Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: guy2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 07:23PM

Came out last month as a non-believer. Have had 2 drinks of alcohol since then. My wife is worried of having booze in the house and of my becoming an alcoholic. IN her defense I have an extremly addictive personality. When studying for the passing the law bar I was upwards of 4 liters of diet mountain dew a day.

Also, I am a criminal attorney and I see everyday the damage of alcohol. I recognize that not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic. But given my profession it seems that everyone is either an alcoholic, so even as a non-believer I am cautious.

I have a few rules, I only drink on friday/saturday night after kids are down, and only in my own home. And I only drink a verry moderate amount. I have seen too many DUIs to ever drink socially, plus I don't want it to drink behind my TBM wife..

What other tips to you guys have to a new drinker?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 07:28PM

H20

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 07:33PM

It's ok to be a bit uppity about your drinking. Try and pair the right drink with the right meal. Say no to swill, if you don't like it don't finish it. Beer is not soda. Organic liquor is extraordinary, stuff like tequila becomes top shelf when you go organic.

Oh, and you should have a beer with your burger and red wine with your steak. And you should have a shot of bourbon at a dive bar.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 07:44PM

Good call drinking at home. If you learn to mix your own cocktails you can do it better than most commercial bars (fresh juices and ingredients, no corner cutting, etc.)

Date: August 22, 2017 07:47PM

I agree. COsts at bars are ridiculous. Right now I like Dew-drivers. 50 ml of vodka with 40 oz of diet cafeeine free mountain dew (to keep myself from getting wired while relaxing). It tastes a,azomg. costs virtually nothing. ANd it really yummy and relaxing. Won't get drunk, won't get a hangover, but will just relax. Perfect end to a week. Who needs bar right?

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 07:59PM

LOL. You got that right.

That would be a $10 drink at a bar.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:16PM

My son turns 21 this Friday.
I just made reservations at Ballast Point Brewery -- we're taking the whole family, plus his girlfriend and her parents. He can order his first legal drink.

I'm not worried about cost -- it's a celebration to begin with, and it's not that expensive anyway (16oz on-tap local craft brews $6, 8oz glass of wine $4). I'm not worried about driving afterward, we're also having dinner and we'll spend at least a couple of hours there. I'll probably have one, maybe 2 beers. And I won't leave until I'm OK to drive.

Yes, not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. In fact, the vast majority of people who drink aren't alcoholics. The CDC estimates that about 7% of Americans have a "drinking problem," and that about 3-4% are "alcoholics." Far from everyone.

Like anything else, enjoy responsibly. Don't be stupid.
It's not that hard.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:11PM

Addiction can take many guises. My wife's is Mormonism in large doses. I like that you set limits. You can also set a limit of one drink with friends--just "nurse" that drink. Cheers!

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:53PM

Drinking Boner? How is your relationship- You OUT and wifey IN?
Just wondering.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 09:08PM

My wife and kids are TBMs--returned missionaries and temple married. I've been out of Mormonism for more than 25 years.

It's complicated with my wife because of the Morg. My kids don't think of me as a "less active" member, they think of me as Dad.

I enjoy a beer with my buddies (many are EXMOs). I also enjoy people, laughing, cussing, coffee, dirt jokes, and the arts. I think what has frustrated my wife the most about me is that I'm successful (however you define it), and all the stories she heard about men who leave the church don't hold up with me.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 08:43PM

Don't make too many rules, nothing beats a good solid buzz once in a while

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 09:38PM

I drink when I'm thirsty. Easy rule.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 10:29PM

Hydrate. Drink a tall glass of water or juice before you go to bed. Drinking alcoholic beverages dehydrates you and dehydration leads to feeling hungover. You can also take a couple of aspirin before going to bed if you've overdone it (NOT Tylenol, which does not combine well with alcohol.)

