Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 10:08AM

Cute cartoon on yesterday's "Non Sequitur" strip:

http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2017/04/28?ct=v&cti=1016503

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 05:45PM

Thanks for the funny, RPackham.

:)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 06:06PM

Ha ha

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 06:29PM

If there was a god, that's probably how he'd feel.

Date: April 30, 2017 07:38PM

"Deism: A religion whose followers
believe in a God who created the
universe, established its rules of
behavior, set it going, left, and
hasn't been seen since.

Quotation by Albert Einstein:

It was directed to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein in 1929, and describes the essence of Deism:
"I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

Overview:

The word "Deism" is derived from the Latin word for God: "Deus."

Deism is a natural religion. Deists believe in the existence of God, on purely rational grounds, without any reliance on revealed religion, religious authority, or holy text. Because of this, Deism is quite different from religions like Judaism, Christianity and Islam. The latter are largely based on revelations that Jews, Christians and Muslims believe mostly came from God to prophet(s) who then taught it to humans.

We like to call natural religions by the title "bottom-up" faiths because they were created by humans about God; we refer to revealed religions as "top-down" because their followers believe that they were created by God and delivered to humans.

One faith that is opposite of Deism is Atheism, which is the lack of a belief in the existence of a god or gods. Another seen in the beliefs of most Theists who conceive of God as a deity who is all-present, all-powerful, all-loving, all-knowing and has a personal interest in every human on Earth."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/deism.htm

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 01:34AM

Atheism is not a faith.

Atheism is called a faith by people that can not understand living without a faith based belief system.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 03:26AM

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 09:13AM

Thomas Paine, the American Revolutionary writer and pamphleteer, was also a deist. He wrote "The Age of Reason," a very critical appraisal of the old and new testaments, but finished up saying "the Word of God is in the nature we behold." For example, when you plant a seed and it grows, that's enough of a miracle right there. He was also very much into eighteenth-century astronomy: a variation of "the heavens declare the glory of G-d" approach.

I quoted some of this to the missionaries in 1979, but they were not impressed.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 12:45AM

Have hung out with him at several cartoonist association conventions throughout the years. Love his clean and expressive style. In person, he laughs easily, but don't let that wide grin fool you. Behind it is a man of deep conviction.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2017 12:49AM by steve benson.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 01:30AM

From Venezuela to Cuba to Berkeley to Greenwich Village to Madison to Boston to Pyongyang, The Red Flag will be raised high to celebrate Marxist-Leninism, which killed more people in the 20th Century than all religious wars combined.

Me? at 4:30 EDT, I'll be spilling my own blood for another cause--at the Red Cross donor center.

Date: May 01, 2017 10:07PM

Happy May Day back atcha, Caffiend!

Dance the Maypole?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 10:47PM

Only if BYU Boner joins me, and we do it naked in the sunshine.

(Edit): I'm getting older, and so are my veins, the phlebotomist had didn't the needle in my vein right, the drip stopped, so I didn't get the donation finished. And all I wanted to do was "go with the flow!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2017 10:49PM by caffiend.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 09:58AM

so true, more wars have been started and fought for the illusion of religion than anything else.

Date: May 02, 2017 10:04AM

I'm not so sure about that, poopstone.

"Concerning atheism and mass murder, Christian apologist Gregory Koukl wrote that "the assertion is that religion has caused most of the killing and bloodshed in the world. There are people who make accusations and assertions that are empirically false. This is one of them."[1] Koukl details the number of people killed in various events involving theism and compares them to the much higher tens of millions of people killed under atheistic communist regimes, in which militant atheism served as the official doctrine of the state.[1] See also: Atheism and communism

Communist regimes killed 60 million in the 20th century through genocide, according to Le Monde, more than 100 million people[2] according to The Black Book of Communism (Courtois, Stéphane, et al., 1997).[3] and according to Cleon Skousen[4] in his best-selling book The Naked Communist.[5]
It is estimated that in the past 100 years, governments under the banner of atheistic communism have caused the death of somewhere between 40,472,000 and 259,432,000 human lives.[6] Dr. R. J. Rummel, professor emeritus of political science at the University of Hawaii, is the scholar who first coined the term democide (death by government). Dr. R. J. Rummel's mid estimate regarding the loss of life due to communism is that communism caused the death of approximately 110,286,000 people between 1917 and 1987.[7]"

http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_Mass_Murder

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 11:02AM

Thanks for the statistics.

What a ringing endorsement for theists! "We theists have killed millions of people in the name of our loving God, but not as many as the wicked atheists!"

Date: May 02, 2017 11:16AM

Neither side has clean hands.

Evil people feign religion as a ruse, as do some Atheists use their ideology to absolve themselves of abuse.

There are good and bad people on both sides. Dehumanizing people is what leads to wars and genocides with moral certainty and turpitude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2017 11:26AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 12:32PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Atheists use their ideology to absolve themselves
> of abuse.

Atheism doesn't have any ideology.

And those "statistics" you quoted from a "christian apologist" are flat-out bullshit.

Somehow "atheism" gets blamed for millions of people who starved in the Soviet Union because Stalin was a greedy dictator who bought into nonsense pseudo-science regarding plant genetics, and didn't give a crap about his people. That's not even remotely honest.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.