Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 12:02AM

The eclipse ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 03:13AM

No.

No difference in sunlight an hour before the "eclipse," at the peak, or an hour later. The sun, moon, and earth have millions of combinations of positions every year...why was today any different?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:05AM

Although I was not in a full eclipse area, it was captivating.

I wish I could have been in the woods around more leaves to filter and create the dancing crescent shadows.

Also I didn't see any "shadow bands" myself, but I learned more about them (the physics why they happen).

Imagine if you were a cave man seeing these shadows and the eclipse and not having any understanding of what was happening. I feel lucky to have lived in a time to have some of these things explained.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:56AM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish I could have been in the woods around more
> leaves to filter and create the dancing crescent
> shadows.

Plenty of those at my place. One of the photos I took of the effect mid-eclipse:

http://imgur.com/a/Qs6y1

And for Dave: yeah, it was good for me. Glad others enjoyed it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 07:39PM

Cool pic!

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 09:12AM

I have mixed feelings. Cool to experience the totality. The crescent shadows, the shadow bands just before totality. We were with good friends, so nice gathering of people. But it just seemed so short. Guess it was at 2 min 37 sec but it didn't even seem that long. Not life changing, but a good experience except for the traffic. Took us 4 hours to drive the 65 miles home. Watched in TN. Friends in the Midwest and on the SC coast were disappointed as their sky was cloudy or raining.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 09:34AM

"Even the President saw it, but in a move that is not a complete surprise, he looked directly at the sun without any glasses. Perhaps the most impressive thing any President has ever done. " -- Tucker Carlson

=====================================================

Stupid is as stupid does.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 01:04AM

It made me giggle out loud!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 09:51AM

I thought it was cool. But I'm glad I didn't travel from our 94% coverage to 100% and fight the traffic. It was much more fun to have a good time with co-workers in the parking lot.

Posted by: Umbraphile ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 11:35AM

Good attitude, but the difference between 94% and 100% is indescribable. I was gonna go with something like "a kid learning to whistle and a Beethoven symphony", but even that falls short.

I'm stuck in Oregon because of eclipse-related airline clustercuss, and it's still worth it for that two minutes of other-worldly totality. Already making my plans for Chile in 2019.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 09:59AM

I posted about it on another thread. I live in the area where totality occurred. There were unusual colors and shadows when the sun was at a sliver. It was fascinating. During the totality we took off our eclipse glasses and observed the corona. The 1.5 minutes of the totality passed far too quickly. Neighbors began shouting during the totality. One neighbor joined us on the front yard and brought over some great moonshine which we sipped while watching. A friend commented that we would not know if we went blind if it were due to the sun or the moonshine.

The insects (cicadas) started up and the birds (we have tons of feeders and birdhouses) stopped chirping as the totality approached. The rapid change in the sounds around us was also interesting. I should of recorded the sounds of the eclipse. Did not think of that until after. Overall it was great fun. We did not have to leave the house.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 10:54AM

I pretty much ignored it.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 11:08AM

The eclipse was interesting to see.

The traffic was terrible in our small town. Thousands of people (mostly from Utah) all trying to get down I-15, headed home at the same time, driving aggressively as they are prone to do. Had a relative that came up here (Idaho) from Utah. What is normally barely a 3 hour drive took him over 6 to get home.

Here's some pictures of the traffic. A peak flow of 3,700 cars per hour.

http://www.localnews8.com/lifestyle/travel/post-eclipse-traffic-begins/607340752

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 11:24AM by eternal1.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 11:49AM

I came up to Idaho from Salt Lake. Instead of staying in Idaho Falls, I went over to Atomic City. Only a couple of hundred people there. Coming home, I took dirt and back roads that got me to I15 just north of Pocatello. The couple of miles into Pocatello the traffic was moving at about 20 MPH. After Pocatello, 70 to 80 all the way into Salt Lake.

A couple of miles of traffic was well worth the experience of seeing totality. A tittle planing and creativity in avoiding the crowds paid off.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 12:46PM

You were one of the rare ones.

Some of my family went up near Howe and they said there weren't too many people at all. Most of the people heading back from that area took highway 26 into Blackfoot. People in Idaho Falls took either I-15 or highway 91. From 91 and 26 many were trying to get on I-15 in Blackfoot. The lines were backed up for miles.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 11:31AM

Can't wait to see it! What time does it start today?

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 12:39PM

When it went dark on the ground i was impressed.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:04PM

I just didn't care at all.what a snore. I wanted to share in the excitement, but oh well.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:06PM

I went and had a cigarette afterward.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 12:19AM

Haha nice

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:20PM

Posted by: calico ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 11:00PM

Went to Oregon to see the eclipse, it was fantastic! Worth the trip to see the total eclipse itself, but also other interesting phenomenon. We could feel the temperature drop once the sun was about 85% covered, plus the lighting was different. As it became closer to totality, the temperature kept dropping (not a lot, but noticeable) and the lighting made everything look sharper.

During totality, a definite chill in the air and it was semi dark. People were cheering and clapping (us as well) and just astounded by the beauty of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.