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 12:00AM

in b 4 ~

only drink in the late evening ~

Oh, occasionally the early evening ~

but usually the late evening ~

or the mid-evening ~

Just the early evening, mid evening and late evening ~

Occasionally, early afternoon, early mid afternoon, or perhaps the late-mid afternoon ~

Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning ~

But never at dusk ~

( srs ) ~

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 12:46PM

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 01:22PM

Here are my rules:

1. No alcohol before 11 am.
2. Get to know your limit, hang-overs are not worth it.
3. Drinking wine when you're not having a meal is gay.
4. Don't be cheap, go straight for the good stuff.
5. Buy now, drink later. Good booze gets better over time.
6. Read up on what you drink, you'll appreciate it more.
7. Drinking alone is sad and pathetic. As long as you are aware of that, carry on!
8. Keep it classy. Don't drink beer from a can (Guinness excepted), wine from a carton, whisky with ice, or pre-mixed cocktails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2017 01:22PM by rt.

Date: August 23, 2017 07:00PM

I think I broke most of your rules. I drank 3 dollar wine, without a meal, in a cheap KFC disposable cup, and I was alone.

Date: August 24, 2017 11:04AM

Technically, there is no rule against drinking alone. It's just sad.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 02:21PM

I like beer, but not cheap beer. Like a previous posters stated don't be cheap buy good stuff.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:42AM

I find it weird that people feel they have to drink. After all, alcohol is a toxin, and they put it in gasoline. Might be cheaper to get some 87 octane at the Shell station and try that. Or try paint thinner or turpentine or some other brain-altering toxin.

I've noticed lately that many can't live without one drug or another. Start the day with caffeine, then go with nicotine during the day, then after get home, do alcohol, then marijuana, then some kind of prescription drug to get to sleep.

And tell their kids to not use drugs. If drugs make life better for adults, why can't we make life better for kids?

Seems most people I know use this stuff until it causes a problem, then have to quit. Young man at work tried getting off coffee and said he had to go through some big withdrawals and headaches.

He's the same guy who cut out the drinking after peeing in his wife's dresser drawer while drunk.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 08:45AM

Free Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it weird that people feel they have to
> drink.

Unfortunate might be a better word. Those who feel they have to drink mostly struggle with alcohol dependence and other more debilitating issues.

> After all, alcohol is a toxin, and they
> put it in gasoline. Might be cheaper to get
> some 87 octane at the Shell station and try that.
> Or try paint thinner or turpentine or some other
> brain-altering toxin.

Christ man, most of us have salt every day. We might as well give up. Why have salt every day when the side effects are so awful.

>
> I've noticed lately that many can't live without
> one drug or another. Start the day with
> caffeine, then go with nicotine during the day,
> then after get home, do alcohol, then marijuana,
> then some kind of prescription drug to get to
> sleep.

You've noticed that have you?

> And tell their kids to not use drugs. If drugs
> make life better for adults, why can't we make
> life better for kids?

Won't anyone think of the children?

> Seems most people I know use this stuff until it
> causes a problem, then have to quit. Young man
> at work tried getting off coffee and said he had
> to go through some big withdrawals and headaches.

I wonder if his headaches were caused by the judgemental douche knuckles at his office?

> He's the same guy who cut out the drinking after
> peeing in his wife's dresser drawer while drunk.

So a perfect example of everyone else in the world. Right?

You know what your problem is?

I didn't think so.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 09:06AM

+10000000

Date: August 24, 2017 11:09AM

> Seems most people I know use this stuff until it causes a problem, then have to quit.

Maybe you should hang with a different crowd...

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 09:07PM

Developing alcoholism mostly depends on a persons family history and at what age a person starts drinking .If both of your parents are alcoholic and you start drinkingas a teenager you have a much higher probability of developing a problem. Not a for certain but chances are much higher. I use to drink A Lot now it's about one or two a month.Rather smoke marijuana than drink.Drinking can get expensive too. Have extra money now I'm not constantly buying 12 packs, vodka and gin.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 12:44AM

Looks like I touched some raw nerves in this thread. Very little substance in the replies, just personal comments and anger.

That is how people react when they are dependent on this stuff.

Almost makes me want to go back to church where people are more rational.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 03:06AM

You might as well. You are as judgmental as the rest of the mormons. Who cares if somebody responsbile you don't know drinks alcohol, drinks caffeine, smokes. It's not hurting you

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.