Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tommy ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 12:53PM

They shun you for leaving and spread rumors about why. Familys break u and Mormons choose a cult over their own blood. All my mormon "friends" no longer talk to me since i stopped attending and put in the paperwork to leave. Pure cult like behavior. I dispise their behavior. I will speak out about this cult to my last day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 01:07PM

Much in the MormonCult teaches people to not be good. I am sorry that you are experiencing shunning as it hurts to the core.

Not long ago there was a talk given at the BYU, "the Lord's University," telling the graduates and other attendees that apostates should be shunned by "good" members. (I am not quoting him, but the sentiment is the same).

Really? This is what "the Lord's University" is teaching???? This is how people should treat one another?

As a young mother eons ago, I was told by another Mormon mother that she did not allow her children to play with children who were not Mormons. WTF? I had grown up going to the Mormon
Church only now and then with friends, I had lots of non-Mormon friends through the years, and had never come across such an attitude. I'm sure my mouth dropped a foot.

This mother was older than me, seemed to be teaching me in a passive aggressive way what I must do to be a "good" mormon mother, and was making me mad. I simply told her I would never do such a thing.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 01:25PM

Sorry you are having this negative experience.
The sooner you disconnect, the better.
The LDS Church is full of a lot of different people. Some are decent, some are not.
Stick to kind, helpful people, and ignore the rest.
Resign, get out of that mess!
What others say and do is about them, not you, anyhow.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 01:44PM

What makes this worse is that they *think* they're the best people on earth. When they're mean, they think they're nudging others onto the straight and narrow. They're actually tormenting others and making themselves look bad.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 01:48PM

The majority of Mormons look their best in the rear view mirror with your foot slammed to the floor on the gas pedal.

Even for the few who seem okay, who wants friends whose every action must be questioned for motive?

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 06:42PM

D & D said, "Even for the few who seem okay, who wants friends whose every action must be questioned for motive?"

Yep, that's a bummer. Too many Mormons are always in end-justifies-the-means mode. So they'll come on all friendly and concerned, but in reality I'm just a project, like a rescued dog that's gotta be housebroken.

The safe course is simply not to trust Mormons.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 01:44AM

Somehow that strikes me as funny. They just KNOW they're right to use tough love on you because YOU'RE the problem. Because you don't believe their goofy cult.

Date: January 09, 2017 10:27AM

" . . .ends justifies the means mode." So good to be out of that.

Deep down a lot of Mormons feel their actions are wrong, but must do what their owners are telling them. It's like my mission. Most of what I was doing never felt right, but I did it anyway. I worked hard at it. My indoctrinated head over ruled my own sense of goodness, morality and reason. The relief of letting my true nature surface was the best thing ever.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 01:57PM

+1000

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 02:00PM

LDS leaders have systematically denied members of recognizing the differences between Right & Wrong.

When leaders bounce responsibility back to victims of member' hurts & harms, that's where it starts.

They seem to have given up on denying privileges to members of the Favored.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 02:01PM

First, I want to say there are some good Mormons. They exhibit graciousness which often runs counter to the official pronouncements from the corporation. The 'disconnect from ex-Mormons' command from general authorities is ignored. They do not seem to be in the majority.

Now let me add a caveat from personal experience. I left Mormonism 23 years ago here in Tennessee. I run into former co-workers, neighbors, former band members etc. all the time at the gym. They are always friendly and stop to talk for a moment. I have even run into a former relief society president, who is an ex-Mormon, and she updates me on her grown childrens adventures. One started at bio tech firm and travels the world. He is remarkably successful and, of course, an ex-Mormon. When I run into some currently active Mormons who I knew 20+ years ago, they will not acknowledge a simple wave or hello. It is as if I do not exist. I wave and say hello anyways. I need to learn to be more assertive and not let their shunning bother me. Being an introvert is tough.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 05:57PM

Good for you Tommy!

Nothing like sharing the (gospel of) truth. Preach it!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 06:57PM

The highest good in Mormonism is the Mormon Church. It's not
the people, it's not even the gospel. It's the Church itself.

