Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drink up ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 08:47AM

How widespread is the fact that you cannot drink coffee in Utah office buildings ? Never Mo external consultants have mentioned this to me. I thought Utah was becoming less mormon, so I'm sure it must be easier these days to drink coffee at the workplace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 09:18AM

I doubt that's true unless there is a blanket thing in a particular building about having drinks in cups, or unless the building is church-owned. Many buildings to not make coffee available to workers, but there's no requirement to. That's why so many stop by Starbuck's on the way into work.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 09:31AM

I had several occasions to visit the WordPerfect offices in Provo in the early 90's.
No coffee anywhere...but fridges full of sugary sodas (all caffeine-free of course), free for the employees.
Yeah, oh so much more healthy...:(

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 03:57PM

WordPerfect is Mormon-owned.

Posted by: ASA ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 09:36AM

Coffee is available at my work and all work places I visit. Usually for free. We have a department coffee maker used by about half the department and the visitors as well. Although coffee in some form has always been available it is more generally available than 20 years ago in the work place in Utah.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 10:26AM

I suppose there are a few LDS - owned or -managd businesses where coffee, or coffee-making faciilities, are not available. That would be to the company's detriment. First, it means people leaving the workplace to get coffee, so a loss of work time. Second, It creates a two-tier workforce, an elite group who conform to the "higher" WoW standards, and lesser proletariat who indulge in the sinful stuff. The LDS management might be comfortable with that, but cliques do not promote a healthy work environment.

Of course, the layout of office facilities is a strong determinant, but most places provide some sort of break or lunch room. Now, who stole my peanut butter sandwich....Hie2Kolob, I saw you lurking by the refrigerator!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 10:34AM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course, the layout of office facilities is a
> strong determinant, but most places provide some
> sort of break or lunch room. Now, who stole my
> peanut butter sandwich....Hie2Kolob, I saw you
> lurking by the refrigerator!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tqmXTYa3Xw

:)

Posted by: Anon:..; ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 11:09AM

Not widespread at all. My office has a coffee delivery service as do many other neighboring offices. My BIL works for a company owned by a TBM family, and they have coffee in the office for employees and customers. My FIL works for a company owned by a former mission president and temple president, and they have coffee in the office. I'd beg that TSCC is the only large employer in Utah that doesn't have coffee in their offices.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 02:33PM

They provide the coffee maker, but not the coffee. My boyfriend buys the coffee and many of the mormons drink the coffee.

When I worked at Thiokol years ago, they always had coffee.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 02:48PM

In my office of 15 only one person drank coffee and they brought their own.

One day we had a lady visit our office for a week. We showed her where the snack bar was and told her to help herself to sodas, juice and snacks free of charge as she was our guest.

Three days later she burst into tears and we couldn't understand why. Finally she said she had been with us three days and we hadn't offered her any coffee.

Then we realized everyone that wanted coffee used a thermos and we didn't even have a coffee maker in the building.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 03:05PM

I wasnt a regular coffee drinker until about the time I retired. Most of the schools I taught at had coffee makers but I think the they were brought in by staff and those who wanted it chipped in for coffee and creamer etc. Often the coffee pot wad in a specific classroom.No rules, but the schools didnt provide it. I could be wrong because I didnt really drink coffee then.As a sub, it seems the same today. It isnt unusual to see kids and staff come in with coffee

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 05:19PM by bona dea.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 05:04PM

I think it's tolerated so long as it has a picture of a temple on it. :D

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 07:31PM

My work in Utah has coffee. I have any seen a mormon drink some..

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 07:32PM

".....I have even seen a mormon drink some..

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 08:16PM

WordPerfect, which was a large corporate campus, didn't serve coffee on campus when it was new, mid to late 1980s. People coming there from around the country for training classes complained ( a lot, I would imagine). They added coffee machines in the cafeteria.

I had some association with WP in the early 1990s. Coffee was available in the cafeteria, which was the same building the training courses were in. I never noticed if there were coffee pots in the office buildings, but I don't think there were lunchrooms either. The cafeteria was large and centrally located, and people went there.

I regularly took cafeteria coffee back to the office, as did some others. Nobody ever made an issue of it.

I used to bring mixed Jelly Belly jelly beans, and when the TBMs figured out that some of them were coffee flavor, they did bear their testimonies to each other that coffee jelly beans practically made them nauseous. That was fun to watch, and my bowl of jelly beans on the desk started lasting a lot longer. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.