Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: starting fresh ( )
Date: November 11, 2016 05:01PM

I did the concert and it was amazing! I got a headache at the end which I think was dehydration under the lights. Next one is 4 weeks away and really excited about it. Family dynamic was disappointing but it didn't even stress me hardly at all. Go Me! Thanks for everyone's support, it makes all the difference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 11, 2016 05:56PM

Good news. Remember, your performance is for yourself - any friends or family showing up is just a bonus. Don't fret over family not participating in what makes you happy. This is your life.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 11, 2016 08:02PM

Congrats on getting through it.

I don't know if you're like me, but I'd get jittery before a concert. That sort of gave me the impetus to be as prepared as I was going to be, and then once was doing the musical score the rest was downhill from there.

At least your family turned out to show their support. That has to mean something. :)

Posted by: starting fresh ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 11:33AM

Yes, that's exactly how I am! I was just so proud that I turned up and got on the stage. It was all so easy after that!

With regards to the family.........

Didn't get to see parents today either though as they wanted to spend time in the hotel and with me going to a wedding it didn't work out. But saw them for 10 mins before and 15 mins after the concert. The rest of the time they were with my sister's estranged husband or on their own today. A real high light last night happened which I will mention. So we were waiting for him to arrive to collect mum and dad. Dad said to me, did I want to cadge a lift home. Cadge, like I would grovel for it and nothing would incite me to ask for a lift anyway. I said No, I wanted to get a take away as I had not eaten much all day. That was a lie as I didn't have money but I had to ring fence it so they would not try to persuade me. Well he arrived, dad said come and speak to him. Then my sister got out of the car and closed the door but I acknowledged him and said hello to my sister, mum and dad were surprised to see her. She said she was joining them to go visit the family before mum and dad were going back to the hotel.

So I said bye and was walking away and then, now just get this because it is very very clever and manipulative, I am about 20 steps away from the car, he gets out from the drivers seat and shouts after me, I'm telling you incase no one else does, that you are invited to Christmas Eve. ( You will remember everything I have been telling you about that since August) I felt quite shocked and I just graciously said Thank you and carried on walking home. As I was not prepared to spoil the evening as it was all about my concert. He didn't get out of the car to ask how my evening went, neither did my sister ask me. But it is clever because he is seen to do the right thing in front of my parents and now it makes me look rude for not going, but I am absolutely not going and neither am I telling him that I am not going.

Anyway, I am proud cos it didn't upset me at all, I think as I was so proud of myself for doing the concert. And my parents did come and that does mean something after all but when I invited them I did think I would see them for more than 30 mins the whole trip!

It seems a bit petty now to me, that shows I've grown!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 12, 2016 12:08PM

One thing you might consider doing is having someone video a few minutes of you singing, and then post it to Facebook.

About Christmas eve -- regardless of invitations, you are entitled to make your own plans. My nephew and his wife usually spend Christmas by themselves, and then do their visiting after the holiday. You are an adult, you get to decide.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.