To avoid those who are critical of the Church is considered good.
To support those who are critical of the Church is considered evil.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 10:21PM

There probably are some fairly good people who are M ormons and some who are not.

But when it comes to dealing with those who have left Mormonism, the majority seem to be downright awful. Hence this Recovery board.

It's too bad they don't seem to get that their behavior is so very unChristian-like.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 11:04PM

I am so sorry for all who have experienced this pain. My exit was painful enough without it. The worst I have experienced is that my family is afraid for the "moral" education of my children; my mother doesn't ask my opinion on spiritual subjects anymore and seems to think I've forgotten things I knew; and one of my friends was astonished to find that "You're still you!" LOL.
Possibly the worst part is me imagining what people must think about me because of what I was taught to imagine about others. Sigh.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 12:29AM

the stories I could tell .....

Date: January 08, 2017 01:57AM

If your role models are the Q15, wake up and smell the Depends.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 01:58AM

There are good and bad people everywhere. I don't think Mormonism teaches people to be bad. I think that bullies just find a dogma such as Mormonism, race, or gender and use it to beat others up.

Some people in Mormonism don't like coffee, so they use Mormonism to criticize people who like coffee. They look for people that will not fight back. They look for people who are easy to make feel guilty. They attack ambush-style and leave their victims feeling bad about themselves.

T-Bone
Edited to elaborate on what I mean by using dogmas to beat others up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 02:24AM by T-Bone.

Date: January 08, 2017 10:06AM

It's not the coffee they don't like, but the idea of coffee. Many hate the ideas of alcohol and cigarettes but haven't tried either. Being trained to hate behaviors is tantamount to being trained to hate people. People have behaviors. Some people remain good by ignoring this teaching. Others take it to heart and become haters. It's a strange system that tries to build up divinity by tearing it down.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 02:25AM

Mormonism absolutely produces bullies of the worst kind. Arrogant people promised to become gods is a powerful tool used for the elite.

Posted by: pechin ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 10:55AM

Good point.

"You can be exalted in the hereafter, like we are here and now, if you will do as we say, here and now."

They may actually want to come off as "exalted" beings. It would explain a lot of the a-hole behaviors.

Posted by: runrunrun ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 12:30PM

Lot talk and babble above that there are "good mormons".

So what is the definition of a "good mormon" then?

What I know of "good mormons" is that I as a brother am still considered unworthy all these years after not being allowed to attend my sisters wedding that I haven't been allowed to attend the nephews weddings nor likely the upcoming niece's wedding.

Sigh....

Date: January 09, 2017 06:42PM

What is a "good Mormon"?

This is a great question, because now I'm indulging in the same thing I am criticizing Mormons for.

A "bad Mormon" is somebody is who is judgmental and uses their religion as moral high ground.
* I waited for marriage. Therefore, I'm better than you.
* I don't drink coffee. Therefore, I'm better than you.
* I go to lots of church meetings. Therefore, I'm better than you.

A "good Mormon", in my opinion, knows how to live and let live. They don't make judgmental remarks about others' choices.

Please don't get me wrong. I apply this line of thinking to everybody, whether it's religion, politics, or any other lifestyle they enjoy. There are people who are just as judgmental when it comes to fitness or diet.
"Are you really going to eat that?"

I guess what I rail against most is people who are judgmental.

Having said that, I'm a judgmental person. Sometimes I'm right. Sometimes I'm wrong. Sometimes it's a useful defense mechanism. Sometimes it's not. I don't always know at the time.

T-Bone

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 01:18PM

I agree with Eric. All the older Mormons I knew from decades ago (that aren't dead) are still very friendly to me...because they are good people. No agenda on display.

RB

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 02:12PM

Remember this, your friends/friendship itself are contingent upon blind obedience to the jo smith jr. for profit, corporate CULT! No one has any real, lasting friends for the most part in mormonism (exceptions are few)! These so-called valiant, indoctrinated sheep are endlessly counseled in mind bending sessions disguised as required, endless meetings/told in addition to other damage control verbiage (moron spin) to stay away from apostates who have actually developed the ability to research church history from official, canonized church records themselves/now have the ability to think critically! Yes, the fraud is real!! The droid himself (BKP), "Don't allow disease germs to spread"! In mormon speak - suppress everything/demand total ignorance from membership!! Yup, and the truth is not always useful! Questioning members should - Run - Run for your lives!!

