, if Mormonism would go away.

Date: September 24, 2016 03:25PM

Wow, Breeze, your story sounds very similar to mine. I left initially, with my children in tow, because of some of the same things you did. I was sacrament chorister for five years. Treated differently, as were my children, because I was a divorced young mother who worked f/t to support my brood.

When they started discriminating my children from Christmas programs because of that, was when I called them out. They have zero love for the "widows or orphans" in their midst ie, the fatherless children spoken of in scriptures. They treated us with callous disregard as people. When it came to my children, I became like the mama bear. No one messes with my kids, no one. Or they'll have me to contend with. At least growing up, I was their advocate and best friend.

That came before my learning about the history and false teachings we'd been raised with.

Being a single woman in the LDS church and young mother taught me to be self-reliant. It wasn't Mormonism that could save me or my children. I still believe in God and Jehovah, but they are not that institutionalized organization or representative of it.

For a church to call itself "true" and routinely misrepresent and castigate the very teachings that makes a Christian church Christian, that was the beginning of the end for me and my children. They don't have the pure love of Christ or practice charity. That's what is missing at the heart of Mormonism. It has neither heart or substance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2016 03:30PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 03:44PM

This was a bit dark for sarcasm (if dark is the appropriate word) and is troubling some people based on the emails we are receiving. A few people want to leave the board as a result. So I am closing this thread at our old limit of 30. Normal threads run to 60. This is not a deletion, just letting it runs its course down the page. I don't like to do this, but the heartfelt pain some are feeling after reading the original post persuades me to do this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.