Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 03:16PM

bdeems1 writes ...
======================

"Our Constitution is WHY the Electoral “College” Exists! Back in “Those Days,” a Long Time Ago, Women “Did NOT” Vote, but Colonial Women sure Bore Arms!

Most People ALSO Don’t Know, but When our Third POTUS was Elected, there WAS, “a Problem”? IF the Electoral “College” Vote “Is Tied,” then The US Senate Votes to “Decide” Who the Next POTUS Will Be! “Believe Me,” it’s IN our Constitution! In that Presidential Election there Were ONLY 14 “States,” and a Couple of Virginia “Gentlemen” were Running in That Presidential Election and The Electoral “College” was “TIED” After Several Votes! SO, The US Senate “Voted MANY Times” to “Break the TIE,” and the Senate’s 28 Votes were TIED each Time!

“Don’t WORRY,” Those 2 Virginia “Gentlemen” were the (Early?) Republican named Thomas Jefferson, and The Federalist named John Hancock, “RING Any Bells”???

Our 2nd POTUS Was from a NE Union State, but John Adams was Never a US Senator, but Another NE Union State Senator, who “Apparently” Wasn’t “Very Well” liked(???) Proposed a “Solution” to this “BIG Problem” The USA Faced?

Senator Aaron Burr “Proposed” that Those 2 Virginia “Gentlemen,” Face Off in a Duel to Decide Who the Next POTUS Would Be!

Of Course these 2 Friends Accepted Senator Burr’s “Idea” and were Issued Dueling Pistols in Front of The US Capitol in Washington DC (Our Capitol was Still being Re-Built after Our WAR of 1812!) and Paced Off 10 Paces, Turned and the Federalist John Hancock Fired his Shot! He was “Supposed To” Miss, but John Hancock put a Hole in Thomas Jefferson’s Jacket so Thomas Jefferson just Lowered HIS Pistol and they Shook Hands and Jefferson Became our 3rd POTUS that Day in Washington DC!

Needless to Say, nobody “Liked” Aaron Burr anyway."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 06:15PM

I have NO idea why you are posting this, but to clarify, in the event of a tie in the Electoral College, the House of Representatives decides on the president, with one vote per state. The Senate chooses the VP, with one vote per senator.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 06:22PM

Either you don't like history or you think that the government cannot do whatever it wants.

Posted by: An Historian ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 08:05PM

You are correct that:
1. The election of 1800 had a tie in the Electoral College.
2. John Adams was not a senator.
3. Aaron Burr did fight a duel.

Everything else was wrong. Aaron Burr was from New York. He did not fight a duel with Jefferson - he fought it with Alexander Hamilton - in 1804. Hamilton fired into the ground, Burr fired and killed Hamilton. John Hancock - who died in 1793 - was not involved in any way. Hancock was also from Massachusetts, not Virginia. Burr was not a senator in 1800 either.

In 1800 John Adams was the incumbent President of the United States. That election was the first to involve organized political parties. The constitution originally specified that the electors were to vote for 2 persons. The one with the most votes (provided it was a majority) would be President, the one with the second most votes would be Vice President. The Federalist Party electors voted for Adams, the Democratic-Republican Party electors all voted for Jefferson and Burr intending for Jefferson to be President and Burr Vice President. The Democratic-Republican electors had a majority - as a result there was a tie vote between Jefferson and Burr.The House of Representatives then decided the election (as noted by left4good above) by voting for Jefferson. The Senate had nothing to do with it. As a result of this the XII Amendment was ratified to prevent that situation from occurring again.

And there were 16 states in the US in 1800, not 14.

I have no idea where you got this from, or who bdeems1 is, but it is woefully inaccurate.

Posted by: an exmo ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 08:12AM

Thank you for the clarifications. When I read the OP content I was going to respond myself to have the historical errors cleaned up. But then I read your reply and thought "good, somebody else did it for me". Its certainly quite refreshing to see how exmos generally support truth over any agenda or groupthink mentality. We really do need to self-police ourselves or else we may inadvertently give some dishonest apologists some ammunition that can be used to deceive TBM's into staying TBM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.