To shun, scorn/snub are disturbing, inept signs of a sick culture unable to process well researched, well documented evidence/resultant rejection of the mormon mirage that never was real! You know, faith trumps the facts kind of nonsense runs rampant in the CULT! Reject any organization that promotes faith over fact! It's quite obvious that CULT victims are unable to process the unnerving truth about themselves/resist obsessively! In so many cases - rejection of enlightened members, followed by vindictive rants rooted in delusional, bizarre thinking should be expected! mormon speak again - belief in the unknown is now interpreted as factual information/known to the delusional mind! Wow, the BS craziness never ends!

As we have witnessed so often, ignorant, true believers are very, very uncomfortable being reminded of a myriad of lies surrounding sacred doctrine promoted by their false profits from the very beginning who were well known, well documented low-life's in their 19th century world! Money grubbing, 21st century, mormon CULT, corporate operatives must never forget - truth is one hell of an unforgiving adversary! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Date: January 09, 2017 06:54PM

tnurg,

Love that screen name, by the way. And I enjoyed what you said about the sick culture of Mormonism.

I find that social movements that require a high degree of obedience to a narrative that cannot stand up to scrutiny breed a certain way of thinking. Mormons take the moral high ground when their narrative is challenged, and they can be downright vicious in defending their position.

The interesting thing is how the truth can eventually get through to some people. There are some who will probably never wake up, and maybe even some that would be better off left alone. But it's my opinion that people who find their way here and find their way out are better off in the long run. It can be difficult, but to me it's totally worth it.

T-Bone

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 02:26PM

They try to undermine parents who have left Mormonism and sabotage it by various means to take over the kids of "wayward" parents - which is offensive in itself but also creates all kinds of needless friction with exmormons.

It's unfortunate that they can't just be friendly and "Christ-like" the way their church tells them to be. No, they become downright devious, dishonest and break all kinds of boundaries they probably wouldn't think of breaking with anyone who was never Mormon. They don't see that it is not their right to infringe.

I can see them wanting to do so but they have to learn to accept that exmormon parents have the right to raise their kids as they see fit and not but in constantly.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 03:41PM

I disagree with T-bone and others who say that Mormons are nice people, as a group.

Hey, I was once one of them!!

I was taught in Primary to play only with Mormon kids, but my mother was too busy with church work and bridge club, and luncheon clubs to drive me to the Mormons' homes, so I was allowed to play with the kids in the neighborhood--but not with the Jewish kids (their father was the Rabbi) and not with the Black kids.

In Young Women we were taught all about dating and marriage--long before my friends and I were remotely interested in all of that--we were still playing with dolls, and climbing trees. I was relentlessly indoctrinated to NEVER DATE ANYONE WHO IS NOT MORMON. And I didn't! Two of my best little playmate friends grew up to be wonderful, handsome, brilliant young men, and I fell in love with both of them, in succession--but they were atheists, so I couldn't marry either one. In YW we were taught to date only boys who could become prospective husbands--returned missionaries, who would take us to the temple. I paid the price for shunning two people I loved!

Sorry for the ramble--but a lot of us ex-mormons know about shunning, because we were taught all those lessons.

I had a last interview for my last temple recommend, so I could see my daughter get married in the temple. I was asked the standard question: "Do you associate with any apostates or apostate groups?" I had the bishop repeat the question. I thought about my own children, who were questioning the cult, and becoming inactive. I thought about my ex-Mormon work colleagues, and how a group of us had become best friends. "No," I lied. I realized that God was somewhere else, and that no one in Heaven would judge me for wanting to be at my daughter's wedding.

Old-time active Mormons in my neighborhood don't even acknowledge my presence. Like Eric K says, "It is as if I do not exist." This is abusive, and really, really hurts. These Mormons used to be my friends! I took them meals when they were sick. Our children played together.

