Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 09:32AM

Suppose you didn't know anything about Mormonism.

Missionaries show up at your door.

After they leave, you look it up.

You'll find a lot of strange things.

If you are a thinking person, you'll run away.

If you are emotionally vulnerable, you might fall for the scam.

So, the question is really how many emotionally vulnerable people (and their potential lifetime coerced donation potential a/k/a "tithing") does it take to offset the the number of people who finally leave...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 09:55AM

TSCC goes for the Jugular: when you are most vulnerable. My husband's relative was recently widowed and somehow, the church or the missionaries found out about it and showed up at his door right after the funeral. They were convincing him to get baptized with the promise he would be together with his wife. My husbands' family were really worried that he was going to join the church so they called my husband to see if he could talk sense into the relative. He called him and explained how TSCC is a scam and don't fall for it. He was able to convince him and he told the missionaries no, thank goodness.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 12:26PM

The missionaries often scan the obit pages. The closest relatives are usually listed, often include which city and state they live in. The missionaries then get the addresses and hit those places.

I've actually had missionaries tell me they do this.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 12:52PM

Yes, this is true, and is done on a regular basis.

Jehovah Witnesses do this as well, very heavily.

Posted by: Done and Done ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 10:11AM

Most people give religion a pass and do not hold it to the same standards as any other part of their lives. It's more about wanting something to be true than researching to find out if it is. They'll always get a second opinion on a serious health procedure, but when it comes to religion they think it's just a preference. Coke or Pepsi? Mormon or Catholic? There are so many religions, so why not choose the one that matches your idea of what you would like it to be Sedan or SUV?

Our MP told us to watch for people who had lost a loved one or were fighting a serious illness because that was the Holy Ghost's way of preparing to accept the gospel. Sickening or Disgusting?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 10:31AM

Perhaps that's why their growth rates are stagnant or negative in most "developed" countries, and their only real growth is in "developing" countries.
You know, the ones with lots of desperately poor people who mostly don't have internet access...?

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 10:42AM

I would add that the church not only grows in areas where most people don't have Internet access, it also grows in areas where people are simple, easy to teach, obedient and not very curious.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 08:11PM

New babies!! Don't forget the baby mill for new members!!!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 11:04AM

Some people are more trusting than others. Some are downright gullible.

I think this comes into play when the missionaries inevitably warn them "And don't pay attention to those horrible lies you will read online about The One True Church."

A critical thinker would've flare on that and gone immediately to the internet. A gullible person buys into it, and may even at that point feel like they've been welcomed into something special that the world is out to destroy.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 12:11PM

"A critical thinker would've flare on that and gone immediately to the internet. A gullible person buys into it, and may even at that point feel like they've been welcomed into something special that the world is out to destroy."

I think your half right. A gullible person buys into it. For missionaries, finding the gullible people is simply a matter of knocking on enough doors.

A critical thinker wouldn't go to the internet. Why? A critical thinker doesn't need the internet. There's really nothing a missionary has to say that isn't laughable on its face - to a critical thinker.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 12:47PM

thingsithink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A critical thinker wouldn't go to the internet.
> Why? A critical thinker doesn't need the
> internet. There's really nothing a missionary has
> to say that isn't laughable on its face - to a
> critical thinker.

Sorry. I fat-fingered my post (on my phone). I meant to say that on hearing from a missionary "Don't go to the internet," a critical thinker WOULD go to the internet."

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 12:37PM

Nearly drowning you at 8 - against your will, and better judgement - isn't exactly recruiting. It's body snatching. Brain washing. Heart smuggling. Indentured Servitude.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 12:47PM

In places like West Africa, it's not just gullibility. If you join, you get to hang with educated Americans and attend services in one of the best buildings in town. Mormons do value certain types of education, and that may be a good value you want your kids exposed to.

