Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 10:20AM

I really want to purchase an RV and go somewhere two or three times a month for 4 or 5 days at a time. Commune with the comic book gods. I almost bought a 5th wheel but decided it was too big. Now I am leaning towards an Airstream (cost a lot more).

If you have an RV, what do you prefer? 5th wheel, Airstream, regular travel trailer or a converted horse trailer? I forgot to add toy hauler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2017 10:32PM by themaster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 10:30AM

I am weighing the possibility of putting wheels under my home after retirement as well.

My final selection of what will constitute my rolling manor is based on these factors roughly in this order:

1 Best possible gas mileage
2 A superior bed
3 A decent, useable kitchen
4 A shower that is not the 5lb bag to my 10 lb body
5 Reasonable storage
6 Cost that doesn't require a mortgage payment

Sigh. It wont be easy to find what will work for me.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 10:56AM

We owned two Airstream trailers (not at the same time, of course!l). They were very nice, and we loved them. They are worth the extra cost over a cheapie, especially if you are going to be traveling a lot.

Be sure to get a tow vehicle that can handle pulling it.
Don't get one that is too long to back comfortably. Ours were 24 ft and 26 ft. A friend nad a 33 footer that was a monster to tow, and unnecessarily large.

Try to get one with a built-in generator.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 11:08AM

* Great idea!
* I've both owned and rented, and would suggest renting a couple options first and see which you prefer. Of course, the big trade-off is ease of handling vs. accommodations. I found to my surprise that I could easily survive inside something a lot smaller that I'd thought--hence something easier and cheaper to lug around.
* The more you'll be on the road, the less time you'll want to be spending hooking the thing up. Conversely if you plan to go somewhere and park it for a long time then an actual trailer instead of an RV is the way to go so you can use the truck/car separately.
* Make sure the insulation, heating, and A/C are appropriate for where/when you plan to use it.
* I bought mine off Craigslist, used, and saved a bundle. But I didn't know what I was doing so I paid the manager of an RV repair/supply joint $40 to inspect it before I handed over the cash. (I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.)

Posted by: NowayJoe ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 11:12AM

If I were an Apostle I'd buy one of these (this ones used)

$375K

http://earthroamer.com/consignment/xv-lt-154-lean-mean-off-road-machine/

Meets all the requirements except price

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 06:47PM

I have to laugh because I actually saw one of those a couple days ago.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 11:37AM

We have been using trailers for 30 years. We currently are retired and are gone about half the time, mostly in the West, about half time off-grid and half time in campgrounds with hookups. Be careful to check the weights before buying anything. RV sales staff are legendary for telling people their current vehicle will haul anything on the lot. Look at the yellow sticker on the door of your current vehicle. Compare it to the max weight of the trailer, not the dry weight. Then add some margin because you will need it! We have a 3/4 ton diesel truck now, and it is sooooooo much easier to tow our trailer even though our 1/2 ton officially could manage.

Fifth wheels take a big truck, usually a 1 ton because the pin weight is so much. You also have to climb stairs all the time because of the bed location. They are frequently good on storage because most of them are designed for longer term usage than what you describe.

Travel trailers come in all flavors from cheap ones that will rattle apart after a few years to really nice ones that will last for many years with appropriate maintenance. If you want to camp off-grid, you will need as big of holding tanks as you can manage. Our 24' trailer has 40 gallon fresh water, dual 40 gallon gray water(shower, sinks), and 40 gallon black water (toilet) tanks. I also recommend looking at a heated underbelly (to keep pipes from freezing down to the 20s) and good insulation. Double pane windows are nice too. This things help you in hot or cold weather.

All RV require routine maintenance of sealants, especially roofs. Water damage from failed sealants is the primary cause of problems. It isn't hard to do, just climb up on the roof a couple of times a year, check things out, and reseal as needed using the appropriate sealant.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 11:48AM

I believe a 5th tows better for those who will do lots of traveling, but mind the weight to power ratios. Most ppl will do well with a 3/4 ton truck.

As far as cost is concerned, don't overlook well maintained used combinations.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 12:26PM

We love camping. We did a lot of shopping for just the right units until we found our dream home on wheels and tow vehicle. I like to pull 5th wheels. Easier hookup, easier towing than a bumper pull and 5th wheels give you much more usable space in a given length IMHO. Both our 3/4 ton truck and 29.5' 5th wheel are 2008 models and we have 1/3 as much invested in them compared to new prices for the pair. They will last us as long as we are able to go camping.

RB

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 01:23PM

Toy hauler so that you can take everything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.