It wasn't anything I did. My children were good examples to the Mormon kids. They were friendly, moral and honest, good students, successful, and a lot of fun. My daughter, who is a TBM now, never took a drink, never rebelled, but she was snubbed because she chose to take art classes, instead of Seminary. That ruined her social life! (She's a professional graphic designer and illustrator, now.) I was a good example, too. I didn't run around trying to find another husband--I was too busy working to support my family.

I used to question myself all the time. What did I do to make everyone hate me? I left very quietly, yet men came to my house in groups of two and three to threaten and harass me. My best Mormon friend asked, "What did we do to you to offend you so much that you would leave the church?"

Nothing stopped the shunning. Nothing changed their mind about me. My house looks pretty, my yard is well-kept, I make more money than most of them, I look respectable, our family are mature, conservative, quiet--why do they hate us?

OP, Tommy, I think you have the right attitude! I was a coward when I left. The Mormons frightened me with their threats, and I shut right up--like I'd been threatened by the Mafia, or something. I didn't want to ruin things for my children. I wanted to stay friends with my Mormon neighbors, so I didn't argue or debate. Instead of standing up for the Truth, I evaded the subject, and never told them why I resigned.

Now, I have a TBM daughter and grandchildren being raised in the cult, and Mormon in-laws--and I have to dance around the cult, still--for the rest of my life. (So grateful for RFM)

God! I would like to rebel, and scream the Truth to all those nasty, self-righteous liars.

Date: January 09, 2017 12:17AM

Pariah,

You are free to disagree with me, but I said "(t)here are good and bad people everywhere." I didn't say that Mormons are good as a whole. Unless you were saying that you disagree with me, and also disagree with people who say that Mormons are nice people as a whole? That's fine.

Is it possible that some of us enjoyed that feeling of superiority that we got by shunning the less actives and non-Mormons?

Whatever the case may be, the sooner we get over the idea that we need approval from Mormons the better. Mormonism makes members depend on the approval of others to keep the membership in line. That's a horrible way to live. I was addicted to the approval of others, and at one time I'd do anything to get it. Now I have a whole life outside of Mormonism and I don't depend on the approval of others.

Freedom is a wonderful feeling.

T-Bone

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 04:41PM

I tend to agree, but also disagree. I've witnessed and experienced hypocrisy and cruelty dished out by Mormons. But at the same time, I also know wonderful people who are Mormons who continue to treat me the same as when I was an active Mormon.

I think fear is sometimes what drives Mormons to behave badly. They're often taught that those outside of the church have a desire to pull them away from the church. They might fear and exclude non-members simply because they're taught to be wary of them. They don't understand that they're probably more alike than they are different. They might shun exmos because they fear that apostasy might be catching. Or in families, they might shun in order to get the apostate in line because they fear an eternity without all their family in the Celestial Kingdom.

Sometimes I wonder if some Mormons shun and exclude for no other reason than that they don't know how to be comfortable with people who are different than they are or have different beliefs than they do. They don't know what to say, so they say nothing or ignore and it comes across as a snub. It's not that they mean to be cruel, they just don't know how to be nice in every situation.

If the church is everything it claims, Mormons really should be better than the rest, but it just isn't the case. Mormonism does not create better people. The good people in the LDS church are good in spite of the religion rather than because of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 05:22PM by want2bx.

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 05:17PM

What a silly statement. You can insert the name of literally any group imaginable and say the same.

Many mormons are good. Some are bad. Just like any group of people.

Date: January 08, 2017 05:51PM

What a silly statement that many mormons are good. I guess you have been able to attend all the temple weddings then.

Sigh.... it's really hard to combat crap like this....

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: January 09, 2017 04:37PM

So you're redefining the word bad to mean someone who has been married in a mormon temple? You can't be serious.

Also, it's only hard to combat because you're on such thin ice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 04:38PM by kvothe.

Date: January 09, 2017 07:58PM

hmmmmmmm..

curious twist...

stating opinion as if it were fact.....

been on and off the board since after it shortly became available...

it truly has deteriorated into babble....

don't need to read babble anymore...

has become a cult of its own....

