Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: October 02, 2016 08:05PM

How do I contact an admin? I have a post that is pretty long, and it keeps saying that I have a banned word in there. I can't figure it out. Is there a list of all the banned words?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 02, 2016 08:25PM

I don't think there's a list per se.

What I was told in past after contacting admin is to cut and paste paragraph at a time until you find the culprit with the banned word embedded in it.

Then you have to weed out that line by line until you find the word - it may not be a word you're familiar with. It may be embedded inside another word.

That's why you just have to work through a section at a time (if you want to preserve your post with just an edit of that one word.)

It's a judgment call on your part, what you're willing to work through and as time permits.

To contact admin, follow instructs above in the top pinned posts. They will tell you how and who to contact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 08:26PM by Amyjo.

Date: October 02, 2016 09:57PM

Thanks...

The word was the name of the famous Utah cereal killer Ted....

lol

I posted in bios if any one would like to read.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 02, 2016 10:09PM

>The word was the name of the famous Utah cereal killer Ted....

What? Somebody in Utah killed corn flakes?

Seriously... due to a certain event that happened earlier this year at a wildlife refuge in a western state, and the discussions that followed here, that particular name is not allowed.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 09:49PM

That would be TONY, not Ted.

Tony the Tiger added a LOT of sugar to corn flakes. I personally think the sugar helped corn flakes, rather than killed them.

Date: October 02, 2016 10:11PM

I doubt it's because of him. It's more likely the dueling anti-authoritarian brothers who share/d the same last name as Ted. They were raising the RfM roof a bit much. So admin put the brakes on that particular topic (they are LDS too.) Like ole Ted was.

Ted didn't kill corn flakes. He murdered young women. One or two passing through Salt Lake City. He had a string of murders from coast to coast before the law caught up with him.

He was a serious serial killer. Psychopath who used being a Mormon as a cover ie, camouflage for the monster that he really was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 10:13PM by Amyjo.

Date: October 02, 2016 10:19PM

Thanks!

Haven't checked out bios in a few weeks. It's overdue. ;o)

That was the first place I posted when I came to RfM, like so many others.

Welcome Mandy!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 02, 2016 08:31PM

ExMoLight@gmail.com

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 02, 2016 10:12PM

No, you want to email Eric. It's stickied at the top of the board.

erickett@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 10:13PM by summer.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2016 08:51PM

When I was a member of the church, I always hated the way there were certain words I couldn't use, certain topics I couldn't discuss, certain books I could not read, certain music I could not listen to, and certain movies I could not watch.

As an American, I was always a bit uncomfortable with the idea of censorship. It is like in the book "1984." If you can control what people hear, and can control the structure of the language so that people can only say certain things, then you are well on your way to controlling their minds. Certain thoughts can't really be thought if there are no words available to express them.

As a member of the church, I always hated vague commandments, policies, and doctrines. How can you follow the rules if you don't know what they are?

A recent big example is caffeine. When I grew up in a small conservative Utah town, all caffeine was bad. Every bit of it. Cola was of the devil. Iced tea and iced coffee were bad. It didn't matter what color the tea was, it was all bad. NoDoz pills were bad.

Nowadays the prophet drinks Diet Pepsi. TBMs drink colas, green tea, iced tea, iced coffee and all manner of things. It is hard to say what is and what is not against the Word of Wisdom. How can anyone follow the Word of Wisdom now? A TBM might drink diet Pepsi, like the prophet, in one ward, and move to another ward with a different bishop and discover he now has a Word of Wisdom problem and can't get a temple recommend.

If there are to be rules that must be followed, then they need to be clearly posted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 08:53PM by Heretic 2.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 02, 2016 10:14PM

If you post a banned word, and that word can be part of another word, you'll get a message. You may also get summoned to the principle's office.

RB

Date: October 02, 2016 10:18PM

The word was B undy....

and it was a bugger to figure out, because it just happened to be in the paragraph that all my suspect words were in.
sexuality
libido
masturbation
pervert

I feel like I just had a nice game of Battleship.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 02, 2016 10:32PM

Yours is a powerful and touching story, mandy.

:)

Date: October 03, 2016 10:09AM

Thanks

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 10:16AM

I will keep working on the list. Our primary problem has been spammers. Specific domains and words are blocked to help us admin the site. If you run into a problem you cannot resolve, please email me. My email address is at the top sticky note. Please try to find the problematic word yourself first using the preview function. It may take a day or more for me to respond.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 08:06PM

The list of banned words exists -- but it's banned.

(with apologies to the wonderful and hard-working Eric!)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 11:53PM

Here's to hoping the story gets through (raises half empty glass--yeah, I'm one of those, a half empty), mandy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 11:54PM by donbagley.

Posted by: test ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 11:13PM

MormonLeaks

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 11:47PM

Luckily, the word "boner" in *not* banned here.

Also, dagnabit, tomfoolery, nimbus, dingus, and cocksure are OK to use.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 12:05AM

Apparently, "if you wouldn't say it in the grocery store, don't say it here" (per "guidelines" section of the site).

Personally, I don't say shit in the grocery store except "thank you."

Still, that's a pretty wide berth for the mods.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 12:18AM

Anything in regards to political islam?

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 11:56AM

Read your Bio. You are an amazing and able writer. Your expressions brought to life in depth your journey to finally be true to who are, a lovely vibrant being. I admire your being able to stay connected with the real you and come out of hiding. I applaud you on your journey.

Sharing your story gives hope to all, gay, bi or straight. We are who are and our diversity brings beauty and magnificence to our life experiences. Thank you

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 12:46PM

The few that are left are for the most part racial and/or crude or link to sex sites or for marketing. I have been over it a number of times and will review again. Our admins are volunteers and this is a good tool to minimize problems.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.