In short, hanging out with Mormons may look like a potential economic boost in some quarters, and that may well be true.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 01:18PM

I know this will make anyone who claims to be TBM really angry if they are dishonest. But the honest ones all accept that my thinking is right on target for success. I think the best way to bring in new people in the modern information age will be through our beloved website. Its obvious that a lot of questions are being asked about our wondrous legacy. But when people can quickly go to our official website and quickly find official truthful answers to any of their questions then they will say to themselves "wow what an honest Church; I want to start investigating to learn for myself whether or not its a true Church or not".

If the Church wasn't so remarkably honest, transparent, and truthful on things then we wouldn't be able to call it a true church. We'd have to call it a fraud or some other disparaging label. However thanks to the beloved "continuing revelation" principle we can rest assured that the Saints, and everyone in the lines of authority and responsibility, will do all they possibly can without delay or any runaround games to try to get people the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth on any questions they have. Its so important to do so in order that Satan can't be easily tempted to cause people to think doubtful thoughts that could get them on the path to disassimilation with this wondrous work.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 08:59PM

You really work hard honest TBM.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 02:36PM

Wait. Aren't virtually ALL converts to any religion by definition emotionally vulnerable people?
Thinkers don't convert, do they?

Date: August 31, 2017 10:37PM

I personally think TSCC will implode on itself, by folks leaving by the droves and not that many newbies rushing in the doors....

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 10:40PM

Twin cousins of mine were recruited only about four or five years ago (I found out later, actually, that only one ended up being baptized). The sister who got dunked recently married an RM, and she is hard-core, full-on TBM. I posted here in early July about how I heard from another relative the sad story of how her parents, siblings and other relatives were left standing outside the Oakland temple, and how rudely they were treated by the TBM guests at the reception afterwards... They were even asked to help clean up after the reception!

Anyway, this young woman is only in her late 20s, graduated from a respected UC campus, has parents with advanced degrees in the hard sciences...not exactly someone who isn't tech-savvy or who hasnt grown up with the Net. What I have heard from relatives who know her better is that she really, really wanted a religion to belong to, as she was raised with none... You'd think she would have at least investigated the mainstream faiths her parents were raised with (Catholic dad, Buddhist mom), but for whatever reason she looked into Mormonism. She's now living in Rexburg and is working full-time to support hubby while he studies at BYU-I.

Frankly, I don't understand how anyone joins Mormonism, Scientology, Islam or any other extreme belief system, but obviously if you have a burning desire to belong to a strict belief system, all the information in the world won't make a difference.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 12:06PM

I hear all this talk of people converting. What are they converting FROM ?

Date: September 01, 2017 01:12PM

Date: September 04, 2017 08:15PM

Sometimes converting from NOTHING into something?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 01:48PM

As Bob Dylan said:

"Indeed you're gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord"

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 02:31PM

Extra TRAINING for missionaries on how to Deflect, Deny honest questions is (over)due...

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 05:04PM

Needy people are desperate for ANYthing that makes sense.
On the surface Mormonism appears to have easy answers for life's big questions,

#1. Where did I come from?
#2. Why am I here? and
#3. Where am I going?

Mormon answer:

#1. The Pre-Existence, aka, heaven.
#2. To pass a test of your faith to determine if you're worthy to get back to heaven.
#3. To outer darkness if you don't pay God (the Cult) his GD money Lebowski!

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 01:45AM

We overemphasize the importance of the church's beliefs. On the surface, it may seem that they matter and that people actually believe them. But subconsciously, people want security and comfort and benefits. You can fool yourself into believing, or simply fake it to get those benefits.

My wife joined because she liked the culture - emphasis on family, and children, and the husband supporting her while she raised the kids. Law of chastity and modesty and all.

There is also a ready social network wherever you go. And my wife likes the domestic life - decorating, cooking, crafts, etc, that many in the church also like.

Once I left the church, and she saw I wasn't going to change our lifestyle, she bailed with me. And you discover her understanding of doctrine was a mile wide and an inch deep. Never took it too seriously, or thought deeply about anything. Just repeat the mantra to fit in.

