Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 01:34PM

....and then this happened.

http://www.todayinmormonhistory.com/2017/08/50-years-ago-today-aug-31-1967.html

I have never considered myself a Republican and I was just 18 then, not yet eligible to vote, but I felt bad for George. IIRC, there were lots of people who agreed with him.

Apologies if you've already read 50 Years in Mormonism today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 01:53PM

Even though was 7 at the time, I remember him saying that he was brainwashed, but not by whom.

When Mitt was first campaigning for President I wondered whether he was George's son. It had not even occurred to me before then that George Romney was Mormon.

More recently, I saw an old photo with Marion Romney looking over one of Mark Hofmann's forgeries.

Edit: I guess Marion was George's cousin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 01:58PM by GregS.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 03:37PM

I think the Romney's, in one line or another, are all related to the Romney's who were polygamists in Mexico.

I'm not sure why, but I used to like to listen to Marion G., although I avoided listening to as many of them as I could. Here's a piece from Wiki about his history:

Romney was born in Colonia Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico, to expatriated parents, George S. Romney and Teressa Artemesia Romney (née Redd).
His father George Romney was a cousin of Michigan governor George W. Romney, who was born in nearby Colonia Dublan. Marion Romney is the second cousin of Mitt Romney, former Massachusetts governor and the 2012 Republican presidential candidate. Teressa Redd was the daughter of Lemuel Hardison Redd and Sariah Louisa Chamberlain. Teressa and George married in 1894 in Colonia Juárez.
Romney was the second of ten children. His younger sister, Lurlene Romney Cheney, later converted to Catholicism and entered a religious order as Sister Mary Catherine, a Carmelite nun at the Carmel of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Holladay, Utah.[1]
Romney studied at Academia Juárez until his family left Mexico in 1912, when violence from the ongoing Mexican revolution spread to their region. He lived with them for the remainder of his youth in California and Idaho. In 1917, the Romneys moved to Rexburg, Idaho, where his father became principal of Ricks Academy. Romney graduated valedictorian of Ricks high school in 1918.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 05:08PM

FYI:

"Lurlene Romney Cheney, later converted to Catholicism ..."

Lurlene had a daughter:

Evona Cheney (1924-2011), who married Jay Huntsman (1923-2002)

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 07:05PM

Wow. This means I am a distant cousin to the Romneys.

Artemesia a/k/a "Mesha" was an ancestress of mine.

She was very good at watercolors.

There was a Romney who was a portrait painter in England way back when. He is a distant ancestor of the Utah Romneys, but of course Artemesia was not a Romney until she got married

The Romneys and the Redds were both in COlonia Juarez escaping the feds and doing their best to keep polygamy alive.

Camilla Kimball, Spencer's wife, grew up in Colonia Juarez in a polygamous household, untl Pancho Villa made life uncomfortable for them and everybody had to leave town fast.

Lovely name, Artemesia.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 04:09PM

GR was SP when I was p n my mish there... Or was he Governor? I forget which, but I remember going to his house after stake conference!

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 05:01PM

If George W. Romney was born in Colonia Dublan in Mexico, how did he qualify to be president?

Just askin'

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 06:47PM

His parents were (still) US citizens.
Children born to 2 US citizens, no matter where they're born, are US citizens.

Just like Ted Cruz was born in Canada, but was born a US citizen. Same thing.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 06:55PM

I shoulda known that. Thanks

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 07:10PM

Funny how he could spot "brainwashing" about this issue but not in his religion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.