Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nevermo4 ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 07:31PM

Hi guys!As the title suggests, I'm a Nevermo. Always been very interested in Mormonism though, (and predominantly how anyone decides to join Mormonism based on the fact that they had never even heard of J Smith before 2 strangers visited their door with All the answers,wow!)...besides BIC's obviously!

Anyway,I've really absorbed all that's been discussed on this forum over the last number of years.
Based on this, If I was suddenly made head of PR in the morning there is much I would change.

1)Firstly,I note how some of you have mentioned that social occasions such as dances( a few noted San Fran etc.) and basketball games used to actually be fun so I would probably distribute leaflets door to door advertising social(Not religious) events in the chapel.Would inevitably attract a few locals to the chapel.Fun,social stuff-that's what folks love!!

2)Think about it!You want the nice normal families to join!Then don't do/advertise the weird stuff like temple stuff,garments etc.That's weird!Drop it!Don't ask the newbies to do that!If normal people come,focus on God,Jesus etc. at sermons.Stop all the 'Follow the prophet' stuff!It's soo weird.BIC's prob won't care too much if this stuff changes.Just Stop!

3)'Visitors welcome'...no they are not!My local Irish chapel used to have a road sign pointing to the church.Now it's gone.Make signs more visible,advertise times.Do NOT stare at newbies as they enter the chapel.Do not approach them in (intimidating) missionary pairs.Relax.Let them INVESTIGATE THEMSELVES.You could literally walk in off the street to any Catholic(etc.) church without question.Think about it LDS...

I have seen with my own eyes, the bishop circulating the grounds asking the youth after the first meeting(sorry,don't know hat it's called) 'What are you doing here?Are you waiting for people or what?Why aren't you inside?'.

4)Stop being so weird!I remember when I was a young teen,maybe 15,knowing nothing about Mormons,seeing 2 normal ones in my local shopping centre.They walked really slowly,smiling and staring in their senior missionary badges and suits.I knew who they were but most in Ireland didn't.
Smile,be normal,stop that weird proselytising.

5)To say the least,people hate control.Prime examples would be;no more alcohol consumption,meat sparingly,mostly in winter,no caffeine or possibly even hot drinks and wear garments and dress conservatively and give up your Sundays and make your teens go to seminary before a really long day in school and please keep three hours Sunday free.

Also please read all our scripture books and please pay at least 10% gross tithing on your income.
OK??

No this is NOT what newbies want.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 09:39PM

fuck off OPie ~

the TSSC's PR dept is currently fully staffed and doing just fine without you ~

sincerely,

Tommy S. Monson
Pres. for life

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 06:35AM

I just love the way a missionary pair will descend upon you, and one each will sit on either side of you as if to keep you from bolting. That is creepy behavior. Damned creepy.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 06:46AM

Creepy indeed they are all creepy and weird i have learned and i didnt want it to rub off on me thats for damn sure.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 08:23AM

Nevermo4, the name of this website is "Recovery from Mormonism", not "Let's all think of ways the church can improve and grow." I think I can safely say that most of us out here would like the cult to shrivel up and die. There are lots of websites that would welcome your drivel. Maybe try posting there instead, or better still, drop your quest to help the brethren out. They're screwing up wonderfully without your help.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 07:55AM

Agreed

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 09:42AM

Nonsense. Why would you strive to make a complete fool of yourself? I don't believe one word you said.

Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 11:06AM

I appreciate the thoughts. Let's face it. The Church will be around a long time. If it would back off some of its extreme views the people left attending would be better off.

Maybe people wouldn't be so trapped with unbearably orthodox family members.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 01:34PM

I would feel like the Iraqi Information Minister!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 06:54AM

If I were in charge of PR, I would quit and go get a real job where I could be honest.

Church PR Job Description: Must have experience in distorting truth and polishing turds. Absence of knowledge of church history preferred.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.