And most of us are tribalists - doing or believing dumb stuff to be accepted by our family, church, gang, tribe, political party or whatever.

Date: September 02, 2017 03:04AM

Free Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We overemphasize the importance of the church's
> beliefs. (...) You can fool yourself
> into believing, or simply fake it to get those
> benefits. (...)
> Never took it too
> seriously, or thought deeply about anything.
> Just repeat the mantra to fit in.
>
> And most of us are tribalists - doing or believing
> dumb stuff to be accepted by our family, church,
> gang, tribe, political party or whatever.

Right on. We used to have a lot of immigrants who joined and went inactive. Sometimes they would come back and introduce new immigrants from the same town or family, who took lessons, were baptized and went inactive too. It seemed these people wanted to fit in with their friends. Hence they wanted to be inactive members of the same church.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 12:27PM

There is a gullible mark born every minute and another fish to take the bait!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 01:06PM by desertman.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 09:14PM

I was watching a nature program not long ago and I noticed that among most species, young animals seem to learn very quickly to avoid the things that hurt them or hurt other members of their group. It usually takes only one attack or one negative interaction for the animal to learn avoidance of danger and stay close to his pack.

Homo sapiens seem to be different. They can see something dangerous happen to a friend or relative and still think there will be a different outcome when they try the same behavior. Think of driving drunk or texting and driving. Homo sapiens can deny to themselves that they have been hurt and continue to receive harm repeatedly without changing their behavior. Think battered wives. Homo sapiens can be in extreme danger and deny that they need any assistance. I saw a woman who was too embarrassed to ask for help when she was choking. She died in the women's room because she didn't want to choke in public.

I think humans are one of the strangest species on this planet. It's a wonder we are not yet extinct. The internet cannot keep humans from being oddly human.

Posted by: mikey ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 03:44PM

As Robert Heinlein so accurately said in one of his books, "Humans are not rational animals, they are rationalizing animals: :)

Posted by: run0emma0run ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 04:33PM

So many good points by those posting on this thread.

Most people need to have an ideology to hold onto, that they feel is the answer to the world's problems.

People need to belong to a group, and it's even better if the group is tight-knit and uniform the world over (like going to McDonald's for your meals when touring Shanghai or Mali - the certainty of it gives you security).

People need stability, and the family teachings appear to provide this - a stable, family group to belong to forever.
An antidote to a world that's tearing itself apart.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 05:48PM

Attractive sister missionaries?

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 06:07PM

Its all about the beaten and the broken in my honest opinion. Sad thing is they get worse the farther and deeper they get in the religion. I know this by my own experience i thought God would heal my physical problems if i went to church and paid tithing but i never healed and only got worse i felt very betrayed but i still feel i can recover from all the nonsense i witnessed.

Posted by: Gd ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 06:36PM

I have wondered the same thing. As a lifelong member, I could "accept" a few odd things. If, however, I was a new investigator one google search and thirty minutes of reading would end my interest. Also, NO ONE has any good answers to the questions and apologists only confuse the issue.

Date: September 04, 2017 08:32PM

I have a good answer to all of it---it'd FAKE. Pretend--all of it.

JS was a fake leader- he did everything he told others NOT to do.

JS remixed 5 books into the BoM, using 3rd grade english.

JS was a Pedophile and woman abuser, which is still practiced today in some places. Threatening and scaring women and girls into his sexual deviate conduct on his whims.

JS practice of polygamy, et al., is disgusting the way he went about it. He did everything he told others not to do and said it was the law.

The BoM is a fictional novel. An easy read, great stories, but NO DNA evidence, in this whole world, that any of it existed!

IF anyone can get past all this and be "okay" with it,
que sera, sera.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 05, 2017 10:57AM

Enjoy the poison pill if you know all that and still join. I guess the attractive person they are chasing is worth the price.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.