Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hamster On A Wheel ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 03:51PM

Okay not currently active, going through some stuff as some of you may remember.

Recently found out I have a new HT partnership, which apparently includes my bishop. I've never known a bishop to HT is this common?

More ominously they're wanting to visit tomorrow (Sunday) late evening which I find a bit disconcerting.

My Spidey senses are saying this is going to either be "we have a calling to get you active again" or "we are calling a court of love"

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:15PM

Had been inactive for quite a while, my husband had left me. I even kind of knew this guy as I worked in the same place as him for a while. I allowed him to come once under a lot of begging and he asked me to give a prayer. I said, "No." I never allowed him to come again.

He and his wife would walk about the same time of day as I did. I just had to get by where they were walking. If I saw them, I went the other way. If he ever caught me, he'd beg for my phone number (as I had a new unlisted one). Nice guy, just didn't want to be bothered.

He actually had been inactive into his 50s and was a co-owner of the local bar until someone roped him back into the church and he was bishop when I moved in this house, then SP.

Posted by: Hamster on a Wheel ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:22PM

Don't even joke! I definitely don't want the SP - we have too much of a love hate relationship as it is.

I feel so sick over this.

Date: March 18, 2017 04:38PM

I don't feel I can. Especially not with it being the bishop.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:15PM

All the bishops complied.

There are a few things that do happen when you resign. They quit assigning you HTs. No fast offering boys showing up.

But, yes, the SP was my HT.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:35PM

Say "No."

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:52PM

You have good spidey senses my money is on the calling or just plain intimidation.

Date: March 18, 2017 05:08PM

Intimidation?

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:55PM

Don't answer the phone, watch TV in the dark on Sunday evening...and if they do manage to catch up with you, say "No, thank you."

Posted by: dodo ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:16PM

Your posting is just too close to home for me, and since you asked, I'll give my two cents.

In my experience, the Bishop doesn't normally have a regular home teaching family every month unless it is a "delicate" situation and he/they don't trust a regular priesthood boner to go visit. (No offense Boner). Back in the day when I refused to allow home teachers to come around I was given to the Bishop to visit. He came once in a while, and it was always to get me to come back. I only let them inside of my house one time. And yes, they wanted to offer a prayer. I let them, but from then on they did their visit at the door.

In your case, as I read it, the Bishop is coming to try to reactivate you. I think if it was for a Court of Loveliness, they would show up unannounced and it would be the Bishop and a High Council member or Stake President. If the two men who visit you are both Big Guns, then worry. If it's just the Bishop and another man from the ward, I wouldn't worry too much. How you handle it will dictate how they handle you. In either case, you are the decider of how the visit goes and if you allow them to control your destiny they will do just that.

Personally, I would let them come and I would be cordial as long as they respected me in my own house. If things start to go South, then stand up and go open the door. Don't respond by saying anything, that will be used against you later. If they are too dense to catch the hint, then go into another room and they will eventually leave.

Date: March 18, 2017 05:41PM

Well the one who hasn't changed was Stake Executive Secretary but is now second counsellor in the bishopric. Plus the bishop.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 08:53PM

> "If things start to go South, then stand up and go open the door. Don't respond by saying anything, that will be used against you later. If they are too dense to catch the hint, then go into another room and they will eventually leave." >

I love that suggestion! Go into another room

Hello

Um...

Goodbye

lol

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:48PM

He thinks he can persuade you to pay, pray and obey.

Date: March 18, 2017 05:52PM

Maybe I don't know. They know I travel my own path.

Date: March 19, 2017 10:36AM

I've told them they can come. I would wind myself up too much if I didn't have them visit, wondering why I had suddenly ended up with the bishop.

Anxiety levels at a massive high. Drinks at the ready for once they've gone.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 01:48PM

Good luck, be polite but very firm on where you stand.
Please return and report.

Date: March 19, 2017 07:23PM

Mmm. Well return and report. They came, on time, we had a chast about some mutual interests (as in not religion related), bishop shared a scripture, closed with prayer, interacted with the kids. No preaching, lecturing or demands.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 07:36PM

They're playing the long game. But you already knew that.

Date: March 19, 2017 08:49PM

You didn't say how they contacted you in the first place. We assume it was by telephone.

You know, they are gathering intelligence. That's why having them encounter you in the yard (working) is best, or in your office, (busy) is also an option. Or with non-mormon company, just for kicks.

Question: when do you plan on stopping the visits? Usually you don't know... and then you know, and they [must] end/ be ended! Just a suggestion (for anyone in this situation), always be prepared - who will be there, what should happen (songs, "lessons"/ conversations/ farts, skits, acts, prayers, etc., and, if so, by whom). This way, the HTs won't lead, but you will! Remember who is in charge - #1!

Update: seeing how the visit went, it's EXACTLY how I thought it would (if you permitted) - seen it many times.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 09:58PM

Sounds like they're taking the friendly approach to gain your confidence, rather like lulling you into a false sense of security so that you'll come to look on them as friends hoping that you'll think they really care about you. Otherwise known as love bombing.
When I stopped attending church I suddenly had "friends" coming out of the woodwork that didn't know I had. Sending me chatty emails etc like we were best mates. Very strange that, especially as they'd probably only spoke about twenty words to me over the previous twenty years!
I couldn't believe they thought I'd be stupid enough to fall for it. I'd been a member long enough to know what goes on when somebody stops attending.....

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 08:37AM

There is no law that says you must admit visitors upon their request. You can refuse to answer the door, or if you do open it, refuse to admit the bishop. You could say something like, "Hello, Bishop. I'm not interested in church visitors now or any time within the foreseeable future. I'm inactive and happy with that status. Have a pleasant evening." Then shut the door.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 01:56PM

Many years ago, I home taught with the bishop. We went to "hardcore" inactives (so you may want to consider this a compliment!). Remember, they only have power over you if YOU give it to them.

If you want the visit, then invite them in and don't let them pressure you (you can always say hmmmm...I'll think about things). If you really don't want them over, call now and tell them--no visitors! You always hold the cards, they have absolutely no authority over you.

Posted by: dodo ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 07:35PM

Thank you Hamster for returning and reporting. I have been wondering what was going to happen and now I can go back to playing solitaire. It looks like you have skated past what could have been a difficult visit.

Posted by: ERICKA ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 08:23PM

Time to give the bishop a personal call. Tell him you don't want HT's. He will ask why, so be prepared for that. Don't make it about him.

I did this with VT's. They started sending me cards which I threw out. Then, they started showing up. I reminded them I am on the no visit list. They showed up unannounced again. That time I closed the door in their face. Haven't seen anyone since. That was about 2 years ago.

Date: March 19, 2017 08:26PM

No, it's fairly common for them to home-preach too. It's his assignment. Whether he assigned himself or not is to be determined. ALWAYS meet Mormons on the porch. Their place IS NOT inside your home. I wouldn't worry about his agenda - IT IS YOUR HOME - as YOU SHOULD ALWAYS take charge (of the 'meeting' - if it happens at all). Do what you want: be absent, tell them the truth, charm them, hose them, whatever.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.