Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 10:34AM

I'm pretty sure it is, but this question surely comes up right after the shelf collapses. There's a temptation to keep imagining that the imaginary things of our imaginary world are actually real because of social pressures. And, maybe it's best to go along to get along.

Maybe it's the opposite of the famous Bud Light commercial. Self delusion: never a good decision. True enough, but TSCC has people so turned around they can't think straight. They think men like the GAs speak for God.

That's by design, though. Delusions aren't bad per se. Many successful marriages have been built on delusion. It's using delusion and misguided trust as the foundation for a criminal enterprise that gets me. Maybe I'm just funny that way. It would be better for society to send missionaries out to be cat burglars rather than preying on people's hopes and insecurities to effect what in another context would be grand larceny.

Maybe I'm being too nice. If it was just the money it wouldn't be so bad. Indoctrinating innocent children, spiritual malfeasance on a grand scale, and just plain old stupidity are other TSCC features one might find disagreeable. But I think that's beside the point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 11:11AM

Delusion is only helpful when you're Susan Oliver and Jeffery Hunter and the Talosion's give you the delusion that you are both healthy and happy.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:52PM

Wow, I'm geeking out in my own little delusional menagerie!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 11:25AM

Can you really self delude? That is a lot of work if your conscious has a corner that won't let go of reality even if it's been buried as deep as you are able. The problem with most deluded Mormons is they are BIC and never got the dose of reality in the first place. That is a handicap.

On the other hand, delusion is an important tool to use when one wishes to control others and keeping them in the dark is useful for your purposes.

Delusion is definitely a positive for any wannabe leader, president, or despot who doesn't have the right stuff and wants to make it to the top adored position anyway.

Razzle Dazzle them, and they'll make you a star!

So many people want desperately to quell their fears by ignoring the truth and then become willing victims of wishful thinking. There's wine for that though---if they only knew.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 11:52AM

Like any answer: it depends.

In a marriage, some delusion can be a good thing. "He's the best cook!" "She's the prettiest woman ever!" However, when a spouse is delusional and missing the fact her husband is cheating and exposing her to potential STDs there are potential life-altering consequences to her delusion of a happy marriage.

I have delusional prepper friends who prepare for a post apocalyptic world. They believe they'll be fine after a year as the rest of the world burns. They are delusional. I have a farm, raise animals, grow and eat my own food. It's hard work, sweat, blisters, frustrations in the best of times. Without a co-op to pick up supplies, a store to gather needed materials for repairs, electricity to keep water from freezing, or a vet to help with difficult situations, it would be unbelievably hard. My friends have a romanticized perspective of what their life will be after an "event" that is simply delusional from my perspective.

Anyway, there have been times I have thought "if I could go back before....would I?" (not just about the church; about past relationships or careers, too).

My answer has always been, "It's better my eyes are open."

Great thread; thanks.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:33PM

Michael Shermer, who is the founder of The Skeptics Society and Editor in Chief of its magazine Skeptic, addressed this topic in one of his books. He said that believing something that is false but does not threaten your survival essentially has no consequence. He likened the situation to believing a non-poisonous snake was venomous - a false belief - but the consequence of avoiding non-poisonous snakes has no consequence to survival. On the other hand, believing something that is false that does have survival consequences can be very harmful. If you believe a venomous snake is not poisonous, you could end up dead when you are not careful around it.

Religion as a delusion is very complex and the survival benefits and consequences are not nearly as clear as the snake example.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:44PM

I gave up trusting myself a long time ago. I simply muddle along, choosing the best alternative. For example, I harbor no illusions that being "exmormon" is objectively "right." It's merely better for me, based on where I am here and now.

Delusions within delusions within delusions, limited/dictated by the parameters of my mind, by the very small dataset that comprises my experience, and by fate.

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily--life is but a dream.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 01:32PM

Having seen shermer demonstrate his great ability to be satisfied that he knows everything...id say skeptics have their own set of delusions...refusing to even admit you dont know can have the same effect...we all have our whimsies...that doesnt make others whimsies any less valid...when we finally accept we may all just be muddling along..well likely be less judgemental and more accepting...dont sweat small tough..its all small stuff...preppers are gonna get a real education if the shtf...i hope they save that last bullet..just try a week with the power off and two feet of snow...your house is right full of useless shit...and gas doesnt store like it used to

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.