Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ab ( )
Date: December 29, 2016 10:57AM

Here is a good quote from Forbes:
I’ve learned to be nice to myself, because ultimately we’re all doing the best we can with what we’ve got.
Rachel Schwartzmann

The quote was given prior to opening this article on the subject of this post:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/12/28/einstein-believed-in-a-theory-of-spacetime-that-can-help-people-cope-with-loss/#7f03148527ec

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 29, 2016 11:24AM

Yeah, but can Einstein help you find your car keys?

Date: December 29, 2016 11:58AM

He can't help with the lost key but he can most definitely help if you have lost your sense of wonder and mystery of the universe.

Date: December 29, 2016 12:43PM

It is better to never find your keys than to be as good as dead by being blind to the mysterious.

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead —his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.” Einstein

See this video for an explanation of Einstein's theory of time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrqmMoI0wks

All experiments that I know of are consistent with his theory.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 29, 2016 01:12PM

The "mysterious" is an opportunity to dig in and gain more knowledge. As such, it's "beautiful." At least to me, since "beauty" is entirely subjective...

That video isn't an "explanation" of "Einstein's theory of time" in any reasonable sense, though. It cherry-picks some bits from a PBS series, mixes in a fair amount of nonsense, and then has numerous text overlays insulting and demeaning anyone who doesn't see the supposed "magic" the video's poster sees.

And at any rate, Einstein never posited a "theory of time." Time was a variable in General Relativity, one combined with space (hence the term "space/time"), and while he had the insight (later confirmed by experiment) to declare time "relative," there was no separate "theory of time."

If you want an explanation of Einstein's concepts of space/time, read his papers -- or any of the hundreds of excellent books that are far more up-to-date than Einstein's original papers. I'd avoid "explanations" from poorly-produced, cherry-picked, copyright-infringing YouTube videos.

Date: December 29, 2016 05:21PM

As long as you can tap into a feeling of mystery and beauty, and not think that your logic encompasses reality, then you are doing well from my point of view.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.