Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 10:11AM

I feel badly for it, and wonder what will be said/what was said after we left my TBM daughter and SIL. We went to an air show Saturday, and as we were entering and gawping at an ongoing aerial display, my 10 year-old grandson walked in front of me, and we locked feet. Feeling myself helplessly going down on concrete, I muttered, "F***ck!" It wasn't very loud, but wasn't faint, either. I'm sure everyone heard, despite the noise of the crowd and aircraft engines. And to be fair, I did injure my foot in a bid to stop the fall. Still... Can't help but feel badly about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 11:07AM by cludgie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 10:27AM

Don't feel bad. Secretly they liked it. Grandpa has an edge!

When I was a young adult I was driving with my two youngest siblings in the car. They were maybe 6 and 8. Someone cut me off and not being used to having them in the car I used every curse word available and I knew them all well. Full voice. The shock on their faces was something I will never forget.

Nowadays, though, it is a fun story to recall even though they are TBM.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 10:27AM

Once can hardly be considered that bad. And the circumstances can be cited in mitigation.-)

Shouldn't worry too much - except about the foot.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 10:30AM

My kids liked it when they caught me swearing because it meant that I had to take them to Iceberg drive-in as atonement.
They caught me very seldom.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 10:44AM

Adam said "F-dash-dash-dash" the day after he decided not to take on the angel with the flaming sword.

Trust me on this.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 01:47PM

Maybe if my daughter had kids, she wouldn't bring them over. She used to be the one who said that word the most of any of us, then she found religion.

My dad cussed all the time. One time when we were young, my mom was at a stop sign trying to get across main street. My older sister said, "Just saw what dad says, he always gets across."

We have a lot of family stories about his cussing.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 02:09PM

One of the things that helps make us Mormons super special people is that we don't use profanity. Some of the phrases in common vocabulary include:

What the Fuzz!!
Oh fetch!!
What the fuh!! (note: no consonants at the end)
Oh shiz!!

I am so gosh darned sad at how these exmormon axeholes and cuns will use shizzy fuzzed up butchy profanity.

Posted by: Lost in Utah ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 02:59PM

My mom used to secretly say sh*t when she thought nobody was listening. The first time I ever said it (age 11), I waited to be striken by the unholy and mighty weak slim arm of Jeebus, but nothing happened, so I graduated to higher linguistic forms. I try not to say the F word in front of my granddaughter, but I know her dad says it regularly (nonTBM), so I don't sweat it, even though my daughter has a cow (but I also know she says it).

It's just a flippin word, for Effs sakes.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 03:52PM

Next time you get the urge to swear, simply recite every word of this sermon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljzFDLl7EZ0

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 03:59PM

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 11:05AM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 08:58PM

It's okay; it was only a word. When my son dropped one, I didn't know who was more surprised--me or him! Falling or getter hurt is a pretty good reason to cuss. I hope all is well with the leg!

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 09:04PM

Why is the word for enjoyable sexual intercourse considered profanity?

Seems like profanity should be something disgusting, like the word for fecal matter. That makes more sense.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 11:18AM

Blasphemy = religious exclamations ("Jesus H. Christ!")
Scatology = bodily elimination exclamations ("Piss, shit and corruption!")
Obscenity = sex related exclamations ("Fuck!")

Interestingly German culture is big on scatology, Romance language speakers are big on blasphemy (they really have some creative expletives), and English speakers are big on obscenity -- but not very creatively.

I-have-no-explanation-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 09:13PM

My gramma's favorite covers about anything:

"$h!t, shoot, and shucks!"

Optional: You can add at the end.
"And Shiz and Shinola!!"

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 01:10AM

Sometimes the little fuckers get in the way.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 03:01AM

A bunch o' seminary kids came home with our sons one day, and for some reason, in front of everybody, Grandma took her sock off. Her foot was gangrenous! I couldn't believe my eyes! I screamed that word! I couldn't help it!

Those kids laughed hysterically. I was treated poorly at church after that.

But, no one called to see how grandma's foot was.

Btw, how is your foot doing, Cludgie?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 01:44PM

I'll bet real money it's not the first time those kids have heard that word.
Nor will it be the last.

And like somebody said above, it shows "grandpa is edgy!"
Maybe you planted a vocabulary seed..."grandpa says f**k, and I still love him, and he's great. Hmm..."

:)

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 03:35PM

In my family the two fav uncles are the ones who are fun, authentic, and let slip out a swear word or two when the situation demands it.

And, by the way, these two are not religious, that is they do not attend any church. I get a kick out of watching the scenes play out and secretly smile at what might be going through the kids over-righteous parents' minds. Then I think.....this is just what might change and bring freedom to their parents.....one can only hope!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 03:37PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 03:52PM

The next time one of the group utters the same term maybe they'll forgive you for your reactionary miscue? I have occasionally overreacted with a regrettable zinger because of unforeseeable, uncomfortable circumstances! Sorry, it isn't easy being a human being! In other words, perfection is illusive - don't worry yourself about it! Everyone swears from time to time - they'll have to get over it too! And - life will go on!

This might help you in your recovery! Missionaries meet their match! - at the doorâ–¶ 0:42. As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0p4_GGDbS0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 03:59PM by tnurg.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 04:53PM

It happens to the best of us. My sister had an accident at home and let out the F word so loud, she wonders if our TBM neighbors heard it.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 02:30PM

I've already commented but remembered a funny story I want to share. So the small son, just barely four, of one of the "fav" uncles was more than tired from a long airplane ride that brought him to Salt Lake. We, his Dad, me (his granny), and him were in a van attempting to locate the site of his cousin's soccer game. He was wiggly, and whiny and just wanted to get out and run off some energy.

Suddenly, he looked up at his Dad and shouted, "Dad! This is taking too fuckin' long!"

I couldn't have said it better myself. Sometime the F-word is "the" word in my book!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 02:31PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 10:58AM

One time I was in some kind of conversation with my grown daughter and we were trading sarcasatic barbs, knowing we were not being serious but she said something and I said, "fuck you." My granddaughter sternly said, "Gramma, you said a bad word!"

So I said, "I know, I hate that. Can you believe your mommy made me say such a bad word? What kind of mommy would do something like that?"

My daughter was giving me that "OK, you win" kind of look and I was trying not to laugh hysterically and the rest of the day her daughter (somewhere around 3 or 4, can't remember) was giving her mother hell for making gramma say bad words.

Daughter finally piped up with "Damn! Now look, you're making me say them." My granddaughter started crying and apologizing and I felt like shit cause she felt bad for something that started with me. So I had to finally own it and tell her she was right for calling me out on it and no one makes us say things if we know better. I had to turn to my daughter and say "OK, YOU win."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.