Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 08:46PM

Anybody know?

Couldn't find a link to SS Death Index that wasn't operated by Family Search (COJCoLDS) or Ancestry, etc.

Didn't used to be that way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 09:32PM

It was released after a certain number of years by the government. Our death records will also be released after a certain amount of time, too. Source: Used to work for Ancestry.com.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 11:13PM

The public used to be able to access the Death Index directly. I know, because I did it many times, from home. It was perfectly legal to do this.

I think it's frustrating that you can't access it directly now, without going through Ancestry or some other party.

Posted by: Indexer ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 11:14PM

Family Search and Ancestry are gold mines to identity thieves.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 09:58AM

You *can* access/search the SSDI on-line without having to go through those folks:

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-description.jsp?s=5057&cat=all&bc=sl

It's public information. Those companies took the public information, copied it, put it in an easy-to access form, and made it available. They're allowed to do so, no matter how annoying it is :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 09:59AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 12:50PM

Thanks, Hie!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 04:29PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, Hie!

You're welcome :)

Ancestry & Family search have rigged the search results so they come up over and over again in the google top 100, making the government one really hard to find. :(

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 07:01PM

are not directly available to the public, which is a very good thing. Both are treasure-troves for potential identity thieves. Also, there are insurance companies who would sell their souls to get at those disability records. We were always warned about this.

Every once in a while, some employee would get busted - and usually got jail time - for having absconded with disability records and sold them to insurance companies. The vast majority of us never even considered it.

You would be amazed - even horrified - at the amount of personal information that can be accessed with Social Security information.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 10:04AM

This is semi OT but did anyone get their DNA tested?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 09:28PM by seamaiden.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:04AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 10:05AM by seamaiden.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 12:22PM

I'd like to but haven't yet.

Ancestry was/(is?) offering 10% off as a promotion.

I'm leaning towards 23 and me to do mine. They're about the same price. 23&me seems to be more geared to what I'd want from a DNA test.

Ancestry seems way too commercial and generic to me. Plus, I've heard more complaints about Ancestry than the other one.

Date: March 24, 2017 06:00PM

I used 23andme and was really happy with the service I got. I won't subscribe to ancestry do to LDS..

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 12:12PM

When I saw that thread title, I thought "SS Death Index!? WTF!?!?"

I thought it was going to be another story about Helen Radkey suing over Holocaust BFD's again....

Posted by: kak75 aka kak57 ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 06:55PM

The latest I read on Social Security Death Index was that the appropriate authorities are no longer posting SS death entries shortly after their deaths on the list any more. Due to apparent identity theft concerns, they are posted on the list three years after their deaths.

This explained why I couldn't see someone's father and mother on the SSDI shortly after their deaths and even after checking again some months later.

The next time you search the SSDI, just keep in mind the three year delay.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.