Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: October 09, 2016 06:22PM

I am curious how many of you found the CES letter or knew about it and it then helped be a catalyst for your departure from LDS Inc?

And, for those of you who had left before the CES letter was available, did you find the CES letter to be helpful to "open the eyes" of a spouse or other family members that you wanted to know what you know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: October 09, 2016 08:47PM

I was out before the CES letter was available. I have tried to share it with a TBM relative, but he refuses to read any of the evil anti-Mormon literature I present to him including the essays on lds.org.

But on the other hand, he is very busy and very poor at answering e-mails. There is the possibility that he read some of the stuff I sent links to, and then to save face, pretended to have not read it.

Posted by: dadsprimalscream ( )
Date: October 09, 2016 10:16PM

My exit predates the CES letter by about 8 years, but many of the issues listed therein are the same ones that caused me to realize it's all a fraud

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 12:07AM

I was out long before the CES letter. I had read everything that was in it some years before.

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 12:20AM

I haven't actually read the CES letter yet. I came out as an atheist last December, which is when I came out a lesbian (a large part of why I left the church).

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 12:59AM

I was out before the CES letter; but, the church's awful treatment of Jeremy Runnells at his "Court of Love" confirmed my decision to exit the whole thing.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 01:11AM

No. Never read it. I knew as a teenager it wasn't worth my time.

RB

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 03:00AM

My shelf collapse predated my reading of the ces letter by about 2 days:) It was part of a post collapse read fest.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 03:02AM

Not my exit, but it helped my husband finally see the light and leave :)

Posted by: texsaw ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 12:37PM

The letter worked for the wife. It took her about a week to work through, all the time cross referencing with the BOM. Her first comment after reading was "I have been lied to for 40 years!"

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 12:59PM

I was out 33 years before the CES letter appeared.

I have found it somewhat useful in pushing a few (most cousins and a couple of nephews) who were already on the fence off of it, and onto a more reasonable side. But it hasn't budged the long-time TBM adults I've tried to get to look at it.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 05:12PM

Gordon BS Hinckley is what basically lead to my departure from the MORmON scam. I think what Jeremy has done is great.

Posted by: mosiash ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 05:26PM

CES Letter was a big part for me. I had a heavy shelf but the CES Letter caused it to collapse for sure.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 05:53PM

No, not at all.

It's awesome, but not necessary. Mormonism could be 100% true and totally backed by empirical and logical evidence and I still wouldn't want any part of it.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 06:01PM

I was out before the CES letter came to be.

But CES was instrumental in my decision to leave. Working full time for them for 27 years opened my eyes.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 06:13PM

I was already out, but it helped me feel even better about being out.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 06:28PM

Yes. I stumbled upon the CES letter the month after it was put out. I read it all at once, studied all day, every day, for the next couple weeks, then dumped it all on my TBM wife. It didn't go well. The next year was the worst year of my life. My wife eventually softened up, but she still won't read the letter.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 08:10PM

It definitely added to thinking my way out of the mind fuck.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 08:22PM

It would be very much appreciated if contributors to RFM would spell out initials when they contribute information (followed with initials if want to).
Such as in this instance. What does CES stand for? (I don't remember right now.)
Thanks.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 08:33PM

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 08:35PM

Church education system. The letter was written to a particular director, I can't remember who, but I am sure there is someone here who remembers offhand. They are purported to be experts in the Mormon religion and supposedly able to defend many of the points brought up in the CES letter but so far I haven't heard anything convincing.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 09:35PM

out back in early 90's. CES letter not necessary

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 09:44PM

I stopped believing back in the 1990's from other sources (Tanners, Brodie, etc) but had I still been a believer when it came out, it definitely would've done a number on me. It's a great document to have a TBM read...IF you can ACTUALLY GET them to read the damn thing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 10:34PM

In late December, 1966, ghawd the father and his son Jesus Christ! appeared to me in a small taqueria in Silao, Guanajuato, to tell me that they didn't exist. I remained a tribal mormon for another eight years.

Facts amuse me, so I appreciate the CES letter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.