Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 09:44AM

...our findings to date have already brought about a far greater understanding of the identity of Old World residents, and our goal is now to reconstruct the full 'Human Atlas' showing ancient migration patterns worldwide...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170528192059.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 09:53AM

Oh, you betcha.
They're so excited that these new tools will show no 600BC-era Jewish DNA in any Native Americans.
Just like the current tools.

More work for LDS apologists, to come up with more excuses to "believe" the BoM.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 11:44AM

Yes there may be some who claim to be apologists who will try to put together some explanations to support the opinions of these scientists. But those people couldn't possibly be real apologists because they are liars and deceitful people. What the real apologists will be doing is clearly pointing out where the scientists' opinions are out of harmony with what the Church has taught. For starts, the Book of Mormon makes it very clear that until the time of Columbus that the American continent was preserved for the descendants of the groups who came from Jerusalem around 600BCE & that they had come to the Americas which had been emptied of people due to the woes of the Jaredites concluding with the events around when Shiz had his head chopped off by Coriantumr in the Americas while Laban had his head chopped off by Nephi in Jerusalem. Thus its up to science to conform itself to getting its answers correct as long as we are to assume that Joseph Smith was correct that the Book of Mormon was the most correct book on earth.

I think its important to note that the Book of Mormon "was" the most correct book on earth. That distinction might certainly change depending on what happens when our beloved Russell M. Nelson signs his next megabucks book deal to impart upon all people some marvelous teachings. But regardless of how correct the next Nelson book is there is no doubt, presuming that Mormonism is true, that the Book of Mormon is super correct beyond just about any book ever.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 05:53PM

Not only does the DNA science not support Jewish Indians and Jaredite submarines (tight like unto a dish), 23 and me and the other DNA companies are wreaking havoc on Adam and Eve by reporting that 1000s of TBMs have neanderthal DNA.

Science 2 - LDS INc 0

Posted by: CowboyUp ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 10:23AM

RESEARCH VERSUS THE BOOK OF MORMON
THE RESULTS: Testing of mitochondrial DNA (can accurately pinpoint back through hundreds of generations) of over 5500 persons from over 150 native American tribes in North, South and Central America and Greenland, has revealed a total absence of any DNA markers to tie the native Americans to Israelites; the markers instead tie these people in 99.4% of cases to North and East Asian people (Siberia, Mongolia). The other 0.6% of markers point to European or African extraction. (Post-Columbian lineage) The Smithsonian Institution has stated for decades, and this information confirms, that the native Americans migrated from Asia, most likely across the Bering Strait (to Alaska) to populate the Americas. http://www.mormonsinshock.com/DNABOM.htm
DNA evidence, NONE.
Researchers:
Dr. David Glen Smith did 30 years of work on native Indian DNA; U.C. Davis, California
Dr. Dennis O’Rourke, Molecular Anthropologist, Univ. of Utah (Ancient DNA researcher)
Dr. Randall Shortridge, Ph.D Molecular Biologist, U. at Buffalo, NY
Thomas Murphy, Mormon Anthropologist, & Chairperson , Edmonds Comm. Col., Lynnwood, WA,
Trent Stephens, Ph.D, Id. State U, Biologist and LDS scholar
Dr. Stephen Whittington, Molecular Anthropologist, U. of Maine
Dr. Simon Southerton, Ph. D., Molecular Biologist, former LDS Bishop
Dr. John McLaughlin, Linguist, Utah State University

LOL.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 11:08AM

Joseph Smith said the Book of Mormon is the most correct book on earth and it looks like these scientists are clearly contradicting that sacred resource that Joseph Smith said is the most correct. The prophet has spoken and the debate is over within this most open-minded humble society of Mormons :) You can know for yourself that what the LDS prophets say is always true by finding out for yourself whether or not the LDS church is the true church or not. How can we know if its true? Well obviously if its true then its always tried super hard to be the most honest and transparent organization in the world history. For example, just look at how honest and transparent it has always tried to be about finances, statistics, and history with the membership & not trying to put anyone on guilt trips for suggesting that they should be anything else.