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 06:07PM

Thank you for your interest in chatting with a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
What would you like to talk about?

Now chatting with Hope

Now chatting with Hope & Clarina
H
Hi Tim, how are you?
2:37 PM

T
Hi I read on LDS.org that Joseph had 34 wives and 11 of them were married to other men at the time he married them.
2:38 PM
"Plural Marriage in Kirtland and Nauvoo"
and that 11 of them were teenagers, some as young as 14, when he was 36. Is that fact disclosed in the missionary discussions about Joseph Smith before people commit to baptism?
2:40 PM

H
When we teach people as missionaries, we share the simple basic gospel truths that Christ taught when He was here. Namely faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the holy ghost, and enduring to the end. You can find all kinds of things about Joseph Smith, but what is important is that we have a testimony that he truly was called of God to restore Christ's church. Do you believe Joseph Smith was a prophet?
2:42 PM

T
I'd want to know about that before being asked to sing his praises. Are you saying you withold that true history of Joseph's marriage history?
2:43 PM

H
See, this is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Not the church of Joseph Smith. We don't sing his praises or worship him. We worship
2:43 PM

T
You don't sing Praise To The Man?
2:44 PM

H
God and recognize Joseph as Gods servant. And no, we don't withhold any information.

T
So you tell people he married his follower's wives after sending them off on overseas missions?
Like he did to Henry Jacobs, because he wanted to make babies with Henry's wife Zina?
8 times.
That doesn't seem legal.

H
I see that your pretty against the prophet Joseph Smith. And I am not here to argue or try to convince you other than what you believe. But I will tell you that I know with a surety, that he was indeed called of God and was a prophet to bring back truths that we need to know to return to live with God again. He was not perfect, he was a human just like you. But he was Gods servant and we revere him as such. Is there anything else we can help you with today?
2:46 PM

T
Was there ever a law that allowed him and Brigham to marry their followers wives?
2:46 PM
You still there?
2:53 PM

H
I'm still here. Is there anything else we can help you with today?
2:54 PM

T
Yes, answer my serious question, "Was there ever a law that allowed JS and BY to 'marry' their follower's wives and if so, where was it written?"
2:54 PM

H
I'm sorry, I don't know the marriage laws.
2:55 PM

T
You don't know your own scriptures and you're a full time missionary? D&C 132:61, the law of the priesthood, does it condone or condemn marrying other men's wives?
2:56 PM
The 10 Commandments, do they condone or condemn marrying other men's wives and committing adultery with them?

H
As missionaries, we are not perfect teachers and don't know everything. We are simply here to help others increase their faith in Jesus Christ.
2:57 PM

T
The Law of the Land and common human decency should be enough to tell you it's wrong to marry other men's wives.

H
I'm sorry Tim, but what are you hoping to gain from this conversation?

T
Never, in all of Western Civilization has there been a law allowing a man to marry a woman who was already married to another man. how are you ok with singing the praises of a man who violated every law governing marriage, including the one he said he got straight from the mouth of God?
2:58 PM

H
Like I said before, I know he was a prophet of God. I know he did Gods work, and because of that, we can be with our families forever. We aren't here to argue. If there's nothing else we can help you with, we will let you go now. We hope you have a nice day.
2:59 PM

T
You could try honestly answering a sincere question, using logic instead of parroting what your mommy whispered in your ear at 2yo.
3:01 PM

The chat session has ended.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 06:19PM

If U steal from someone, U MUST make it right with TSCC before U can have a TR, etc.

In some cases, U DON'T have to do restitution to the victim.

LDS Church comes between their members & most everything else.

got it.

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 06:55PM

They may be honest about some things but they generally are incapable of honesty regarding religion at least, unless they take the time to analyze their church and its doctrines and history.

Are they honest with themselves? No. with others? They may think they are honest with others but really they are just "yes men" blindly obeying whatever they are told to do. It isn't quite the same as someone who lives through life without being given explicit directions on every aspect of life, who figures out his or her own steps and develops his or her own moral compass.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 07:02PM

I work with several mormons. They work during my hours and take my work. They tell me half truths. I've caught the person who trained me for 2 whole hours for my new job 2 months ago in many lies, but she does it so sweetly, I'm supposed to just buy what she says.

