Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 01:53AM

BYU Boner,

I went through with baptism just to get a TR and see the temple. I already know how to work the tithing system so that I can pay a single digit amount of money to the church HQ. Question is: how do I go about telling the church HQ in SLC politely not to disclose the amount of my tithing to my bishop? I don't want to be too forward about it. I want to say it just right.

Everyone else is welcomed to answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2017 01:53AM by canary21.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 02:16AM

Thanks for the shout out, Canary. I'm hoping others here have a better answer. I don't know if you can hide the amount you paid to headquarters from the bishop. I've never been a bishop, so I don't know what types of records they have access to.

Are there any former ward clerks or bishops who can help up out?

Here's one strategy--the bishop asks if you're a full tithe payer. The expected answer is yes. So, if he asks, just say yes. If he questions you, just respond that you prefer to pay your tithing yearly in one lump sum at December's tithing settlement. And remember, tithing is paid on your increase. No one really knows how many members fudge on their tithing, and I've known quite a few TBMs who insist tithing is paid on their net, not on their gross. They've had recommends.

After you see the temple, and experience the ceremony, you can decide if the temple recommend is worth the money, time, and talents the church expects. Very best wishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2017 02:17AM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 12:56PM

I'm cheating the tithing system. I wouldn't dream of giving them anything more than a single digit sum a month and I already know I can get away it seeing that SLC HQ cannot disclose my tithing to my bishop because with them, I have that option. I just want to be polite about it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 01:15PM

>> SLC HQ cannot disclose my tithing

That used to be the case. I'm not sure if it's still true. Hopefully a board member can weigh in.

Posted by: Hwint ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 04:26PM

IIRC bishops are not supposed to vary from the script in TR and tithing settlement unless a member gives an equivocal answer or asks for a definition.

Don't Volunteer info and they have no reason to ask follow ups. Do you pay a full tithe? Yes. The end. No more info. Do you follow the law of chastity? Yes. Never say "well, what is a full tithe?" This gives them ammo and requires a longer discussion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.