Date: May 23, 2011 02:43PM
This topic seems to come up every so often and I have started a word document where I cut and paste the suggestions people make.
Here's what I have from my file so far (in addition to the ones already mentioned above):
* Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith -- by Jon Krakauer
* In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith -- by Todd M. Compton
* Mormonism - Shadow or Reality? -- by Jerald and Sandra Tanner (pretty much any book by the Tanners)
* Studies of the Book of Mormon -- by B.H. Roberts
* The Demon-Haunted World: Science As A Candle In The Dark -- by Carl Sagan
* Secret Ceremonies -- by Deborah Laake
* Take Back Your Life: Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships -- by Janja Lalich
* By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus: A New Look at the Joseph Smith Papyri -- by Charles M. Larson
* The Book of Mammon: A Book About A Book About The Corporation That Owns The Mormons -- by Daymon M. Smith
* Wife No. 19: The Story of a Life in Bondage, Being a Complete Expose of Mormonism, and Revealing the Sorrows, Sacrifices and Sufferings of Women in Polygamy -- by Ann Eliza Young (read online here for free: http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=5URCAAAAIAAJ&dq=wife%20no.%2019&as_brr=5&source=webstore_bookcard
If you want to stick close to "official" church sources, the "Journal of Discourses" and "Doctrines of Salvation" are what got me started on the road out. BH Roberts was the church historian, so he is a 'safe' bet as well, and Ann Eliza Young was one of Brigham's wives so she has an inside view. I'm in the middle of "Shadow or Reality" at the moment and everything is so well-researched and documented that I don't see how anyone could argue that it is 'made up'.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 02:53PM by AngelCowgirl.