Anyway, the lady who works before me on Sundays just AGAIN worked 2 hours longer than she was supposed to. I'm so weary of reporting her to my boss that I'm not going to again. I know when she works, so I guess I'll just have to TAKE HER WORK.

My boss is great and is a mormon, but many of the women who work for her are not great. Even my "good friend" years ago would steal all the good work. She eventually got fired for doing so.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 07:36PM

One day I will receive the news that my Mormon father is now a good person.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 08:31PM

... except when it comes to exMormons. They tend to treat them terribly.

If there are some who treat exmormons nicely, they would generally have to be very liberal aka Jack Mos - because if they really sincerely believe TSCC, they will obediently treat all exmos with suspicion and even derision.

Or they're the type who may act politely in public but in their homes, or at church meetings, probably say the darndest things about them!

I've seen all kinds of TBMs who break the law, who don't break the law, who are rude to others, who are kind to others - but the majority are not very nice to exMormons in the sense that they are either afraid of them or try to bully them. Interesting that they should even think that bullying would work lol!!!!!

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 09, 2017 01:26AM

Who are "they"?

We sure have short memories. Weren't we Mormons?

If "Mormons are NOT good people", and we were all Mormons, then what does that make us? Permanently bad?

I did things as a Mormon I'm not proud of, but I learned and changed. It is possible that many of the current members can also.

Ironic that we criticize them for judging us, while we do the same of them. And they are what we once were. We can be the same people, just at different stages of life.

At any rate, the longer you hold anger and resentment, the longer you'll be in recovery, if that is what this forum is about.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: January 09, 2017 04:33PM

I am a much better person out of Mormonism. Mormonism brings out the worst in people. I was racist, homophobic, egocentric, misogynistic, and had a false sense of superiority compared to my non-Mormon counterparts. Mormonism made me selfish...I couldn't just do something good for someone else - there was always a ulterior motive.

So glad to be out of that wretched bottom feeding cult. I think this is what the OP is trying get across.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 09, 2017 10:04AM

The Earth's human population is about 7 billion. There's going to be good and bad people everywhere, and among mormons it's the same thing;however,for my DH, myself, and our children(now grown adults)the experience of living in the heart of the Kingdom of Morridor is one that can't be had anywhere else. We moved many years ago from a fairly "friendly ward" to one that has some of the most arrogant, self-righteous and demeaning people that you could shake a stick at. We used to think: "WTH have we done wrong?!" We figured prejudice was one of the things, because my husband is from South America, and God forbid that you get in a "mixed marriage". I had someone come up to me and ask me "what do you do to your daughter's hair?" (our middle daughter is very blonde) I said: " I wash it." Someone else said: " I didn't know you live HERE"! "Well WTH do you think we live?! Out in the landfill and commute out here?!" We've had vandalism done to our house, cars and yard. Shunning has increased since we stopped going to church, but I prefer that to the vandalism, which stopped some years ago.

Date: January 09, 2017 02:07PM

When people claim there are "good" Mormons, they are saying that these people are "in the church but not OF the church." I don't buy it.

If you align yourself completely with an organization that is misogynistic, homophobic and generally bigoted in every way, and encourages shunning of family members who do not tow the Mormon church line, can you really claim to be a good person? You may do some good, you may have some nice moments toward others, but isn't everything colored by your testimony that God himself wants the Mormon church to be doing the ugly things it does?

If you need to say, "This is Heavenly Father's will," in order to justify your actions, you are not a good person, no matter how many cookies you leave on doorsteps, how many cakes you bake, or even how many driveways you shovel.

If you want to be the complete package of goodness, you have to quit following the directives of the selfish 15 Mormon Celebrities and trust your own morality and sense of decency and inclusion. Then you have a shot.

I have heard Mormons say so many times, "So and so is a good person--even though they aren't Mormon." Well, I have to do the opposite when I am around Mormons.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: January 09, 2017 03:37PM

I believe that my wife, who is a convert, has always been a genuinely good person.