Use Moroni 10:3-5 and read/ponder all you can about that last sentence of mine. Then go pray with an open mind and open heart saying "Dear God I have read and pondered plenty about whether or not the LDS church has always tried to be completely honest and transparent on everything" and then I believe you should receive confirmation on what the truth is :) I can't speak for anyone else but I can tell you that my life has been greatly blessed as a result. For starts on the law of tithing I used to guess on how much I'd pay in the year ahead. Now I have sure knowledge on exactly how much I'll be sending to the Church each year so in that regard I'm sorta prophetic ;)

I testify that affirmative testimonies about the church being true shall be borne whenever people come away from such an honest investigation saying "gosh what a super honest and transparent Church and I want to learn more". One of the greatest missionary tools ever, even more valuable than the Book of Mormon being the most correct book on historical and spiritual matters ever, is to be able to proclaim that the church is sincerely trying super hard to be the most honest and transparent organization ever with initiatives such as the Correlation program focused on getting all the facts/truth out as fast as possible so people can see the miracle of continuing revelation & lack of contradictions go forth with lightning speed.

I predict that for some reason that some naysayers may form the opinion that the Church is not completely honest and transparent on everything. In such cases these people will miss out on the wondrous blessings that the law of tithing, church assignments, glorious church sermons, prohibition on non-government-paperwork-valid sex, green tea & other sinful foods, constant feeling that you are under loving 24/7 surveillance on all your thoughts/actions by the angels in heaven in preparation for Judgment Day, and numerous other things related to Mormonism brought upon the LDS faithful. Instead of having the church managing everything in their lives they'll have to find something else to control their lives instead.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 10:25AM

True Science (including DNA studies) will always be in harmony with TSCC teachings.

Fake science, or science in progress, may go down a few research dead ends following flawed conclusions that are not in agreement with God's One True Church.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 10:45AM

Mass migration. Of course. It's all so clear now. The Nephites and Lamanites loaded up all their belongings in their chariots and with their elephants, cureloms, and cummoms in tow and headed back across the Bearing straight which was not so straight by now and they built a bridge with their steel swords. Mass migrations were all the rage at the time and they didn't want to be left out! They didn't disappear, they just updated.

You're welcome, Mormon apologists.

Some people have "fake news" and others have "fake history." So great. So great.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 11:56AM

Don't underestimate Lehi's family. They had superhuman strength and a now-extinct breed of racing camels. They made a two week journey in three days. Not to mention Nephi lopping off a human head with a sword and busting the ropes bad old Lemuel (the name of a neighbor Joe hated) had him tied up with. Maybe coca leaves were indigenous to the Middle East back then.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 02:22PM

Our resident PhD genticist, Simon Southerton, authored a chapter in the peer-reviewed online chapter of the "Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration."

I was privileged--even though I am not a DNA scientist, only a layman with a strong interest in the subject and an aptitude for science--to preview an early draft of the article and offer feedback. Simon wanted my feedback on "his message," and he's a quick study in writing skills.

http://simonsoutherton.blogspot.com/2013/07/encyclopedia-of-global-human-migration.html

>A couple of years ago I was invited to write a chapter on the colonization of the Americas for an upcoming encyclopedia on human migration. Volume 1 of the encyclopedia, which includes my chapter, was recently published and should soon be available either electronically or in printed form in major public and university libraries. I have posted some excerpts from my chapter that may be of interest to readers who once held erroneous views on the subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 02:23PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 02:35PM

PLEASE!

it's No Longer 'fake news', it's Alternate Truth(s).

Besides, (I ask again:) What is 'Jewish DNA'?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 04:12PM

GNPE1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Besides, (I ask again:) What is 'Jewish DNA'?

Point taken, and you're spot-on. I shouldn't have used that term.
Because there's no such thing.

I should have said, "DNA that can trace their ancestry back to 600BCE-era Israel."

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 05:17PM

Whew! I started reading that article, and when I got to "Dr. Umberto Esposito" my brain automatically jumped to "Dr. Ugo Perego"--not the guy you'd want working on this!

But I'm sure he will find a way to tweak the info....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.