Mormonism has convinced her that she would be a bad person without it. Every time she slips up, I have to talk her off the ledge because she's afraid she has begun her fall into the outer darkness.

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: January 09, 2017 06:47PM

When people are trained, literally since birth, by their parents and other close family members to continuously be deceptive- there are ramifications.

One reason I do not do business with Mormons unless it is unavoidable.

Posted by: Tommy ( )
Date: January 09, 2017 11:58PM

I am much happier not associating with mormons (fake people). Fair weather fans while you are "with them"...you become the enemy they hate when you leave. They encourage others to shun you...that is cult behavior. The are rumor starters and spend sacrament meeting talking about others. And yes, mormonism made me racist with its teaching on skin tone and it leads to views that women are here to serve men only.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 03:15PM

There are a lot of people--all kinds, all religions, who are really NOT good people. I will admit, there seems to be a much larger percentage of them in mormondumb. However, I also maintain that some of the best people in the world (albeit deluded) are mormons. There really are some who truly care about other people, don't have a prejudicial bone in their bodies, and the "light of Christ" (love of humanity) shines very brightly. I don't know many, but I certainly do know a few.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 05:04PM

I always thought Elder B was a good man.

He was my companion.
He was the stereotypical (Canadian) nice person; always friendly & smiling.
He tried to do missionary work well.
After our missions, he asked me to be his best man at his wedding, which I did.
He became a doctor.
He's remained a faithful church member, as far as I know.

But when I tried to reconnect (after many years), he soundly rejected me for being gay, and for leaving the church.

He refused to talk religious or any other issues with me, even though I promised him I would not try to "deconvert" him (as if that were even possible). I really wanted him to understand where I stand, but he cut me off.

Makes me feel very sad to see his true colors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 05:06PM by PapaKen.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 06:24PM

I do know from experience that Mormons are generally *not* kind to nevermos.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 08:16PM

Some are, some aren't.

Sorry you are dealing with some aren'ts.

Posted by: Deb ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 01:54PM

I think by "good" what is sometimes meant is "honest" and good citizens. Even though that is what TBMs are taught to be, they actually can't be if they fall for Mormonism and realize it's false - since that's dishonesty.

Of course, people everywhere are just people, some good, some bad.

As far as TBMs, Matt, lots aren't kind to exmormons - especially their exmormon family. Why? The church itself teaches them to avoid "apostates" due to what they've been taught is sinning or otherwise very dangerous behavior (e.g. drinking wine like Jesus did lol, sipping tea, not going to church on Sundays or going to "the wrong church." You name it. A lot of everyday things within Mormonism are sins!

Otherwise, TBMs are just like everyone else, some good eggs, some bad.

In my experience, there is no across the board "they're good" people - some are and some aren't. Plenty of TBMs have broken laws, been involved in various crimes, been abusive however, plenty have not done such things and are honest.

But when it comes to relationships with Exmos, they suck! Vast majority don't know how to deal with exmormons, family members in particular.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 08:30PM

LOL@done & done!! I like that!

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 02:24PM

Mormons are found in U.S. Gov't jobs that require secrecy and deception because Mormonism is based on secrecy and deception.

Posted by: pickleweed ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 09:36PM

Bert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons are found in U.S. Gov't jobs that require
> secrecy and deception because Mormonism is based
> on secrecy and deception.

I can 100% vouch for this statement.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 08:21PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 08:21PM by severedpuppetstrings.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 08:25PM

I haven't seen a good one yet.
Even my mormon bishop FIL was constantly trying to involve me in his MLM scams.

Posted by: pickleweed ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 09:35PM

Being isolated and living in a foreign country with the military, being shunned was my biggest fear,and being love-bombed and helped from all directions was my reason for joining in the first place.
I fired up the PlayStation 4, bought some new games and sent my resignation email ten minutes ago.
I just hope they don't gossip about me and spread rumors around my husband's workplace. That would be awful. :-( he's a neverMo and can't stand them but he loves his reputation and will be angry if the civi and mil-morms start gossiping. They're practically 50% of the whole unit! It's scary.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.